Understanding Iphone Code Signing Process

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Digital Chaos, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Digital Chaos

Digital Chaos Member

Aug 19, 2009
    Hi,
    I want to test my app on my iPod but I got a bit confused trying to understand the the code signing process :confused: .

*Is the Distribution Certificate my company's unique Identifier and hence I only need to generate it once? Is Development certificate needed for every programmer/tester? Do I need to create a different distribution/development certificate for each application?

*What does provisioning profile mean? Do I need a new profile for every application or do I use one for all? What’s the deference between provisioning profile to development/distribution certificate?

*What is the difference between development profile and distribution? Can I test my app on my device with a development profile (but without registering it on the portal as a device)?

Appreciate your help.
    Cheers:)

2. arkanigon

arkanigon Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
    There are 2 types of profiles:

1) Development provisional profile, used for testing your app

2) Distribution provisional profile, used when you are ready to submit your app to the app store

I think that if you used a wildcard type app id... WERWER23423.*

then you can use a single profile for your development provisioning profile for all your apps... and a single profile for your distribution provisioning profile for all your apps.

plus each programmer/tester can be setup with the same development provisional profile.

I believe the distribution and development certificates each only need to be generated once.

3. Digital Chaos

Digital Chaos Member

Aug 19, 2009
    Hi,
    Thanks for the reply:)

Can I test my app on a device with a development profile without registering it in the portal?

Do you use a single profile for your development/distribution provisioning profile for all your apps? I’d still need to create a different AppId for every app, right?

Cheers

4. arkanigon

Dec 24, 2008
    I think the device needs to be registered in the portal in order to test the app o it.

Yes, I use a single developmet profile... and a single distribution profile.. for all my apps.

You don't need to have a different AppID for each app... If you have a wildcard app id .... something with a .* at the end, then it can be used for all your apps.

5. dawvee

dawvee Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    iPhone Developer, DaVoid Digital
    Dublin, Ireland
    Yeah, the only real drawback of the wildcard seems to be that you can't do in-app purchasing with it (each app needs a unique app ID for that).

6. rdklein

rdklein Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2009
    sw developer, tv producer, hw developer (microcodi
    Munich
    The app gets a unique id, only the profile uses the wildcard.

7. Digital Chaos

Digital Chaos Member

Aug 19, 2009
    Hi,
    Thank you all again :)

rdklein, what do you mean by:
    Why do I need a development profile if I can test it also with my distribution profile?

Cheers

8. arkanigon

Dec 24, 2008
    Sorry, I meant there are two different profiles you need. 1 development profile for all your apps... and 1 distribution profile for all your apps...

You can't test with the distribution profile.

9. Digital Chaos

Digital Chaos Member

Aug 19, 2009
    Hi again :),

So do you mean the wild card refers to the profile? And in that case, if I use a wild card profile, I don’t have to create a different APPID for each app?
    Or am I now mixing it all up? :eek:
    Thank you

10. arkanigon

Dec 24, 2008
    Yes, what you said is correct.

As dawvee said, if you want to setup in app purchases, you may need to create a unique app id and development profile for each application... so be aware of that.

But if you're not planning on using in app purchases, then you can go with the wildcard route...

11. Digital Chaos

Digital Chaos Member

Aug 19, 2009
    Thank you all!
    ;)