Question regarding iMessage

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by MidianGTX, Mar 1, 2013.

1. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I'm guessing quite a lot of you use it, so maybe someone will know.

For whatever crazy reason, I have a friend who disables iMessage in her phone settings whenever she's at work. If I go to message her, the send button will be blue (iMessage) until after I attempt to send it, when it'll fail and switch to green (SMS).

So my question is this: When she turns iMessage back on, will the send button automatically update and return to blue on my end? Knowing how fussy the service can be I'm thinking it might either take ages to update or just not update at all until she sends me a message. If the latter is true then I'm stuck being unable to communicate. Is there any way I can force it to try sending as iMessage again?

Thanks people!

2. Teh_Ninja

Teh_Ninja Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    When she turns iMessage back on, I'm almost positive she'll reappear as blue on your phone. Now if you sent her something while she had it off, it won't turn that sent SMS to an iText(?), once she turns it back on.

3. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    She's in another country and my free texts don't cover international SMS, so when the iMessage fails, so does the SMS attempt. I just gotta wait it out I guess :p

4. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    So... in the name of science, I shall elaborate.

I had a plan, pretty simple really. Start typing her name in on iMessage on my iPad and see if it was highlighted in blue. It was, so I figured she'd switched it back on.

Long story short: Rebooting my phone switched it from green to blue. If it does update automatically, there seems to be a huge delay before it happens.

5. Teh_Ninja

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    So you seem to have fixed it?

6. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    #6 MidianGTX, Mar 2, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
    Yep, but it requires me to guess when she's turned it back on and reboot. Not ideal, but at least it's a reliable way of telling. I guess automatically updating itself would require too much calling home to Apple with the millions of iMessage devices out there.

7. Teh_Ninja

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    Damn, I wish there was an easier way. Sorry :/