Metal Angel Updated- Now Close to Awesome

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by ReformatPlanet, Sep 19, 2008.

1. ReformatPlanet

ReformatPlanet Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Film Producer
    NJ/NY
    #1 ReformatPlanet, Sep 19, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2008
    Since it's launch months ago i've been sort of obsessed with the vertical shooter "Metal Angel" from developer Jade. Right out the gate it was one of the most insultingly incomplete/buggy games for the iphone, but potentially offered the best vertical shmup experience on the platform as well.

The recent ver 1.2 update fixed many long standing issues, as well as added touch control as an option over the disastrous tilt control implemented in ver 1.1.

Additional improvements are enemies that fire back aggressively, no more "teleporting" with touch control, and weapons upgrades that seem to function properly.

The game still has a few loose ends like some slow down and annoying sprite flicker, and i experienced a strange glitch fighting the stage 5 boss that caused it to explode/turn invisible and continue to fire at me. I died that moment in the confusion so im not sure what was going on. I also still think the boss should be bigger then my ship by like, a lot, but that might just be years of playing shooters talking.

All and all, i think it's safe to the say the game is finally playable, and even fun for that matter. Shame the developer released it early on the way he did, if it came out as it is now it would have scored much better reviews and faired better in the app store. With it's terminally low scores i doubt it will ever be able to turn itself around at this point.

Here's the link-

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=287261924&mt=8

2. networkman

networkman Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2008
    toronto, canada
    Do you recommend any other shooters on the iphone?

3. ReformatPlanet

Jul 30, 2008
    Film Producer
    NJ/NY
    Not really, there isn't much in terms of this specific genre. "Deadly Space" still has a long ways to go. "Blue Skies" is pretty good but it's not really a typical vertical shooter, it's more in the "Jungle Strike" style of game play.

I just realized i posted this thread on the wrong board as well.

4. dudehuge

dudehuge Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
    Haha ReformatPlanet I think this is your 3rd thread on this game.

I think I'll wait untill all the bugs are gone.

5. davidmdowning42

davidmdowning42 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2008
    I don't find it to be very buggy. Only fault I find is the inability to save or even pause. Otherwise it is for sure the coolest @D space shooter on the app store. And $4 ain't bad.

6. ReformatPlanet

Jul 30, 2008
    Film Producer
    NJ/NY
    It's still pretty buggy, the more i play the more i notice strange things happening. The issue with the Boss disappearing(being destroyed?) and continuing to fire happens every time, and i have seen some regular enemies do this as well. Even stranger is sometimes powerups will appear to be shooting at you. I'm not sure if this was an intentional design or just another bug.

This is still the first release of it i think is actually close to playable.

7. SunHpp

SunHpp Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Hey folks!

I told you I will do an update and It's here !

I'm really happy with the positive feedback this game receive this time and I don't give up updating the game because I get interesting feedbacks from you.

Julien
    CEO of Jadegame
    Web: http://jadegame.com