★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
02-06-2016, 09:00 PM
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 570
Dynamic Animal AI

Whew - after a few days ive rebuilt the animal Artifical Intelligence and im really happy. They now explore their territories (you can watch them using spiritview) and also can dynamically explore the entire world, as well as be pets and hunt each other. Im really happy with it because my philosophy is to make each element of brightridge do its own thing, and then for all those elements to interact with eat other to create emergent unique situations, and this is one of those game updates that i feel makes a huge difference.

I also took a few hours to create a new enhance Terrain Detail engine. It works with a pool of environment-appropriate elements (like mushrooms in forests) and proceduraly generates them on the fly, because its from a limited number of objects it add a great amount of detail to the immediate surroundings without breaking the CPU or texture memory.




02-10-2016, 01:50 AM
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 570
Baedil and babies

Baedils have adaptive territories and can seek out new homes for them and their children, as well as comfort their babies. Just a quick screen capture of the mother Baedil wandering with her family. You can watch her and the other animals and creatures using your spirit view. You can also keep them as pets.


02-10-2016, 03:14 AM
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,434
@protopop, woooahhhhh that is insane graphics for a mobile, man and considering all that animation stuff that running in the background without any lags is just crazy! i know i will be in love with it once you release the game.

Beta Testing : Forgotten Memories: Alternate Realities, Sky Force 2014, Rush Rally 2

02-10-2016, 04:41 PM
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by redribbon View Post
@protopop, woooahhhhh that is insane graphics for a mobile, man and considering all that animation stuff that running in the background without any lags is just crazy! i know i will be in love with it once you release the game.
Thanks redribbon for all your support I actually grabbed this from the Unity editor, but I have the same thing running on iPhone 6 at a steady 26 - 31 FPS, and faster with more detail on A9 devices. It will work on all 64 bit devices at this level of detail, but it's really cool to see it on iPad Air 2 running with more grass, depth of field, motion blur and more. I would really love to be able to afford an iPad Pro so I can see how it runs there.

I've found that RAM is the biggest bottleneck to mobile games, and the Pro has 4gb (!) so i can only imagine more mobile games will look like this. I'm sure Skyrim could run on an iPhone in the next generation or 2
02-10-2016, 05:06 PM
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protopop View Post
Thanks redribbon for all your support I actually grabbed this from the Unity editor, but I have the same thing running on iPhone 6 at a steady 26 - 31 FPS, and faster with more detail on A9 devices. It will work on all 64 bit devices at this level of detail, but it's really cool to see it on iPad Air 2 running with more grass, depth of field, motion blur and more. I would really love to be able to afford an iPad Pro so I can see how it runs there.

I've found that RAM is the biggest bottleneck to mobile games, and the Pro has 4gb (!) so i can only imagine more mobile games will look like this. I'm sure Skyrim could run on an iPhone in the next generation or 2
yeah agree, ipad pro is a total beast. i bought it because i want to try to design the 3d mesh directly using its pencil, too bad dont have much time right now. i still have my air 2 right now(waiting for air 3 next month ) and i think 6s beats it already. not so sure about skyrim but maybe with a watered down version, it could run on iphone 7

ps. have you try to put more people in town? is it still running smooth?

Beta Testing : Forgotten Memories: Alternate Realities, Sky Force 2014, Rush Rally 2

02-10-2016, 05:34 PM
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by redribbon View Post
yeah agree, ipad pro is a total beast. i bought it because i want to try to design the 3d mesh directly using its pencil, too bad dont have much time right now. i still have my air 2 right now(waiting for air 3 next month ) and i think 6s beats it already. not so sure about skyrim but maybe with a watered down version, it could run on iphone 7

ps. have you try to put more people in town? is it still running smooth?
That's really cool about doing 3d on the iPAd Pro. Ive been looking for a good modelling solution (i built the Baedil bugs in Max but im on Mac now) - depending on how intuitive it is maybe there will be a solution there. I buy most of my models now because I'm a one man show, but i like to build things from scratch whenver i need something i can't find (like the tombstones, baedils, rivers) or i need more flexibility (like my inn and windmill which i built from scratch). Especially the buildings because i am working on a procedurally generated village for the sequel Residi Bay and i really needed that flexibility. I saw people building 3d levels in VR the other day so there's probably a lot of new ways to look at creating content in the near future.

I cant believe i missed the Air 3 preview news - thanks! Even if it has only 2gb of ram it will run brightridge screaming - imagine if they give it 4?

Re: More people - right now im focusing on finishing the AI (done, and its cool) and the bugs (in progress - the worst part ) for a February release. My goal is to make it as rock solid to have a base world that i can add the story too. That said i think it can handle more people. Right now here's about 16 people in the world, most of them in the new inn. The other day i added more Beadil babies to follow the mother (6) and herds of deer (4), and BrightRidge handled it just fine. I think at this point its more about the amount of textures - once something is already in he ga,e the cpu seems to be able to handle new iterations of it pretty well, especially with all my optimizations. What i'll probably do is release the base world, and then see how much i can add in - i really like seeing herds of animals running around. Ill do it after because I know what i have now is working and it takes some time to test new large additions to the world on all the devices. I also want to get the Android version out asap after the IOS launch.
03-18-2016, 12:07 AM
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 570
Just an update. BrightRidge HD is ready I am taking the remaining screenshots for phones tommorow, and have uploaded the build, and then will submit it. The stories are coming in the next update after this one and ive been working hard on something that tells a uniquely brightridge style tale. I'll post an update after I submit it. Meanwhile here are some iPad screenshots.

Giska is the girl/womans name and both are available to shapechange into. For the story version both young and older versions of each character will be part of the story.




Theres a lot of filters in BrightRidge's options. You can get very different looks, like this one with the gaslight filter.


If you can find the secret (or use the cheats) you can fly as a dragon.


Arbor Hill is one of my favorite places, in the ridge just past BrightRidge Inn


This was taken with the ingame camera. you can fly around and take pics, which are saved to your phones photos. Its a simple shot but i like the way the sunlight and atmosphere react in the new version


Spiritview has a new image effect that shimmers around the edges, so you can tell if youre in spiritview or shapechange at a glance


It's pretty CPU intensive and turned off by default but you can enable depth of field (and more) in the options
03-18-2016, 02:33 AM
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Europe, CET
Posts: 2,051
Ooooh, my precious! Release date? *drool*
Absolutely gorgeous, well worth the long wait. Welcome back, Protopop!
I really like the gaslight filter. My first idea - in combination with your "story mode" comment - was "ghost story, cool..."

Story mode alone is a fantastic addition. All the other great stuff is lots of extra sugar and sprinkles on top. And I'm very sure my little one will love the dragon

And I totally forgot to post the material I collected a while back about wood, when you commented that the special wood for the windmill can last hundred years or so.
Will do my best to make time for that today.

Oh, and of course we have to get Apple to feature you. StormbringerGT - who works at Obsidian Entertainment - mentioned in the Planar Conquest thread that he might have contacts. I'll ask him if you are ok with that.

Last edited by Nullzone; 03-18-2016 at 02:42 AM.
03-18-2016, 08:28 AM
Depth of field?! You know how to appeal to the filmmakers/video producers, don't you?!
03-18-2016, 09:27 AM
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protopop View Post

I cant believe i missed the Air 3 preview news - thanks! Even if it has only 2gb of ram it will run brightridge screaming - imagine if they give it 4?

Re: More people - right now im focusing on finishing the AI (done, and its cool) and the bugs (in progress - the worst part ) for a February release. My goal is to make it as rock solid to have a base world that i can add the story too. That said i think it can handle more people. Right now here's about 16 people in the world, most of them in the new inn. The other day i added more Beadil babies to follow the mother (6) and herds of deer (4), and BrightRidge handled it just fine. I think at this point its more about the amount of textures - once something is already in he ga,e the cpu seems to be able to handle new iterations of it pretty well, especially with all my optimizations. What i'll probably do is release the base world, and then see how much i can add in - i really like seeing herds of animals running around. Ill do it after because I know what i have now is working and it takes some time to test new large additions to the world on all the devices. I also want to get the Android version out asap after the IOS launch.
the air 3 will become ipad pro 9.7 according to the rumor and supposed to be revealed this march 21th.

update:
the new screen looks amazing as usual. i just hope you dont wasting your time trying to perfecting everything that in some cases, player cant even see the different. if you want to make a full fledge RPG adventure, i think you better focus on a main quest, huge amount of side quest and definitely the AI since "graphics" is no longer an issue to you i believe

Beta Testing : Forgotten Memories: Alternate Realities, Sky Force 2014, Rush Rally 2