Innovative multitouch games

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by different, Jun 28, 2009.

1. different

different Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    #1 different, Jun 28, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2009
    I'd like an opportunity to create a thread where we discuss innovative control mechanics based soley around multitouch. Disregarding onscreen buttons (and for now, accelerometer control), some of the best games I've played revolve around gestures and clever use of multiple inputs. So what are good examples?

Touchgrind was one of the first - sure, the game is flawed on the iPhone's small screen, but beef up the screen size and it becomes something so much more. The two fingers resembling your feet work so well.

Leading on from that we have Sway which is more suited to the iPhone's capability. It's something that would be hard to replicate on a console with the same fluidity of motion - grabbing onto each surface feels incredibly natural.

Next up, Shapium. It's definitely unique, because it uses up to five fingers at once - to trap and manipulate each Shapium to your every whim. Again, very hard to replicate on any other platform.

Similarly, Bed Bugs delivers because of it's approach of using different gestures simultaneously - pinches, swipes, taps, double taps - and up to five at once. Again, it feels like it was always meant to be on iPhone and not another device.

Flight Control is again well suited to the iPhone because the input feels direct - yes, it's not multitouch, but imagine that on a large screen, with many people gathering around and playing.

It's an exciting time for the touch technology, and who knows, we might see more mainstream devices that have great, unique gaming opportunities. Are there any games that you can add to this list? :)

ed: Just realised this has gone in the wrong section, sorry!!

2. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    #2 djflippy, Jun 28, 2009
    [app]Eliss[/app] - Split or join entities, with as many fingers as you can manage. :)

[app]Zen Bound[/app] - Manipulate an object in three dimensions.

3. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    What about Galcon? Original designed to capture 32(!) inputs before Phil found out the hardware only allows a max of 5.

You can attack multiple planets with easy. You can also attack planets other planets, shift units between planets you control, and reroute flying squadrons all at the same time!

---

Fingeric is also another good one. You have to tap, swipe, and hold fingers in a specific order. it's kind of hard to explain the premise but the game is free so you can try it out for yourself

4. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    #4 Kamazar, Jun 28, 2009
    Buggled - Basically finger twister.

Ball Fill - Fill the screen with a certain percentage of balls. Hold your finger down to create them. Little white bouncing balls can destroy them as their being made. Kinda difficult to explain, but it's free, so definitely check it out.

5. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    BeatRider Touch. :eek:

6. different

different Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Eliss - People keep mentioning that, must give it a shot. :)

Zen Bound - Definitely, although it also uses accelerometer for rope direction too. ;)

Galcon - Forgot to mention - that would be cool with 32 inputs. You'd have to have a team of people against another team. :D

Buggled - Looks great. Another one I haven't tried out yet!

7. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    I second Eliss :) one of the best out there ever

8. sundance kid

sundance kid Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    eehhh
    BFE,AZ
    swayyy all the way :):)

9. skamando

skamando Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Student
    Folsom, CA
    Eliss & Sway are the only ones I can really think of where the multitouch is core. Possibly Rasta Monkey.

10. ChaoticBox

ChaoticBox Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    I feel obligated to mention my game Pinch 'n Pop! since no one else will :p

11. theone1007

theone1007 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    USA
    Everyone's forgetting Rolando. Pinch to zoom, swipe to move, two fingers to see the map...

12. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Those are just ways to navigate the interface, not play the game itself.

13. mrchennyken

mrchennyken Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    I'm surprised no one has said Touchgrind yet.

EDIT: Haha I just saw this in the first post. My bad :p

14. Anders

Anders Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Co-owner and CTO at Color Monkey
    Sweden
    Two out of three ain't bad! ;)

15. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Labyrinth was mentioned in the Innovative use of Accelerometer. Looks like you're on the right path ;)

16. Alichan76

Alichan76 Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Eliss Eliss Eliss!!!

17. Anders

Anders Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Co-owner and CTO at Color Monkey
    Sweden
    Haha cool, didn't know that ;)

18. looman9635

looman9635 Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2009
    tap tap revenge, edge, enigmo

19. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    DrawRace

[app]DrawRace[/app] is a top-view car racing game, in which the player must draw the path of the car, in order to get the best line through each corner. In addition, the car's acceleration is controlled by how fast line is drawn.

20. robertf224

robertf224 Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    that's why illusion labs is my favorite. Instead of trying to force the platform to do things it shouldn't be doing, they embrace it and create original concepts.