Universal Heroes Call (by Defiant Development) [Universal]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by klicktock, May 30, 2012.

1. frisbee10461

frisbee10461 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2012
    Presently, as a wizard, I am level 9, and have 11 out of 18 quests completed. It appears as if the are 30 quests, but some of them are ones I completed as a warrior. So, it seems there are a total of 40 quests, as follows:

20 quests common to warrior and wizard
    10 quests unique to warrior
    10 quests specifically designed for wizard

2. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Is it me or did the price of the wizard go up? For some reason, I thought when I selected the wizard early in the game it was something like 26 gems. Now, it's 65?!?

Just was thinking if I bought the 80 gem in-app, I'd have plenty left over just in case I needed them (for resurrection or whatever).

3. TomekSzymek

TomekSzymek Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Really great game. IMO, the best thing in this are controls. Finally not swiping, i've just started playing, I'm about 5lvl, but that's the first thing that came to my mind.

4. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    The more I follow this thread, the more shady the Devs of this game seems to be.

5. frisbee10461

Feb 16, 2012
    Purchasing the wizard always happened with 65 gems. I downloaded this game on the first day it was released and it was 65 gems back then.

Presently, I am on level 11 with the wizard, and have 17 out of 22 quests completed.

Here is my take on whether you should pay 2.99 for the wizard.

If you played as the warrior, you can play for free and defeat the game (that is, answer your call and be a hero). You do not have to spend any money to win. I completed all 30 quests as the warrior, and did not spend one dime. Also, if you use my tips in earlier posts, you will never die, so you do not have to spend gems to resurrect yourself.

So, if you like the game as the warrior, you will love it as the wizard. If you do not like the game as the warrior, paying to play as the wizard is not a good idea.

I purchased the 80 gems and am now playing as the wizard, partly because I like this game, and partly as a thank you to the developers for releasing such a fine game. I know some people have had some crashes, but as for me, my game crashed one time, and it has not crashed yet while I am playing the wizard.

That is my take on it.

Also, your maximum level as any character (warrior or wizard) is level 15.

Hope this helps,
    Frisbee10461

6. aoisora

aoisora Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2010
    Ok, i like this game n thinking to by gems to unlock the wizard (i always love wizards in this kind of game) and to support the developer.

However i just want to ask 1 thing about the wizard, does he/she use spell as main offensive skills or do the skills act the same as warrior skills (can only be used when the skills are active)?

To make it clearer, im looking at the way wizards fight as in dungeon hunter, diablo and the kinds

7. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    There is surprisingly much to like here, for a Diablo-like (though not very much alike at all). What I do not like, however, is the fact that the game locks up on my iPhone 4, full freeze, during some quests. It can happen randomly, but most of the time it happens when entering certain areas. Currently, this means that I cannot get past In Dreams 2: Bad Penny.

Anyone else seen something along these lines?

8. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Seemed like the first maybe five or so missions, I didn't have any problems. But ever since then I think I've had the game freeze up on me at least once on every quest. The last quest I had, don't remember the name right now, but it's one where you're half-way through advancing to Level 10, it froze about eight times on me....mostly towards the end of the quest (leaving me to believe it's some sort of memory issue).

This is all on my 3GS. If I didn't like the game so much, I wouldn't be even bothering. I did finally get through that last quest on my ninth or so try. Then it froze again on the next quest.

The dev supposedly submitted a fix for this issue more than a week ago, but it still has yet to appear. Hope it does soon as even with the IAP controversy, I do really like the game.

9. Krebmart

Krebmart Member

Jun 11, 2012
    I don't know what you guys are talking about regarding there being 10 unique quests by class. I've defeated the game with both the Wizard and the Knight, and all the quests, except the introductory quest and the concluding quest, are the same. There are a total of 32 - 28 shared quests and 2 unique to each class.

I paid $5 for gems in order to unlock the Wizard, and speed up the quests. It was money decently well spent I guess, but the business model is really annoying. Had I known how little actual content there is, I doubt I would have spent a dime (does that mean the business model is actually a success?).

For example, they claim 100s of enemies, but really, they are just different level versions of the same dozen or so. The equipment/loot is pretty bland and uninteresting. The quest "groups" tend to all play out on the exact same map, with the same general groupings of enemies, and even the same barrels placed in the same spot to be smashed open again.

You can replay quests, but they don't scale in difficulty which means they're trivially easy. In fact, toward the upper levels, most missions are trivially easy.

For me, the games gets some things right - especially the controls. They are what I want on a Diablo-like iPad game. The missions structure is actually a sort of clever idea, although it did lead to some nonsensical plot issues. And while there are too few environments, they're pretty nicely detailed.

The level design layout is not random. That isn't a big deal, but some are poorly laid out, which is close to inexcusable since they were not randomly generated.

But in the end, the business model represents my biggest complaint. I don't mind paying for extra characters, and I wouldn't mind paying for extra quest "groups" that get released in the future. But paying to avoid waiting times is asinine. Especially since you're very quickly looking at 8 hour waits between 5 to 10 minute quests.

10. frisbee10461

Feb 16, 2012
    Hello, all:

In response to some of your questions:

"However i just want to ask 1 thing about the wizard, does he/she use spell as main offensive skills or do the skills act the same as warrior skills (can only be used when the skills are active)?"

Your spells are used offensively, not defensively (as in to heal). For this reason, you should implement the same strategy in terms of buying equipment (that is, buy gear that increases your chances of getting the health orbs).

Some spells are confusion, which, when you cast on an enemy, causes the enemy to fight other enemies for you and poison, which causes an enemy to be poisoned to death.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't know what you guys are talking about regarding there being 10 unique quests by class. I've defeated the game with both the Wizard and the Knight, and all the quests, except the introductory quest and the concluding quest, are the same. There are a total of 32 - 28 shared quests and 2 unique to each class."

As a wizard, I had a dungeon (four quests) called Plan B, and I never had that with the warrior. In fact, when I toggle back and forth between the warrior and wizard dungeons, I see different quests.

"I paid $5 for gems in order to unlock the Wizard, and speed up the quests. It was money decently well spent I guess, but the business model is really annoying. Had I known how little actual content there is, I doubt I would have spent a dime (does that mean the business model is actually a success?)."

I like the fact that I cannot speed up the quests without using gems, and I enjoy that aspect of the game. It is a difference in opinion.

"For example, they claim 100s of enemies, but really, they are just different level versions of the same dozen or so. The equipment/loot is pretty bland and uninteresting. The quest "groups" tend to all play out on the exact same map, with the same general groupings of enemies, and even the same barrels placed in the same spot to be smashed open again."

Come on, the giant trolls didn't get your engines revving?

"You can replay quests, but they don't scale in difficulty which means they're trivially easy. In fact, toward the upper levels, most missions are trivially easy."

The monsters ramp up with your level. For example, in The Auction, when I first played it, the spiders were the red kind only. As I played it more (on higher levels), there were more powerful spiders and enemies I faced only on those higher levels.

"The level design layout is not random. That isn't a big deal, but some are poorly laid out, which is close to inexcusable since they were not randomly generated."

Which ones do you feel are poorly laid out? I think all of the dungeons are linear enough so you are not going off on some weird tangent, but not too linear, so that you can go off exploring.

"But in the end, the business model represents my biggest complaint. I don't mind paying for extra characters, and I wouldn't mind paying for extra quest "groups" that get released in the future. But paying to avoid waiting times is asinine. Especially since you're very quickly looking at 8 hour waits between 5 to 10 minute quests."

For me, that is when I use my gems. Again, it is a difference of opinion.

11. shaboo

shaboo Member

May 18, 2012
    Btw, on my iPhone 4 with iOS 5.1.1 (no jailbreak) I completed the game twice (once with knight, once with wizard) and didn't even have a single crash.

12. shaboo

shaboo Member

May 18, 2012
    #232 shaboo, Jun 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
    Your opinion. Finished the game twice (once with knight, once with wizard) and felt my second game to be a total waste of time as you are basically running through the same (ever repeating) dungeons as before, solving the same quests as before and fighting against the same enemies as before - with only very, very few exceptions. And while the game as knight is already very easy (way too easy for an average player), the game as wizard becomes (due to your ranged attack abilities) even easier, resulting in a quite boring cakewalk. And talking about difficulty: The so-called boss fights are a joke. All this is especially disappointing when one considers that you are usually paying real world cash for those 65 gems required to play as a wizard (opposed to collecting these gems by endlessly replaying quests, which is a quite mindless activity).

Nice graphics, nice controls, but this game has a serious content and replay value problem, combined with greedy economics.

13. MarkoPolo

MarkoPolo Active Member

Jun 6, 2012
    You're replaying the game and you expect it to be different?
    What is your definition of "replay" by the way?

I do agree that the boss fights are too easy. All I do to a lich is stand there and hack and slash, while their minions are surrounding me, and I take them all down and my health bar drops... an inch tops.... too easy. Lich damage should be amped 10X.

Thanks for the advice from an earlier poster, the health draining sword, coupled with +50% health orb bonus, plus an item with knockback is the way to go.... it really lets you take out the fodder, and the archers who hit you get knock while hurting you so 5 of them don't just sit there and whittle you down.

And the game has only crashed once on me... no biggie. Guess I'm lucky

14. aoisora

aoisora Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2010
    Wondering whether the developer is planning to add more contents beside new characters.
    Btw, i know im only at level 5, but i havent encountered crash (iphone4). But now i gave my wife the iphone, left me with ipad1 and itouch4. Hopefully the performance will still be good

15. shaboo

shaboo Member

May 18, 2012
    There are two levels of replay:

1) Playing an already solved quest again (with the same character) for more experience, gold, items and gems - This is quite pointless as you gain exactly zero experience, only very few gold and gems and only completely useless loot. Have you already noticed that - in contrast to playing a quest for the first time - during such a replay you can only find items of the two lowest qualities Trash and Common (i.e. total crap), while Uncommon, Rare, Epic and Legendary items are generally not available?

2) Playing the whole game again (with a different character) - Quite pointless too, as there are simply not enough new elements to make this worthwhile. You may say "But wait, what were the big differences in Diablo or Diablo 2 between playing the game with different characters?" and you are right doing so. However, the difference is that in Heros Call you are paying money for each new character and thus should be offered a bit more! (Yes, I know, alternatively you can mindlessly and tediously play the game hour after hour to collect the necessary gems, if you simply have too much time and want to make a total idiot out of yourself ...)

16. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    So, in Diablo 1 or 2, games that cost 40-70 dollars when they were released, and still cost several dollars, the lack of replayability is acceptable, but Heroes Call, a free game where you can either grind for new characters (a process that really does not take long, not even hours), or pay 3 dollars for a new character, should offer "a bit more"?

Interesting logic. I suppose that, by the same token, we could divide the original purchase cost of Diablo 1 between the three available classes, giving us approximately $15-$20 per class. If we instead use the Blizzard store digital price, we might reach as low as 7 dollars for Diablo, placing the price for each class att 2.33 dollars. The same process for the digital edition of Diablo II results in an individual class price of 2 dollars.

In contrast, Heroes Call, where 65 gems with net you two character classes (one is included for free) and cost 3 dollars to purchase, each class would then set you back 1,5 dollars.

With an hour (or perhaps two) of grinding, you can lower that price to the reasonable $0.

No matter how I twist and turn that argument, I really can't find ANY ground for your reasoning ;)

17. frisbee10461

Feb 16, 2012
    Shift in Game Methodology

Hello all!

I believe that the mindset behind games such as Diablo and Heroes Call is the same, and that may, in part, be why people are disappointed with the Heroes Call experience. Because both of these games are dungeon-based games and use the "point-and-click" or "touch" movement, as opposed to the dual joystick (which I loathe), people may feel the mindsets for both of these games is the same. That may be the reason for disappointment.

A game such as Diablo is an epic adventure. To succeed in this game, you have to put in the time. Because your XP increases exponentially, the more hours you play, the higher you will ascend. As a result, many players will replay the same dungeons to reach an XP level that will enable them to them thrive in a challenging dungeon. Nothing wrong with this mindset for this type of game.

However, use that perspective for Heroes Call, and you will be left disappointed. In this game, you are a person who has to answer a call to become a hero. Be it wizard or warrior, there is a call waiting for you. If you can respond to that call, then, and only then, will you become a hero.

To fulfill your mission to be this hero, there are 30 quests for you to complete. No more. No less. Each quest will bring you that much closer to answering your call. Because of this, your level represents not such much XP, but rather how far you have climbed in terms of responding to this call. So, presently, I am a level-12 wizard, and I have completed 21 out of 30 quests. Because of this, I am about 75% complete on my epic quest to become a hero as a wizard.

The goal of this game is not meant to be completed in one sitting. Or even in two or three sittings. As in life, anything successful means sacrificing, and yes, putting in the time. You are meant to complete this game by playing a little each day over a period of days. If a person plays Heroes Call using this approach, the disappointment will dissipate.

As an example, some people state that they complete a dungeon in 5-10 minutes. For me, it takes about 20 minutes to complete because I am exploring every nook and crannie of the dungeon. I'm not merely trying to get to the end of the quest. I truly want to enjoy my Heroes Call experience.

In fact, this game reminds me of other classic games where the goal is to have you play in short intervals, as opposed to playing for hours on end. Again, nothing wrong with the Diablo mindset. But, applying this mindset here will result in disappointment. For those of you who are using this mindset of rushing through the game, why not try a different approach? Why not try playing this game for an hour a day, over a period of a week? You might just get more out of it.

In terms of replay value, I look at it this way. I am now another character (a wizard), who wants to answer a call to be a hero. Yes, there are similar elements to the warrior character; however, there are monsters I have not seen before EVER as a warrior (the giant giant boss troll was very cool). On top of that, as a wizard, you have to use a different strategy. So, as a warrior, I can hack and slash my way to victory. As a wizard, I have to take more of a reactive approach and use my spells from a distance. By the way, the poison - contagion spell is awesome! Lastly, not all quests as a warrior are identical to those as a wizard, nor is the order the same. So, by playing as a wizard, you'll see new quests and dungeons, use new skills, and encounter new enemies. This adds to the enjoyment of the game.

Just my two cents,
    Frisbee10461

18. MarkoPolo

MarkoPolo Active Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Negative... by replaying the 4th level of Honour Among Thieves, and the 1st level of Monks of Seraph, I am able to grind out a lot more gold to get those epic items that I need to buy. Besides, by now, my setup is pretty much set in stone, so I am grinding for gems and identify scrolls

Although I haven't played the Wizard yet, I think that the usage of different strategies is quite the oppostite of quite pointless.

19. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    I agree with this. You may not get more experience but you definately can get "good" items, gems and identity scrolls by replaying dungeons. Even if it's stuff to sell to get better and better items.

I don't know why I defend this game so much when I've been frustrated as hell with the crashes. But I do like the game and have fun playing it (when I can). Fix the crashes and I'll be happy.

20. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    What are examples of that? I can't think of any "classic games" that penalize you for playing whenever you want.