Ever used Adobe Premiere Pro to make an iPhone trailer?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by nicolasgb, Feb 29, 2012.

1. nicolasgb

nicolasgb Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Co-founder at HereWeGames : http://www.facebook.co
    Paris, France
    Hi everyone,
    Can anyone help with some questions on how to use Premiere Pro to make a trailer for an iPhone game?

note : I submitted the same thread on the indie gamer forum board

Context : I'm a total noob in video editing, and now I have to use Premiere Pro on PC to make a trailer for our upcoming iPhone game Ski Champion. The trailer is meant to be posted on video sharing sites such as youtube, vimeo, dailymotion, etc. And embedded into forums such as this one.

I am absolutely struggling right now. Here are some questions I have :

1. What project settings do you recommend? My programmer said DV NTSC, 720x480.
    2. Anything else I should be setting properly upfront to avoid issues at the end?
    3. When I import still screengrabs from the game (taken with an iPhone 4S), they appear either cropped or stretched even though the resolution is the same (I resized them to 720x480). Any idea how to avoid that? Margins would be acceptable.
    4. I am planning to use Camstudio on my PC to record 960x640 footage within Unity, and then downsize to 720x480. Sounds like a good plan? Anything I should know?
    5. What is a good program (ideally free) to resize and rotate a video?

Thanks in advance!
    Nicolas

2. Justin@PhykenMedia

Justin@PhykenMedia Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2011
    Project Manager
    nicolasgb,

I have created all our game's trailers with Premiere Pro so I do have some experience using the program. However, I am not an expert in video formatting and compression so some of my advice might not be the best. Either way, I have responded to all your questions below so hopefully they help!

3. CJH

CJH Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    #3 CJH, Feb 29, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
    I'm not terribly familiar with Premiere; I'm a FCP editor, but here are my opinions:

1. I wouldn't use 720x480. While it appears that this is a 3:2 aspect ratio just like the iPhone, it's actually displayed as 4:3 and will distort your footage without some adjustments. I would recommend a standard HD 720p project setting if you're using retina footage.

2. and 3. I think #1 pretty much answered these.

4. I wouldn't downsize. Grab the footage and throw it into your 720p project. There will be black bars on the sides unless you crop your footage, throw a background loop behind it, or do some other creative wrangling. Since TVs are a different shape (both 4:3 and 16:9) than iPhones (3:2), that's how it is.

5. Premiere will be able to resize and rotate.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

4. nicolasgb

nicolasgb Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Co-founder at HereWeGames : http://www.facebook.co
    Paris, France
    Many thanks to both ! I'll try your advice and see how it turns out.