doom res or doom classic

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Themagictouch, Dec 21, 2009.

?

doom res vs doom classic

1. doom res

9 vote(s)
    52.9%
  2. doom classic

8 vote(s)
    47.1%
  1. Themagictouch

Themagictouch Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    which do you think is better since they are on sale right now?

2. craighauser

craighauser Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    Depends on what you want. Doom classic is well a classic. It is a perfect clone of the original and you can customize the controls and put them whereever you want. However, if you like crisp graphics, this game is obvously not the one for you.

Doom res has great graphics and fast enough gameplay, however it is on rails and that pisses a lot of people off. I don't really mind rails, Iwish it wasn't but it is okay. zEither one is a good buy on this sale.

3. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Tough choice - but since I've got a handful of systems to play Doom on (GBA, Genesis, PC) and only one that plays Doom: Resurrection, I voted for that.

In the long run, Doom Classic is more replayable IMHO, but I'm not so thrilled with the onscreen controls. (And Doom: Res is really good!)

Wolf 3D RPG is also a buck right now!

4. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    You want both. Really, both are awesome. Doom Res is an on rails shooter in the setting of Doom 3. It's definetly the best on rails shooter on the App Store, and graphics to match. The graphics are amazing, almost on par with games like COD: Zombies, but it runs smoothly on all systems, even the 1g.

Doom Classic is just Doom. If you've ever played Doom 1 or 2, you know what this is. The graphics have been updated slightly to where it's noticeable but not completely different. The controls feel good and it has local only multiplayer, which has gotten some criticism.

You just need to get both. It's really hard for me to pick one, but if I did have to pick just one it'd have to be Resurrection. It's just something you can't get on any other platform and was built from the ground up for the iPhone. To add to that, Doom Classic can be played on any system that can run homebrew, like the DS, PSP, and even GBA. There's also a version on Cydia of the game, but it has TERRIBLE controls. If you don't mind paying for the slight updates, go ahead, but the better buy here is Resurrection.

5. le'deuche123

le'deuche123 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Doom classic. Both are outstanding. But doom classic, good as it is now, is going to be amazing. With user generated levels, doom II, and hopefully final doom levels,...it's just more game.

6. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Doom Classic!

7. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    res. if you've played wolf 3d then you've pretty much played all that's offered in doom classic..

8. le'deuche123

le'deuche123 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Take that back!!!! Doom has upstairs and down:D

9. Themagictouch

Jul 14, 2009
    i'm still skeptical on the whole on rails thing what does that mean exactly i just have a general idea

10. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    That means the game and storyline are pre-scripted. You use tilt controls to aim/move the crosshair, and tap the various buttons to dodge/fire/etc.

Think of it more like Doom 3 Meets Time Crisis 3 ;)

11. Themagictouch

Jul 14, 2009
    that sounds not to bad i guess i will have to get both, classic is just plain doom i mean you can't resist that, while doom 3 on iphone with a time crisis sort of thing which i loved time crisis sounds great, god i'm going to go broke this month

12. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    You can't go wrong with both - they are both good and quite different from each other! :) (And yeah, this has been a crazy month for me too. :eek:)

13. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    lol :]