A Fiery Pinball

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Photics, Aug 7, 2011.

?

Do you like virtual pinball games?

Poll closed Aug 14, 2011.
  1. Yes — Maybe I'll like yours too!

13 vote(s)
    81.3%
  2. No — You're wasting your time!

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  1. Photics

Photics Well-Known Member

Jun 1, 2010
    I started working on a new app. It's called "A Fiery Pinball". It's supposed to be a 2D virtual pinball game, with cool particle effects, explosions and perhaps some other cool features not normally associated with virtual pinball.

I started a developer log here...
    http://photics.com/game-creation-log-a-fiery-pinball

What's interesting about this project is that the feedback is already pretty negative. Without even seeing the game in action — some seem to think that this is a waste of time. Even I admit that this could be a waste of time, as being successful on the App Store is quite challenging, but I haven't found a pinball game that I like for Mac or iOS — so I'm building my own. Even if no one else buys this game, the project is still successful if I enjoy and play the game... and isn't that what the world expects from independent developers? This project is not about greed. It's about passion. I like virtual pinball games and I'm setting out to make a fun pinball game.

But yeah, I'm still setting out to build a game that others might enjoy too. Do other people like virtual pinball games, or is this project pretty much a waste of time?

2. kaboom132

kaboom132 Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2010
    I LOVE virtual pinball games! I'd almost definitely buy yours if it looked at least decent. One question - it says in your sig that you're the author of the "Unofficial Gamesalad textbook" do you use that? If so, that would be a turnoff as Gamesalad games never work well with my iPod...

3. Photics

Jun 1, 2010
    #3 Photics, Aug 7, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
    It states in your profile that you have an "iPod Touch (2nd Gen)". One of my testing devices is a second generation iPod Touch. That's the lowest device that supports Game Center, so that's where I've drawn my testing line.

I have considered using Corona for this. But because of the amount of particles I'm planning to use, I think GameSalad is better for the project. Plus, I'm porting the game to the Mac, so GameSalad actually makes more sense. Also, I'm one of the best GameSalad developers around... at least in technical matters. So, the performance should be pretty good. :)

4. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    I've never had problems with Gamesalad, but then I have the latest unit. And I love virtual pinballs if they're good!

5. kaboom132

kaboom132 Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Cool! As long as it performs well and doesn't get filled with bugs (as other GS games have done for me), that should be awesome! Also, it's great that you support 2nd gens!

6. Cowboyman381

Cowboyman381 Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Southern US
    Sounds cool to me, I'd buy it !

Love pinball games.....make it for the iPad too !

The iPad is just perfect for pinball games:)

7. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    I'm probably only one who voted don't waste your time, but I think it would be good if it has some kind of a twist on it. So I'd say go for it. Sorry for that vote I casted :p

8. injuwarrior

injuwarrior Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2011
    USA
    Yeah It depends. I only bought one pinball game so far (one of the Gameprom ones-no retina) and ended up deleting it after getting my 4g. Unless you are bringing something truly unique the table, I'd say it boils down to eye candy. If it is really nice looking, and it is technically solid (bug and glitch free), I could easily see myself buying. Besides, I would kind of like a new pinball game on my device.

9. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

I am always up for a pinball game but there are some pretty good ones already out.

Regarding the Unofficial GameSald app is it noob friendly or do have to know a little already? I bought the rights to a GS game and had someone make one for me but I am interested in learning how to do it.

10. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    Whats wrong with the gameprom pinballs? I enjoy them on the ipad.

11. Photics

Jun 1, 2010
    I think that's the key. This game has to be really good to impress. And since there seems to be significant interest in this game, I'll have to work harder to make it more entertaining.

Right now I'm working on the main table, trying to make it pretty. I noticed that multiple tables per app seems to be a common theme with pinball games. I think I'd rather make one really solid pinball table than three mediocre tables. If you don't agree, I'll be monitoring this thread for feedback.

I try to support the largest audience possible. People leave negative votes when they download the app and then can't play. But since this app will have Game Center, and the explosions/particle effects might be demanding, I'm going to have to limit it to iOS 4.1. That includes the second generation iPod Touch.

Universal Binaries won't be supported until the Fall with GameSalad...
    http://gamesalad.com/corporate/roadmap/

Although, with retina display graphics, it should scale nicely on the iPad. Does it have to be specifically for the iPad to interest you, or are you OK with an iPhone version that's played on the iPad?

Wow, that's cool. I liked this comment a lot. It seems to have made the poll unanimous... that a pinball game is worth the effort. I'm really motivated to work hard on this one.

Well, there will be retina display graphics. I'm still working on the overall look of the game. It's going to be 2D, so I don't think I'll be able to compete with the graphic quality of Gameprom's games. Yet, I am going to try and add unique gameplay to it.

The Unofficial GameSalad Textbook
    does start from the very beginning of working with GameSalad. It's written linearly, from the concept stages and installing the GameSalad software, to publishing an app on the App store. Some of the topics are complicated, like the Math chapter, but I tried to write the book for all skill levels. I can't guarantee that it will help you, but I tried to make the book useful for all GameSalad developers — beginners to advanced. And if you look at the feedback on the app store, you can see that the textbook has been very helpful for other GameSalad developers.

Well, they look really good... and I almost bought them... but then I stopped. The problem I have with War Pinball is that I've seen enough of Charlie Sheen's face in the news already. As for Pinball HD, it looks great... but I'm not a fan of Slayer and something just stopped me. I'm not exactly sure what it was. I watched one of the promo videos and the voice acting seemed unnatural to me, like it would get annoying. I think the promo videos might not be the best presentation of the games.

12. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Honestly, if you haven't found a pinball game you like on the app store, I don't think you are trying very hard. Having said that, more is always better, and I would definitely consider most any pinball game as long as there is a fixed camera view.

13. Photics

Jun 1, 2010
    It's true. I wasn't looking that hard. I missed Pinball Dreams. I read up on that game today. It looks like a pretty solid pinball game... both of them (regular and HD) ...but I think it's too expensive for the app store. As a developer, I think it's great that companies are fighting against the 99¢ race-to-the-bottom. But as a player, I know that pricing games are common.

It seems inevitable that the price will drop for either version of Pinball Dreams. So meanwhile, I can be working on my own pinball game.

I don't like playing pricing games. The plan is to launch this game as a tier-1 app. That's 99¢ in the United States. But even at the price of a candy bar, the game still has to be high-quality to be successful. The iTunes App Store is competitive.

14. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    If you are looking for "computer pinball" tables as opposed to more modern sims, you simply must get Pinball Tristan.

15. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Holy crap Slayer Pinball is a heck of an awesome table! I do admit that I don't like their songs much though (I don't dislike em either).
    -----------------------------------
    To the dev:
    What 'type' of pinball are you trying to make? Can you give some examples?

16. Photics

Jun 1, 2010
    Well, now that my main computer is a Mac. (My Windows PC is stored away.) I miss a game called Space Cadet. I liked the way that game played. It was simple but challenging.

I also liked Crüe Ball when it was first released, but I don't know if I would enjoy it today. One of my favorite real pinball games was Guns and Roses pinball. I liked starting the riot, where lots of pinballs could be released. Other real pinball games that I liked... Bride of Pinbot, Batman, Back to the future, Attack From Mars, Twilight Zone.

The TurboGrafx 16 had some good pinball games, but I don't like them today. The Wii virtual console has largely been disappointing to me. But, I used to play games like Nintendo's Pinball and Sonic Spinball when they were new.

So basically, here are some of the design goals...

• Unlimited Multiball — but I'll have to test to see if this is technically possible. Maybe I'll need to add some sort of limiter... heh... besides iOS hardware slowing down.
    • Flashy colors — The ball is fiery, and I'm going to try and add other effects.
    • Easy start-up — This isn't the arcade, where the objective is to get lots of quarters from players. With BOT, the initial difficulty was too hard for players and it made them unhappy with the game. I'll be designing this game differently, with the aim of making it more enjoyable for casual players... but still challenging for hardcore players.

I think this game will be in the same class as the original Pinball Dreams or Space Cadet. I'm basically building a 2D pinball game, with particle effects. The main difference is in the name — a fiery pinball. I think it looks cool when there are three, four or more fiery orbs bouncing around the screen. I try to keep them in play, but it's just so difficult. That's why I think this game is great fun. The game becomes more challenging with the more balls you have in play, but only one ball is needed to keep the game in play. I think that design should make this game appealing to both casual and hardcore players.

17. Mookmonster

Mookmonster Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    I love pinball games.
    Really really love them

But I'll be honost, if your game doesnt have intriguing board design, I, and many others, will pass.

There are many crap pinball games on the app store, and 95% are total crap.

The little wings pinball app is a good place to start, great physics, but unfortunately a really really boring table design.
    War pinball is really nice, likely the best board design on the app store, but physics needs a bit to be desired.

Honostly, if u can pull of something similar to pinball fx2, like thats on the xbox, you will sell many many many copies. Add unique ramp setups, some additional level mechanics (watch old replays of the twilight zone pinball for some ideas).

A pinball game sinks and swims based on two factors.

1. Appropriate physics/ball control.
    2. Unique entertaining table design.

If you offer nothing new here, dont waste too much time on the app.
    However, if u have something interesting to offer, u can make a good chunk of money.

18. Cowboyman381

Cowboyman381 Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Southern US
    Universal Binaries won't be supported until the Fall with GameSalad...
    http://gamesalad.com/corporate/roadmap/

Although, with retina display graphics, it should scale nicely on the iPad. Does it have to be specifically for the iPad to interest you, or are you OK with an iPhone version that's played on the iPad?

Honestly I would probably still buy it because I have a iPhone 4 too, but I always like a iPad game best !

19. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Ready for beta :D

Damn I love the unlimited multiball from B.I.T.S pinball! Though it had some pretty annoying bugs and even a place where the ball could literally get stuck (also, no nudge/tilt).

Can't say I've played a lot of pinball games but I have played most of the good ones in app store. I could give comparisons of this game's physics and table design if you need it (essentially a beta request :D).

20. Photics

Jun 1, 2010
    I am considering a beta test. :D

If I do it, the beta test would likely be completely volunteer — no compensation. Additionally, beta testers would have to provide personal information about themselves, such as their real name and home address. If I do a beta test, then there's going to be a credits listing. That's why a real name is important.

Don't start sending me personal information right now, as I'm having some trouble with this project.

Right now, the game is looking a little ugly. During some internal testing, it was revealed that the debug mode looked better than the actual game. HA HA! Apparently, the table was too dark. I'll have to find the right balance... a dark enough table so that the fiery balls stand out, but not too dark that it depresses the player.

BOT #1 launched today, so I'm a bit distracted. But once things calm down, I can start work on revising the table. I'm wondering if I should continue to build on the franchise. Maybe the table should have a BOT theme. I'm not sure though. I don't like how pinball tables usually looked so cluttered. Yet, that's what makes them look like pinball tables.