Universal 868-HACK by Michael Brough

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Gabrien, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Poto

Poto Member

Mar 30, 2013
    If you guys still aren't sure if you should buy 868-HACK, then you should try the PC/Mac version that is an earlier version than the iOS version. It will give you an idea of what you may be paying for.

Download Links Below
    PC: http://goo.gl/QJb0ZM
    Mac: http://goo.gl/IYStmE

2. Oktagon Games

Oktagon Games Well-Known Member

May 28, 2012
    Game Developer
    Brazil
    Bought it. Playing it. Loving it!

3. Natachai

Natachai Member

Jul 11, 2012
    moving priority

If a virus and a red guy is one space away from you. which one will move first? What is the moving priority in this game

4. Natachai

Natachai Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Also why does .row and .col have different cost. is this due to movement priority on the enemies. since obviously there are equal amount of rows to cols.

5. Kamakazie

Kamakazie Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    Game Impressions

This game is amazing. Easily my favorite game on iOS.

6. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
  7. Baracus

Baracus Well-Known Member

I'm happy this thread resurfaced. Forgot to reinstall this on my new devices and now I can't stop playing again. Such a great game! Elegant mechanics, rock hard but 100% fair, short play sessions (good for my limited time these days!), can improve your skills endlessly, thus very satisfying. An acquired taste for sure but it's up there with the very best of game design in my eyes.

I wonder what he's working on next for ios? Helix coming soon I seen but I mean "next" as this guy always seems to have multiple projects on the go!

Just read an interesting article about him on Wired.com and really sad that some of his other titles hardly got any downloads at all :(

Not sure about 868-Hack but it deserves way more no doubt. Love MB's mind!!

Can't help but think a graphical skin would actually get him more attention in the AppStore but guess that goes totally against his grain!

8. Champagne01

Champagne01 Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Status Bar

After recently downloading this and a few similar games, I have to say it's pretty awesome. I noticed the status bar is still there as a transparent overlay on top of the game on the iPhone and the iPad (more noticeable on the former). Does anyone know of a way to turn this off?

Thanks!

9. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    That's weird. I haven't seen that happen on my iPad (Air) or iPhone (5), with fully-updated game app and OS.

I'd suggest it's a random fluke that rebooting could fix, except you see it on two different devices.

Do you have the latest updates? (Are your devices jailbroken? Maybe some system mod has this side effect on the game?)

10. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    It's so great seeing this game getting a little bit of love here on TA. It's turned into my favorite Roguelike (took over Zaga33 about a month ago)...

11. Michael Brough

Michael Brough Active Member

May 5, 2012
    APPARENTLY this is something apple changed in ios7 and I'll have to update the app to fix it. So convenient. I'll get around to that sometime.

12. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    If I had downloaded this game earlier, it would have been my game of the year. Easily. By far the best strategy game I've ever played. Condensed and nearly perfect. Just can't stop playing. So brilliant.

13. Daxmort

Daxmort Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    United Kingdom
    I know this'll sound a little graphics-whore-y considering the nature of the game, but is it retina-display enabled? It looks great, just, I hate blurry lines. I'd much rather play something that looks like this and is crisp, compared to something that has 'proper sprites' but looks blurry and poor (e.g. Street Fighter Vs. Tekken) on the iPad.

14. miroa

miroa Well-Known Member

May 22, 2013
    It doesn't look blurry at all, so you can go ahead :)

15. Daxmort

Daxmort Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Thank you, been hoping for that answer. Very much looking forward to getting into this. :)

16. miroa

miroa Well-Known Member

May 22, 2013
    I am sure you will love being crushed ;)

17. Michael Brough

Michael Brough Active Member

May 5, 2012
    #197 Michael Brough, Aug 30, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
    This has been out for a year so I finally got around to putting it on sale, half price for the next week - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/868-hack/id635749911?mt=8 - so everyone who found the price too much can have a go. (Thanks to everyone who got it at full price too - I can afford to keep making games now so you'll be seeing more from me, I have a couple more things in the works MORE ON THAT SOON)

ALSO I wanted to point out, though most of you probably know about this already, Lucky Frame's Nightmare Cooperative came out - http://luckyframe.co.uk/nightmare/ - it's a roguelike with some inspiration from 868 so if you liked that you might be interested in checking it out!

18. bhavukjain1

bhavukjain1 Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2013
    Made a thread for that under price drops.

19. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Finally picked this up an my god is it good.

And from what I can infer, my name (agent, kid, hacker, etc.) is based upon which programs I allocate during my run?

20. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    That = great news. Wasn't there a sort of circular shooter (Helios? Helix?) being developed at some point?

1st sentence response: You're goddamn right it is.
    2nd sentence response: Though I haven't played in a while, I think the name indicates your avatar's starting stats, ie how many programs you start with, how many resources you start with. As opposed to which progs you acquire and use during the game. Hopefully I'm remembering that right.