Any good freemium Tower Defence examples?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by multiplang, Sep 19, 2012.

1. multiplang

multiplang Member

May 10, 2012
    Game Developer
    Sydney, Australia
    I know some people probably think "good freemium" is an oxymoron, but I'm doing a bit of research into the best way (or if) it could be done within the TD genre.

The kinds of freemium I really dislike and avoid are where the value is unclear and overall confusing. Say you start playing something and pretty soon you're not going to get any further without a coin pack - but how much progress are you buying? How many times will that be necessary? etc...

On the flipside, an example where I think it's used really nicely would be for example Hero Acadamy, where you can essentially experience the game and play it in complete form, and then optionally buy the other factions if you want to (which i personally did).

One thing I haven't seen though is a freemium Tower Defence example done well (not sure I've seen any freemium TD actually), but I'm hoping some one can point me in the right direction.

I would think maybe I'd do a basic level-set that more or less shows the game, then to get into it properly would be a once off iAP for all the main levels. Any other iAPs after that would be totally non essential.

If you're wondering why do this it all? I guess for me it's something new to try. The best potential it has in my view is to act as a more advanced and elegant version of the lite/paid staple.

2. Human X

Human X Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2012
    Gamer
    Australia
    TowerMadness is a very good freemium TD game. The iAP's are just extra, better weapons or different maps. If you like bright neon graphics, Radiant Defense is also really good. Bloons Tower Defence is a classic TD and probably one of the best.

3. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Tap defenense

4. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    The Creeps is a great (free since last year) TD with a lot for free, and $1 level packs (there is also a buy all option).

5. Cirnol

Cirnol Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2012
    Kingdom Rush is free for a limited time! It's one of the best and not even freemium!

6. Filing Cabinet

Filing Cabinet Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Spice Bandits is the only freemium TD game I have played and it's borderline tolerable.

the game itself is a decent TD with great visuals and polish, but of course the freemium part spoils it.

7. multiplang

multiplang Member

May 10, 2012
    Game Developer
    Sydney, Australia
    Thanks for the suggestions.

@Filing Cabinet in what way does Freemium spoil it? that's basically the kind of sentiment I'm trying to avoid if I decide to go this path...

I don't want freemium to affect (or worse - dictate) game design. I have reservations even about offering better towers for money because to me that throws balance way out of whack.

The content model seems to make the most sense.

8. foxmulderino

foxmulderino Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Student
    Italy
    Spice Bandits of course and I liked it!

9. Filing Cabinet

Filing Cabinet Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2011
    with Spice Bandits, you need to spend Spice [the in game currency] to buy upgrades for towers and unlocks and stuff. Of course earning Spice is tilted more towards IAP. [I would much rather have the game cost a couple of bucks but with an easier/more generous way of earning in game currency]

if you're going freemium just make sure not to unbalance the game to favour IAP heavily and it should be fine.

10. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    Go play army of darkness defense. Then thank me.

11. Sheiva

Sheiva Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2012
    Customer Support and Community Manager at Limbic S
    TowerMadness v1.18

We're close to submitting the next TowerMadness v1.18 update. It will include 7 new FREE maps and a new weapon upgrade. This will apply to all versions of TowerMadness both for iPhone and for iPad. We'll preview a new map each day on our TowerMadness Facebook Page Check it out :) Let me know if you have any questions

12. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Radiant Defence is worth a look

13. Sheiva

Sheiva Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2012
    TowerMadness

CODE GIVEAWAY: We'll be giving away codes to our ad-free version of TowerMadness sometime today on the TowerMadness Facebook Page. Don't miss out! :cool:

14. Aquarius

Aquarius Active Member

Dec 21, 2010
    Israel
    Royal Revolt is good,but it's a reverse TD (like Anomaly Warzone Earth)

15. unc0nnected

unc0nnected Active Member

Oct 15, 2012
    I'm a big fan of Four Days

16. pavarotti2007

pavarotti2007 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    UK
    Tower Madness is definitely a good model to follow. Lots of content in the original price, with decent towers strong enough to finish the levels etc. Then some IAP for some different towers and extra maps.

I don't mind one off payments for level packs etc (Actually think it's a good thing as long as the value for money is there.) but please steer clear of consumable items, totally ruins the experience for me.

17. Sheiva

Sheiva Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2012
    TowerMadness update!

TowerMadness will be getting an update soon with seven all new FREE maps and a new ultimate upgrade for the Electroshock Tower. Here is a preview of the free maps and weapon you will be getting:

Attached Files: