Question Regarding Myst

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by epedemix, Feb 25, 2014.

1. epedemix

epedemix Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2009
    I played The Room, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I was equally pleased when I played The Room II. I purchased Tengami the other day and while viewing the forum topic I saw someone make reference to The Lost City. Needless to say I picked up TLC, and the other 2 similar titles Fire Maple Games had to offer.

My question regarding Myst is this; Is Myst more similar to The Room or The Lost City? Is Myst a Hidden Object game on a grander scale, or a world exploration with an occasional puzzle.

I appreciate any information provided.

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Think its more world exploration with an occasional puzzle.

But Myst is a very famous game and has been out on many different platforms, on youtube its worth looking at a few walkthroughs/videos and see what you think. When it first came out years ago people were blown away by this

3. Topherunhinged

Topherunhinged Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2014
    #3 Topherunhinged, Feb 25, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
    World exploration but the puzzles certainly aren't occasional.

The entires game is about moving from around the world, done screen-by-screen at the time, solving puzzle box puzzles in order to open new sections of the game. The puzzles are all machines which you need to operate but learning the rules of that particular puzzle, what each buttons and lever does, and learning how they all interact with each other and with the gameworld is a big part of the actual puzzle solving.

People were all caught-up because Myst was the first adventure game of it's style and is still quite good to this day. It's sequel, Riven, is also quite good but bear in mind that I've never completed either myself or played them on iOS, my experience is with the older PC versions.

4. epedemix

epedemix Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Good deal, that was exactly what I wanted to know. I think I wanted to buy the sequel when it recently came out or possibly was on sale, but I was not sure if I needed to play the original first. Perhaps I will just purchase Myst and see how I like it. Thank you guys.