What kind of functionality / feature would you like to see in a SHMUP?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by tea, Mar 14, 2014.

1. tea

tea Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2010
    Okay, this may seem overly broad a question, I guess it is.

I recently created my first shmup, it's got a few things to set it apart.
    (evolutionary foes, 2p mode, and soon dynamic environments, ... the thread is here ).

I'm not sure how I got myself to creating a shooting game (although I DO love them, it's just that I always seemed to be working on completely different stuff, and suddenly I put together a prototype quickly and found myself 'cruising' towards a first release),
    but I was really surprised at the... explosion of ideas and questions that this brought to mind, as I realised what looks like a very classic (outdated even) genre actually looks open to endless innovation / improvements.

What I'm trying to figure is:

1 - rather than what is your favorite shmup (Danmaku U is high on my list), why? What defines a great shmup in your opinion.

2 - features that you would really like to see in a shmup, like, stuff that you dream of, think could refresh what is at once a classic and outdated(?) genre.

Maybe later I'll do a poll for features to be added to my own, but for now I hope to get some general ideas please.... shoot.

2. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    #2 Echoen, Mar 14, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
    Well... Einhander. It was such a sick game for a console. Collect guns from defeated enemies, reposition guns, adjustable speed, huge bosses, hidden bonuses, transforming robots. And owning a Squaresoft game kinda felt cool.

[​IMG]

I like having multiple ships that do different things like Phoenix HD. Being able to change ship parts would also be nice. A focus on weapons or ship perks rather than ship bulk.

I also grew up loving Gradius! All the upgrades you'd get were pretty neat. Plus it had the classic Contra cheat code.

3. Topherunhinged

Topherunhinged Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2014
    Just make sure it's well-designed. Features are great but playtest, playtest, playtest. Consider the players path and pace through a level and consider the tactile elements of, what is in my eyes, well-described as game feel.

I care more about a developer putting actual thought behind a title than any feature list.

4. tea

tea Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2010
    #4 tea, Mar 16, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
    Hey I totally agree with the above the idea of this discussion is to find some inspiration both about what we like/miss from shooters we played before, and novel ideas to refresh the genre?

Be assured I won't mmh extract a list from this thread and grind through it :confused:

Yes there is such a thing as 'game feel'. I guess you could put game feel at the top of 'most wanted in a game'. As a dev I think of a game as having a soul, even. What's that? Well some games are interesting to play regardless of feel, and before they're games they're projects, some of which feel good, some of which don't. As such games have a soul in my humble opinion...

Whether feel or soul, however, these things are hard to discuss so don't really know what to make of the above.