Universal Puzzle Craft - (by Chillingo Ltd)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Aug 15, 2012.

1. efoss

efoss Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jun 26, 2009
    So...I can say for sure that not syncing your phone does not protect you from the bug. I just got no-stringed for the second time, at level 24.

After people started posting about various new bugs in 1.0.1, I thought it might be safer to just finish the game before syncing again, without updating to 1.0.1. But apparently you don't need to sync at all for the bug to occur.

So anyway, I'm downloading the update now. Fingers crossed that I don't hit any other critical bugs this time through.

2. Plynx

Plynx Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2011
    Well, I thought I would buy lots of flowers and have a pretty town... I'm a little worried that every time I build something some trees are lost to the landscape with seemingly no way to get them back, and I really like the tree graphics...

I had the same issue in Dragonvale, and thankfully I never removed any trees for the quick XP—now my park looks amazing!

3. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    The problem seems to occur when backing up the data, which occurs when using iCloud and also when synching. So no, not syncing your phone is not enough to prevent this from happening (you'd have to disable iCloud backups as well). If you didn't start a new village before you updated it probably won't work, and even if you did, it still may not. In that case, you will need to delete and reinstall.

4. Teh_Ninja

Teh_Ninja Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    Just updated, everything got wiped, and no 5k in coins... :/

5. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Iirc the coins show up when/after the market is built, so if everything were wiped, there wouldn't be any coins.
    I'm sure Dan and Bartek would appreciate any other info you can provide, such as device and iOS version (see Dan's post above).

I'm sure they will do something to address the coin issue, but getting the crashes and data loss fixed have to happen first.

6. Arwenshade

Arwenshade Active Member

Jul 23, 2012
    Kongsberg, Norway
    Isn't all "match three" style games kinda "grindish"? And most city building games is just sitting around waiting for resources to grow and buildings to be finished?
    Not saying that i don't want to see Even more variation in future updates, but for What it is (all evil bugs aside) i feel the gameplay is refreshing compared to other games in the same genre.. :)

7. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    No, they don't have to be. Dungeon Raid, for example, wasn't at all---until they added grinding for upgrades. :confused:

I wouldn't know, I haven't played any of them. Saying it's better than such "games" seems like a low bar.

8. ArsThanea

ArsThanea Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Sep 9, 2010
    www.atgames.pl
    Warsaw, Poland
    #788 ArsThanea, Sep 4, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
    Puzzle Craft 1.01

Hello guys,

Sorry I didn't respond to your posts in last couple of days, but we have plenty to do after 1.01 patch. Basically we were trying to keep calm (it wasn't easy as you can imagine).
    Under pressure of "nostring" and inapps bugs we fall into "hurry up" trap and now we are suffering for our haste. But we still don't give up and try to make it right. And we need more time for this.

Few words of explanation:
    What we do after instaling update 1.01: we copy save from unsafe location to another (safe) location. Most of players can continue to play with no problems, but again on some of your devices saves are not being copied correctly. It was the only option to save players progress . And again... it worked on our devices as far on Chillingo QA. Again group of 75k devices/players who updated the game proved that you cannot be sure. Some of you got corrupted save and cannot even start game. The only option with such case is to delete and install game again.

Right now our devs are working 12-14h a day to rewrite huge portion of the code. We've already corrected most of bugs given by you on this forum, and on our FB profile:
    - Tools problem
    - Crashes on iPod 4g
    - methane explosions
    - no more moves with butcher
    - long loading time at starting the game
    - and few other minor bugs

What is good, that after installing update 1.01, (if your save was copied correctly) you are safe. We eliminated nostring bug as far as inApps which are working correctly.
    With upcoming patch 1.02 everything will work faster and most likely without crashing.

What's bad - we have a lot of frustrated players who punishes us in comments. I understand this. It's not about 0.99$ but about your time you've lost. We cannot give it back. But we are working hard to make it up to you in the future updates.

Sincere apologies and thanks everyone for understanding.
    Bartek

9. kapshin

kapshin Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    KC, MO
    For those of us that had to to a re-install will we get the 5000 gold once we open our Market? I re-started my game but haven't made it quite that far yet.

10. smirkyC

smirkyC New Member

Sep 4, 2012
    I played happily for a couple hours after my 1.01 update went through (having not previously seen the no_string bug or any others) and everything continued to work great/better. Sadly, now I'm afraid to open up and play again after so many folks seem to have had troubles after their updates.

It seems your statement above indicates that lucky folks like me will probably be ok moving forward at this point? Apparently my addiction to this game is strong enough that I can't wait to get back to playing any longer.

FWIW: iPad3, up-to-date iOS (jailbroken), purchase and update via iOS Appstore w/o syncing, no IAPs made, didn't even know that iCloud was an option.

Thanks!

11. efoss

efoss Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jun 26, 2009
    I definitely am not using iCloud backups either, and I did not sync to iTunes. The no string bug can happen at random just upon launching the game! My advice is to update to the new version, since I don't think anyone has reported any data loss with that one so far. I haven't experienced any since updating at least.

12. MDavis360

MDavis360 Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    I have a question for the Developers-I never got the Achievement "Death and Taxes" even though I have obtained around 6,000 gold from taxes in total. Is there a fix you could implement in your next update that could check this again, and then retrigger the achievement?

13. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    A number of people, who did not have the no string bug, have reported that their saves were wiped when they updated the app. For this reason I am currently avoiding the update. Of course playing the original build I'm in danger of hitting no string at any time so it's a crap shoot either way. I just don't want to update and have my game erased so close to the end, so I guess I'm playing with fire until I finish.

14. Plynx

Plynx Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2011
    Thanks for the update, ArsThanea. This game is worth the effort. I want to point out the missed worker bonus bug where you gain a worker that pops out on level up but if you exit the app not long after clicking it, it's gone for good.

You ought to be able to fix that one though, by computing how many workers a player "should" have based on 3x cottages+level of town.

15. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Plus new workers from Recruiter.

16. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Plus mansions ;)

17. Teh_Ninja

Teh_Ninja Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas

I'm not mad at you, so please don't take my post as that. I don't mind playing for a couple of hours to get my progress back (I really enjoy this game).

I'm sorry for all the people that are crucifying y'all right now. There was a bug, and you have tried everything you can to fix it, and I appreciate that, a lot. It means something to me that you guys are listening to our feedback, and doing your best to fix the bugs that have gotten through.

(PM sent regarding the issue that happened to me)

18. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #798 Vovin, Sep 5, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2012

Hey, it's cool to see that you're working hard on the update and you brought the things, as they were, to our attention. I'd suggest you to take your time to get things fixed. And I know it is hard to be under the pressure of nasty bugs (and nasty players who which never wrote a single line of code in their entire lives).
    Some people complain on a daily base and can't wait for the update... and wonder after that, that the demanded fix might be broken.

19. ArsThanea

ArsThanea Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Sep 9, 2010
    www.atgames.pl
    Warsaw, Poland
    PC Questions tier 5

smirkyC
    From your description I assume you've already installed the patch. If so, and everything works for you, there is no reason to put the game away. With patch 1.01 your kindom is safe.

MDavis360
    Yes, we've fixed also few achievements (taxes, first apple, balanced diet). Now they should trigger properly.

Royce
    There's always a risk that you got nostring in 1.00 . From the other hand installing the patch 1.01 can cause you problem (few % for this). So best solution is to finish the game and if you eventually got nostring - reset the village, download 1.01 and start again.

Plynx
    There's also recruiter which can generate more workers for hire. But we will think of that.

Thanks guys
    Bartek

20. Squeaker

Squeaker Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    But this achievement will only trigger in a new game? As in, it won't recognize that you already have more than 1000 coins in your current game?

Anyone knows what the hidden achievement is?