Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 07-20-2014, 08:15 PM

Had this on my list for ages and finally bought it. What a great game! Only played a few games so far but it seems like a lot of fun. I am sure it gets even more fun vs human opponents.

I hope the ai stays solid for a while, I need a good plane game
Old 07-23-2014, 08:10 PM

I bought Yomi on the basis of a Boardgamegeek blog recommendation and I like card games. The tutorial isn't great and the game highlights the available cards you can use so it's too easy to start randomly throwing down cards without really understanding what you are doing or why you can only use certain cards at different times.

At first I thought 'Wow, $10 for a stupid rock/paper/scissors guessing game.' After persisting, I thought 'Ok, this is a game about maximizing damage when you guess right.'

After more playing more and reading the forums, I started to realize this is a game about hand management, like poker. Poker is a random game, yet the good players win consistently and understand the odds.

After many more games, I came to appreciate there is even more depth: you must out-fox your opponent on the initial move based on what he's played and his strengths, maximize damage while considering future potential, manage your hand, play according to your characters strength, and capitalize on your opponents characters weakness. All at the same time.

The rock/paper/scissors description of the game does an incredible disservice to the depth and play balance of the game.

I think Yomi is an underrated game with the caveat that it's hard to get into.

Some things that could improve: It would be nice to be able to turn off the card highlight helper to force you to learn the rules. It's one thing to understand which cards you can use in play, it's something else to look at your hand and understand the optimal card to use at that time. Also, the cards have too much text on them. I found turning off the help text on cards to be easier to read. Being able to view all the characters cards from within the app would be a great help. The fantasy strike site is a mixed bag. The few characters who have completed guides provide a wealth of tips, information, and understanding of how to play against other characters. The other guides are incomplete. It's a steep learning curve for newbies.

I think Yomi is an amazing card game that captures the unpredictability of fighting with diverse characters who all play very differently. If you enjoy card games or fighting games then it's well worth your while to check it out.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:09 AM

I can only agree with bungho.

IMO Yomi blows all the card collecting games out of the water.

But since it does not have the card collecting/deck building metagame it might not appeal to the current pay-to-play generation.

A lot of players complain that Yomi is just "Rock/Paper/Scissors" but seem not to realize that their favorite card game is just "Rock/Rock/Rock".
Old 11-07-2014, 09:10 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

Yomi has been on my wishlist for a while so I noticed it was just updated with EX characters and is now Universal! Changing the thread title to reflect the universal change.
Old 11-08-2014, 01:03 PM

Just want to thank the devs for adding the iPhone app for free in the recent update. Inclusion of the EX cards and card list of all decks is great. This is a fun game on the go.

Wish list: higher res cards for the iphone. I can almost make out the unzoomed card stats on a 6 plus. Something like an 'experience doubler' to make grinding for the EX decks feasible. OCD completionists will want all the EX decks & $100 or 700 wins to unlock all decks is a lot.
Old 11-08-2014, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungho View Post
Just want to thank the devs for adding the iPhone app for free in the recent update. Inclusion of the EX cards and card list of all decks is great. This is a fun game on the go.

Wish list: higher res cards for the iphone. I can almost make out the unzoomed card stats on a 6 plus. Something like an 'experience doubler' to make grinding for the EX decks feasible. OCD completionists will want all the EX decks & $100 or 700 wins to unlock all decks is a lot.
You should email what you wrote to the devs. I haven't seen them on the forum, so it would be awesome if your recommendation reached them.
Old 11-08-2014, 02:20 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.morton View Post
I can only agree with bungho.

IMO Yomi blows all the card collecting games out of the water.

But since it does not have the card collecting/deck building metagame it might not appeal to the current pay-to-play generation.

A lot of players complain that Yomi is just "Rock/Paper/Scissors" but seem not to realize that their favorite card game is just "Rock/Rock/Rock".
It is true that it is in a large part based on the ol' roshambo, but with the cards and each characters' unique abilities, it gets a bit deeper than that.

Like if I know my opponent just upgraded a few of his cards to Aces (usually equivalent to a classic fighting game's super move), I need to play extra cautiously as those attacks can be devastating. On the other hand, I might see my opponent's hand is down to 2 cards, he's already made a few huge moves, and feel pretty confident all he has left is a lame block card or 2, and therefore try to come at him with a throw he likely can't counter.

I'm still pretty new to the game and must admit many of the characters' powers, like Grave's, where I think I get what his ability does but can't figure out how best to use it effectively.

Last edited by LordGek; 11-08-2014 at 02:26 PM..
Old 11-08-2014, 02:43 PM
iPhone 5s, iOS 8.x

So is this worth it to play on a 5S?

What if you plan on playing exclusively solo? Also one review online mentioned you must be online to play this game-- true or not?
Old 11-08-2014, 02:45 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by V Kuolema View Post
So is this worth it to play on a 5S?

What if you plan on playing exclusively solo? Also one review online mentioned you must be online to play this game-- true or not?
You can play against the computer offline, no problem.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:41 PM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

First they brought us digital Yomi on the go with the iPad app, and now we have digital Yomi in your pocket! Thanks guys!!!

But my obvious fanboy status aside, I did actually play a few games of this on my 5C, and it works flawlessly. You can select a card, which will zoom it in, just the like the iPad version, and it's enough to read it, but if you want it a bit bigger, just turn your device upright and zooms the card in even more to fill in the screen at that orientation.

Sizes of cards and buttons are fine, too, as I never accidentally pressed anything I didn't mean to tap on. They did a great job shrinking everything down.