Preferred FPS accelerometer controls

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Primoz, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    #1 Primoz, Oct 11, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
    I know most of you (or all) - me included like a virtual joystick to move and swipe to look in first person shooters.

But what if one of those (either look or move) has to be controlled by the accelerometer? Which do you like better? (leave gyroscope out of this).

- for "tilt" to move check out the game called "Cube", which is free
    - for "tilt" to look check COD WaW Zombies and in the settings choose accelerometer controls

Here's my opinion. Tilt to move control is bad in every way. You can't really move how you want and it feels very "jumpy". But the creators of Cube did a great job though - accelerometer calibrates each time you stop for a while and the cross indicator is a big help too, but it's still terrible.
    "Tilt" to aim/look is way better imo, you can easily aim and it even adds to the whole first person atmosphere.

What do you think?

2. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    I just really like the Modern Combat series controls and how you can customise them

3. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    #3 Primoz, Oct 11, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2012

You didn't read my post or you're either really immature for saying that.

4. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Well that's immature attacking me like that for an opinion. I did read it and I know you asked what if either moving or aiming was done by accelometer, but I just said I don't even want to answer it, because I'm fine with the default controls. Chill bro.

5. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    @LOLavi, I'm sure you played games with both accelerometer controls, so I'd appreciate if you could answer the question, because I'm keen on knowing your opinion. But that off-topic MC fan-boy post was just unnecessary.

6. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    So was your attack. And I have and I hated them, thats why I said my opinion. And we're talking of FPS games... Not racing games or ball rolling games. I generally hate accelerometer or gyro in shooters. But if I had to choose I'd choose moving

7. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Thanks! That's all I wanted to know :D

Its weird how we two always end up in a fight...

8. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    We do? I don't remember us fighting :p I only remember your name :p

9. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    We did. Right after when I came to this forum xD

10. handintoaster

handintoaster Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2010
    I think doom resurrection worked great with accelerometer controlls. But only because it was on rails. Controlling with tilt and controlling with touch controlls at the same time is awkward.

11. This thread is kind of funny, kind of sounds like you two are playing a FPS against each other. I've never tried a FPS with tilt cause usually I don't like it, is tilt used for line of sight? That might be cool, and what game can we try it on? Mc3?

12. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Mc2, Mc3 and Nova 2,3 I think. Definitely for mc2 n 3

13. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    I posted some game examples which can be played with accelerometer in the first post :)

I never tried using accelerometer in MC - didn't even know it existed. But I really like in COD Zombies how you lean left/right when tilting the device. It really adds to the first person feeling.