Help finding games for my wife... and me?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by andsoitgoes, Mar 14, 2011.

1. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

I know this might fit better into the whole category of "What should I get" but I have a few specific requirements and was hoping the entire mass of people at TA could help.

I've recently passed along my 1st gen iPad to my wife and she loves it, tons - but one of the thing she has asked for, as she's played a fair amount before hand, are games that don't require a ton of attention. Stuff she can play while watching TV, etc.

The games she's completed are things such as Yahtzee, Monopoly, Peggle, Bejeweled (some she hasn't beaten completely, but has gotten a bit bored with).

The focus is "mindless" to some degree, but still has substince. I'm going to point her toward a few jigsaw puzzle apps, but I realized that I was lacking with this too.

Simply put, what mostly "passive" games are out there that don't require 110% of your attention but aren't "Freemium" games like We Rule, etc.

I'd really appreciate any help. I've got so damn many games but realize that this is an area that I guess I'm a bit lacking on!

And if the mods determine that this belongs in the other thread, feel free to move it :)

2. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Angry Birds.

3. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Crap, forgot to say she's not a fan of Angry Birds. That was my first recommendation to her ;)

4. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #4 backtothis, Mar 14, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
    Peggle!!!
    Carcasonne
    Blocked

5. Applefan

Applefan Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    student
    Burn the rope is good.

6. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    What about puzzle games that aren't time-sensitive? For example, Geared (1+2) or Collision Effect (not the regular mode, but the puzzles can be done w/o paying much attention).

7. Sandrem

Sandrem Active Member

Mar 4, 2011
    I suggest playing Bubble Ball if you have never tried it. It's a physics puzzle game, really puzzle. You have to think hard to find a way for the ball to go smoothly to the flag with wood or metal. It's a more serious game than most other iOS games. It can hold your attention for very long once you start it. It's a great game to test your logical thinking skills.
    You can check: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bubble-ball/id412089940?mt=8#

8. PhagoCychotic

PhagoCychotic Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    [app]smiles hd[/app]

9. apphame

apphame Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Planner
    Hong Kong
    Angry Bomb
    Plants v.s Zombies
    Tiny Wings
    City Story

10. Jane55

Jane55 Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2010
  11. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Montreal
    World of Goo
    Zen Bound 2
    Collision Effect
    Isaac Newton's Gravity
    Enigmo 2
    ChuChu Rocket
    Drop7
    Osmos

12. thethinice

thethinice Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Hawaii
  13. adorinellen

adorinellen Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Los Blancos
    Look the time for playing games is so limited because we would like to do other things at leisure time, such as watching TV, listening music. Thus those racing, running and battle games require quick reaction are not in the consideration. I think puzzle games are the best choice. Mine goes for cut the rope(crap?) . lol. And what about sudoku games?

14. STYJ

STYJ Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Student
    Singapore
    #14 STYJ, Mar 14, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
    Helsing's fire - the best puzzler on the iOS store IMO because there isn't a time bonus .

Space miner is a very nice dual stick shooter .

League of evil - short sweet games , you should be able to complete each in less than 1 minute , good between tv breaks / advertisements .

Slice it! - another good puzzler without time limit again .

iBlaskMoki is an awesome physics puzzler .

There are alot of good puzzlers that have time bonuses so the faster you complete , the higher the score you get . Games like cut the rope have a time limit and if you don't complete it within that time limit , you lose the game . If you don't get that star before it runs out , you lose the chance of completing it with a 3 star bonus . Land-a panda is another of such a game . Excellent game but could be better if they removed the time bonus .

Platformers are also good . Soosiz , Rolando 1 & 2 are good examples of this .

15. imnostr8t

imnostr8t Active Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Heaven Bay
    how about Versus games?
    or s players games?

16. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    Words with friends HD or scrabble you can play togather unless she doesn't like word games. But dizzypad is really fun too

17. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    From the info i gathered from my girlfriends you cant go wrong with Tiny Wings, every sinlge girl i know is hooked to this game.
    My recommendation if you want something with more substante get her the new Cow Trouble, has a cute story with cows and clouds, fun mechanics. My last picks are Cut the Rope and Cover Orange.
    From all games ive ever shown them, these are the best for girls....

18. vbxz47

vbxz47 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2009
    Ohio
    Osmos, liqua pop, cut the rope, Canabalt.

19. Schatz86

Schatz86 Member

Mar 13, 2011
    Angry Birds
    Pocket Frogs
    Tiny Wings
    Peggle
    Doodle Jump
    Bloons
    Jet Ball

20. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I have several thousand games, and the 2 my wife comes back to are Words with Friends, and PopStar!

Those are NOT my favorite, but she loves them.

Some others that fit your bill - PathPix HD, and PathPix Pro HD. And those have quite good reviews from many ladies.

One last one Color Cross HD - a picross type of game, extremely well done.