Knights of Pen & Paper (By Behold Studios)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by casualty, Oct 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. casualty

casualty Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2010
    #1 casualty, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2012
  2. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Looks neat.

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Niiiiiice. Great graphics and chiptune with a unique twist on the RPG-ing. Looks like a must-buy

4. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

#4 killercow, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
    Knights of Pen & Paper (By Behold Studios)

I didn't saw the existing thread... Shame on me!

5. CoreyB

CoreyB Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Aircraft Mechanic
    Chicago, IL
    This is my favorite android game, I can't wait to play this on ios. Any idea on release date?

6. lazypeon

lazypeon Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Wow, looks incredible! I love the concept! Just picked this up on my Android; will post some impressions later.

7. killercow

On sunday they wrote on their facebook page: "In a plus note, the iOS and PC/Mac versions are coming real soon (hoping for a release this week)."
    Shouldn't be too long now.

8. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    What kind of game is this?

9. venasque

venasque Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Okay this looks really cool. Going to be watching for its release.

10. Mirkwood

Mirkwood Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2012
    Pretty much a guaranteed purchase

11. lazypeon

Patreon Bronze

#11 lazypeon, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
    RPG type game. Thematically, you're a bunch of people playing a classic RPG (think Dungeons and Dragons) at a table with the dungeon master (who controls the difficulty of encounters, etc... ) Your team is built from common stereotypes (nerd, business man, hipster, etc... ) who are each roleplaying a class. Each stereotypical character has some passive ability (eg: the girl pays less at shops), and then is combined with your class (I saw several; at least 5+), which has unique abilities.

What makes this interesting to me is that you get to control the the difficulty of the encounters. You can add more enemies to a fight, or subtract enemies to make it easier -- up to you! Presumably, the more difficult you make the encounter, the better loot/score/something you get.

I got this from like 2-3 minutes of playing, but I really like what I'm seeing so far. Had a few issues on my Galaxy Nexus with text getting cut off, but I imagine the iOS version is a bit more polished. Beautiful pixel art and a really unique theme!

12. lazypeon

Patreon Bronze

Played a bit more over lunch. Totally in love with this game, as a perfect fit for mobile. It feels like it has enough depth to be interesting, but simple enough that I can play for 2 minutes (with or without my full attention).

Once you make it to town, you can do various quests. These include things like killing a certain number of enemies, surviving a certain number of waves, etc... It's really customizable so if your quests is 'Kill 10 Rats', you can decide to kill 5 at a time (really hard) or 1 at a time (really easy). You choose the difficulty.

Each class has 4 different abilities, which can each level up. The included classes are Paladin, Warrior, Rogue, Mage, Druid, and Cleric. Each level up, you put points into one skill, which increases the damage/healing/whatever. Each class has different Attack, Health, Magic, Critical, and Initiative stats, as well as Threat (which I think works like 'agro' in MMO style games).

Battles are relatively simple. You take turns with the enemies in pretty standard JRPG fashion. You can attack, use abilities, or items in your pack. The only items I've seen so far are health and mana potions.

There DOES appear to be IAP (although none on Android yet) in the way of gold, but I don't know to what extent it's necessary. Everything you do costs gold -- travelling, resurrecting characters, buying items -- but since you do earn it by playing the game, I don't know how necessary it is to buy gold. In the 30 minutes or so I've played now, I haven't hit any paywalls yet.

If anyone has questions about the game, let me know.

13. killercow

Thanks for the impressions, can't wait for it (on ios) : )

14. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    When is it coming to iOS?

15. sladeums

sladeums Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Devs said a few days ago they were hoping for some time this week.
    It's in review.

16. Tyra

Tyra Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2011
    Illustration & Graphic Designs
    Germany
    #16 Tyra, Oct 25, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
    Looks like fun - especially for p&p role player ^_____^

17. Chocolate

Chocolate Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Oh wow, i want this game for sure. Looks amazingly fun.

18. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    I want this now! Reminds me of good ol' Kairosoft games

19. Gurahl

Gurahl New Member

Oct 25, 2012
    Besides those 6 classes, there are 6 unlockable classes too!
    If I remember well, they are... Hunter, Bard, Barbarian, Knight, Necromancer and Shaman. You unlock them through quests around the world (first quest for you to find is the Hunter quest)

20. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    What's the price?