Angry Birds merchandise: Rovio sells 1 million t-shirts, 1 million plush toys monthly

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by arta, Sep 12, 2011.

1. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    http://techcrunch.com/2011/09/12/angry-birds-the-brand-rovio-sells-1m-t-shirts-and-1m-plush-toys-per-month/

2. Wow... more cumulative downloads than there are American citizens (2009 census)... that's pretty amazing! I can't wait till it hits the big billion :)

3. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    I wonder if anyone is even surprised by this point...

4. P.T.

P.T. Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Wow sick

5. TiltMyTouch

TiltMyTouch Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2010
    China, son.

6. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Or India (very soon).

7. ToySoldier

ToySoldier Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2011
    That's huge. Makes sense too since I've been seeing more and more Angry Birds shirts around.

8. gwet17

gwet17 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    I'm a little surprised that some people buy physical Angry Birds merch, yes.

9. phattestfatty

phattestfatty Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2010
    what has this world come to? :mad::p

10. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    You think this is a bad thing?

11. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator

Jul 30, 2009
    If you think outside the confines of this forum for a second - all the platforms that Angry Birds is on; all the commercials it is in (the Sprint one comes to mind); all the people - of all ages that play the game -- why wouldn't they want merchandise?

Many video games, characters, series, etc have merchandise associated with them. There are a few stores around here that sell Halo, Call of Duty, Nintendo, etc stuff. So again, why wouldn't Angry Birds have it's own line?

It has the largest audience than any of the other games that sell product, so of course, official and knock off products will appear. What is so surprising? Or what is wrong with it? This isn't a unique offshoot.

12. phattestfatty

phattestfatty Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2010
    I'm not suprised at all. With the popularity of ab, this is expected. And no I don't think it's bad, as it's definitely great for iOS. I just really don't like angry birds. I think it's a boring, repetitive, easy, etc etc etc game and it's received way too much hype for the game it is. Ie. every game with a slingshot is now deemed an ab clone by many or it says it took it from ab. I see people saying contra jour is a ripoff cuz of the art style, land movements, rope, and guess what? A slingshot.:rolleyes: and ab isnt even completely original. I could go on and on with a list of reasons (and from the looks of it I did :p) but i just wanted to say that I would rather it be almost any other game/franchise. b4 I get into a debate though, remember this is just an opinion. I'm sure quite a few people share it with me, but clearly, I'm in the minority :p but still, I congratulate rovio on doing so well, i just really don't like angry birds

13. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    I wonder the developers of Crush the Castle are thinking right now. :D

14. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    What's Crush the Castle?

/endtroll

15. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
  16. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator

Jul 30, 2009
    I happen to like Angry Birds, not just for myself but when I am with a kid they always love to use my phone to play - friends' kids; relatives; etc. But what I am more happy about the merchandise is that it expands the video game "stuff" so to speak. T-shirts are not just my Zelda one, or the FPS'rs, or the other extreme - the cartoons, or pop TV. Angry Birds is thrown in there now and brings credibility to the game which started as "just" an iOS game. And in turn brings attention to the platform.

Cuz you have truly made it when you have a line of plush haven't you?

(I really don't want to turn this into a debate, I just really think that exposure from all fronts is a good thing)

17. Spamcan

Spamcan Well-Known Member

I want to know why they haven't expanded out into a breakfast cereal and animated series yet.

18. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    I'm very happy for these statistics :) Helping Finland's economy a lot I think

19. Luke Kellett

Luke Kellett Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Indie iPhone Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia
    Or at the least a lucky few fin's! Good for them, they have made history thats for sure.

I wonder how their sales compare to those of Mario...? I bet at the very least they have sold more copies in a shorter period of time than the Mario franchise.

20. TakenXXDeadly

TakenXXDeadly Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Student
    Jetpack joyride merchandise would be epic. Way better than angry birds.