Doom Resurrection or wait for Doom Classic?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by TMAC34, Jul 1, 2009.

?

What should I do???

1. Get Doom Resurrection

15 vote(s)
    32.6%
  2. Pass on Doom Resurrection to wait for Doom Classic

22 vote(s)
    47.8%
  3. Wait for a Price Drop on Doom Resurrection

7 vote(s)
    15.2%
  4. Buy Neither

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. TMAC34

TMAC34 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2008
    New York
    #1 TMAC34, Jul 1, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
    Should I buy Doom Resurrection now or wait for Doom Classic and get that????

2. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
  3. robertf224

robertf224 Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    they're different types of games. I'm getting classic, resurrection doesn't appeal to me. And not that I care, but other people do, this should prob be in the general games and discussions thread. The flamers should arrive shortly

4. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    You forgot the point to get both! So I didn't vote.
    If you like both genres, on-rails shooter and fps, you should get both I think.

5. TMAC34

TMAC34 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2008
    New York
    I don't really wanna get both because chances are they will both be $10 and that'll leave me with like 4 left on my iTunes account. Plus they are obviously similar games even though in classic you will be able to free roam.

6. Rixx

Rixx Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    College Instructor
    Longview, Texas
    Get both , that's my vote.

I already bought DR, and it's really good.

7. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    I actually think they'll be quite different. I also have a feeling Classic will come out at $4.99 or whatever Wolfenstein 3D came out as. DOOM Resurrection is a pretty different (although great) experience from DOOM Classic (at least the classic versions I've played).

8. robertf224

robertf224 Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Yeah I'm thinking it will be at 4.99 also. Maybe 5.99. I don't think they would charge the same price as resurrection for a port. John Carmack is cooler than that:).

9. hex_me

hex_me Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Estimator
    Earth
    I'd still get Doom Resurrection, at first i didn't really like the idea of it being on rails, i thought it would blow, but having played it now it's freaking good fun. The price is a little hefty though, but the game is quality, the videos i dont think do it enough justice. There's plenty of blood and they've included the double barrel shotgun, oh its nice. I like the controls, they work well and are smooth as can be (and allow for calibration). I'm with robot, get both.

10. Pitch_Blak

Pitch_Blak Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    Canada
    Wait for Doom Classic, especially if you're an early fan (for the sake of nostalgia).

DC's price will likely be quite lower than Resurrection too. And let's not forget the Doom 2, Ultimate Doom, and Final Doom DLC!

11. YungAssassin_BHB

YungAssassin_BHB Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2009
    get doom resserection

12. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    I also thought Doom Ressurection wasn't going to be very good. I'm a Doom player since the beginning and just the thought of it being on rails made me cringe. But, I also knew I'd buy it regardless, cause I just love Doom that much! Well, I was pleasantly surprised with how much I'm loving it. It's super fun, and I actually think the on rails aspect HELPS the game be better. Wolf3D is a proper FPS, and does work extremely well on iPhone, but what everyone forgets is that there's no up/down aiming involved. I think that makes it a bit easier to control than, say, the Prey game on the app store. Well Wolf & Doom both have the benefit of being from an era where that's just the way things were, almost all other more modern FPS have free look aiming in all directions. I'm not sure what id will do when they release Quake, hopefully by that time some other games like LiveFire will have come up with even better FPS controls. But basically what I'm trying to say is if D:R was a proper FPS, I think people would be fumbling with the controls half the time instead of blasting the faces off demons. With the on rails, the focus is purely on aiming, shooting, and minor duck/cover mechanics, and it's a frickin blast!

Ok, strayed off topic there, sorry. But pretty much what I'm saying is if you're a big fan of the classic Doom, I'd say wait for that and grab D:R when the price drops. Sure it's a blast, but it's also among the highest priced games. If you love everything Doom, and loved Doom 3, you should grab this game now cause it's a lot of fun. If you just can't come to grips with the on rails part, then I'd just pass on it altogether, but you should at least make sure you try it out at some point in time cause it really is awesome.

13. Alichan76

Alichan76 Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    A quick question. I'm hearing Doom and Wolf 3D in the same sentense often. Is Doom as basic as Wolf? I found Wolf very dull to be honest. Just going from room to room popping Nazi's and dogs, collecting some stuff for no apparent reason, and trying to find the bloody exit. The controls were well done, and the graphics were of course of the time.

So, how do they compare? (Sorry for my divergent question by the way)

14. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Wolf 3D was basically the foundation for Doom. Some people might still find Doom boring, after all it is a 15+ year old game, but it's far and away more complex than Wolf 3D. There is different levels of play, like going up stairs etc. Wolf is just one flat plane the entire time. Also, Doom has better weapons and enemies, and better environments all around. But in the end, they are both basic FPS blast-a-thons. Check out videos of the original Doom, or better yet I'm sure you can come across a free version of it and give it a spin yourself. Actually I think there's an online flash version or something, but sorry, no link. It's one of my all time favorite games, but I did grow up with it so nostalgia plays a big roll. Also, here's a post I wrote about Doom from a while back, hope this helps!

15. sundance kid

sundance kid Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    eehhh
    BFE,AZ
    i voted to wait for doom classic, doom resurrection looks awesome, but 10 bucks is kind of alot, especially if your a fan of the original doom, if you have enough get both otherwise i would wait for doom classic, since you know what it will have, you know what you will be getting with your money.

i played resurrection its fun, kind of short for 10 dollars, but ide still say wait it out for doom classic :)

16. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    No, Doom is a nicer game. They were both kind of revolutionary and the same people generally played both at one time or another. Doom is a much better experience, though. The graphics aren't as dated either (we thought they were incredible in the 90's).

Doom was also a lot more nerve racking. There are a lot more enemies and they're much more violent in Doom.

17. Theta-Omega

Theta-Omega Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Classified
    Both. We need Quake now, but i really, really, really want Half-Life now!

18. Alichan76

Alichan76 Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Thank guys. And BOARDUMB, I sincerely hope, for your sake, you don't ever have to crap your pants and simultaneously cry for joy, lol:D

19. sam the lion

sam the lion Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy
    I'll take both. Maybe I'll wait for a little drop on DR, but I could end up taking it at full price.