Do the new batch of iOS games put it on par with PSP?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by donner, Dec 18, 2010.

1. donner

donner Well-Known Member

Im curious if you all think that thenew batch of iOS games put it on par with PSP? Pretty amazing graphics - RR2, Nova 2, Aralon, etc, etc....

How do the new FPS games compare to the ones on PSP in your opinion?

2. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    No but the sheer amount of them speaks volumes PSP is at the end of it's life and IOS is just starting to find it's feet.

I do like the new IOS games and it's far more pocketable but it isn't close to the quality of PSP games as yet.

I do think the potentials there if companys used the same kind of resources.

3. kileriukaslektuviukas

kileriukaslektuviukas Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Lithuania
    The graphics on ios are really amazing and psp can't do it because it's old and it's dying... the fps games on psp sucks iOS platform has better fps games and now the racing games are getting better and better on iOS. Well for the controls I like psp just feels safe... I can say that iOS gaming is just stepping gaming quality, gameplay step!

4. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    No. Just no. Graphically, sure. In some senses, I suppose. Keep in mind that the PSP is sporting 7 year old tech.

But play Metal Gear Solid Peacemaker, or God of War Ghost of Sparta, or Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep, or Final Fantasy Dissidia, or Resistance Retribution, or Socom Fire Team Bravo 3, or Racket and Clank, or any of the Monster Hunter games, or Ace Combat, or either of the Silient Hill games, or most of the Star Wars games, or Grand Theft Auto Vice City Stories, or Manhunt 2 or either of the Spyhon Filter games or Motostorm or Rock Band Unplugged.

You'll see the difference. You'll realize that the iDevice does not compare to the PSP in terms of a dedicated gaming machine. The comparision between the two is reasonably close enough that the cheapness of the appstore puts the iDevice over the top as being more desireable. I'll be the first one to admit that.

Many might say that Gran Turismo was a disappointment, and it was, and that the PSP has no definitive racing title. Real Racing 2 is the only game that can reasonably compare to the best of what the PSP has to offer. I think Midnight Club 3 and Test Drive Unlimited, as well as, surprisingly enough, Juiced 2, are very high quality in terms of PSP releases though. Content-wise, these games easily defeat RR2.

5. donner

donner Well-Known Member

I'm just curious, how do you think a game like NOVA 2 lacks in comparison to a PSP fps? I havnt had a psp in a couple years, but i dont remember the SOCOM games being any better really. NOVA 2 seems to have a good lengthy campaign and robust multiplayer.

6. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    PSP will die in about a year where as iOS gaming is about to overtake the handheld gaming industry.

7. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Graphically, maybe. But depth and control (apart from racing games) is far greater on PSP than iOS.

8. donner

donner Well-Known Member

is there a PSP fps that you would say is better than NOVA 2?

9. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I generally agree with this. But much of this is a matter of taste. Metal Gear Solid does little for me. I despise Monster Hunter, Dissidia, an Crisis Core -- I can think of many iOS non-casual games that are way more fun. Resistance Retribution was pretty but had some of the most ridiculous aim assist of any game I've ever played -- made Gameloft games seem positively challenging. FPSs are a non-starter for me on the PSP, dual-stick shooters suck, and the platform has a serious dearth of western RPGs (nothing of the scope of Aralon, as far as I know). Birth by Sleep started strong for me, but soon bored me (at Cinderella's house, as a matter of fact). And, as it happens, I'm having more fun with Lara Croft on iOS than with any PSP game I've played this year.

The PSP still has a much larger variety of high budget games. But this winter has made it clear that anyone who takes portable gaming seriously should also be looking at iOS
    As economist like to say, it's not a zero sum game.

10. Stirolak26

Stirolak26 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Psp sucks. It just has a bunch of ps2 and ps1 ports and jrpg games. Who the heck owns one for anything beside homebrew and emulation? I had one and all i did was play snes games on it and judging by its software sales most other ppl do as well.

11. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    All of the ga es you mention are dummbed down ps2 games or have better ps2 versions or were ported to the ps2 later down the line. And some like ace combat are on idevices as well with other similar apps. And how can you name a bunch of crappy rscing games with no online multiplayer as better than real racing? Plus who would want to play a racing game on that crappy nub of an analog anyway?

12. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    Like i said i had a psp for like 2 yrs and i dont think it had a single online racing or fighting game and even monster hunter or hardly any games supported infrastructure or online multiplayer.

13. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    The psp doesn't even compare. Believe me I would know.

14. Smartbomb

Smartbomb Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Artist
    England
    I love my pspgo despite rarely using it... It's kinda cute as tech goes... But here's my two cents

I sold my DS ages ago, and haven't used either of my psps since getting an iPhone and then iPad. The latest batch of titles for iOS blur the line IMHO between console and mobile device even more than before, for me the idevice has been leading the pack of the handheld world for quite some time. The only thing (which is slowly changing) is the support from major game companies, once they hop on board with full commitment I believe the psp and ds will topple, the psp more so sadly.

More games like Chinatown wars, chaos rings and infinity blade on ios and the psp/ds becomes a less attractive option for a new customer in the handheld world...

One day, which I hope will happen, apple will make a dedicated home console... I like the idea of that

15. Kubba

Kubba Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    What?!
    Our opinions vastly differ on this topic
    Let me start where I agree with you-the iPhone has better FPS's and western RPG's than the PSP.
    And that's the end of the iPhones advantages
    To say that you didn't enjoy Dissidia, Crisis Core, Metal Gear Solid because they weren't fun-I'd have to question what your sense of fun is. Are you willing to explain, game by game, what is not fun about those titles? And even if you can, can you name an iPhone game (same genre of course) better than the games you listed, and tell me why?
    Crisis Core, Dissidia, MGSPW have given me so may hours of enjoyment, hours that no iPhone game, barring GTA and Space Miner, can match.
    And for good reason as well. As an overall gaming platform, the iPhone is probably better, because the games are so much cheaper and more accessible. However, to argue that iPhone games are actually better than PSP games, especially the classics that you listed off, is bordering on preposterous.

I'm sorry if this post sounds rude or offensive-I don't mean it to be. However, I'm not a fan of putting down an excellent mobile gaming console and its games just because we are on an iPhone gaming forum. All the criticism for the PSP is unwarranted, and, in most cases, shows bias in the critic

16. November's Chopin

November's Chopin Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    #16 November's Chopin, Dec 18, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
    Yet another one with the "if I don't like certain genres this entire device must really suck" attitude. Ooooh, all "I" did was play SNES, therefore every person on the planet must only own the PSP for emulation. Rofl.
    "I" don't use it for emulation. My friend doesn't, so does my friend's friend, and her friend, and so on and so forth. We play PSP games on it *big surprise*.
    Go back to playing something like Doodle Jump, that's more age-appropriate for you. :rolleyes:

I think games like Aralon is close to console-quality, Infinity Blade has good gameplay but it's too simple to be considered console-quality (after all the entire game has you doing that same screen-wiping gesture). But none of Gameloft's games will ever reach the level of complexity no matter how good their graphics are. They are way too predictable. One hero character, a single predetermined path, hell there's even a guide arrow GPS-ing your way to the next checkpoint. It's like something you'd find in miniclip.com, except with pretty graphics.

17. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    PSP doesn't even come close to iOS, in my opinion. The graphics are crap, the controls are crap, the price of games is crap. I used to love my PSP, but now I've come to realise that my iPhone is so much better for gaming. For example there are no FPS games which even come close to the quality of Gameloft's FPS games such as Modern Combat 2, NOVA 2 etc. Real Racing 2 and Aralon are also good examples. And there's a big difference in price too. I can buy like 10 decent iOS games for the price of one crappy PSP game.

18. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    No, im not the only one who only plays snes games on it. On gamefaqs back about a year and a half ago in the psp prime ppl posted so msny emulstion and custom firmware topics they banned th discussion entirely. Ive also talked to a guy while standing in a wii line back when the wii first hit and i had my psp with me and he told me he worked at a gamestop and they had so many returned psps they were like a whole bunch all over their backrooms all over the floors tsking up the whole space. Look at the software sales as well. I personally enjoy the ipad and even my iphone way more for games. I dont Really like consoles or console games outside unwiue ones like on the wii anyway or maybe mario sunshine on gc and some big budget ps2 games, and admit i dont own a 360 or ps3 so my tastes are probably very different. I like western games like morrowind or diablo and rts games like starcraft as well as games like descent 3 and some first person shooters. so i am more of a pc gamer and have a good gaming pc as well. I like some japanese rpgs but only action ones like zelda or secret of mana, before ys which are ports outside one of them, e psp only had that girly game gurumin. I also like indy stuff. Btw when i had a psp i would play free homebrew puzzle games more thsnofficisl psp gsmes prtly due t no loadng times, creativity, indy spirit, and the fact hey were easier to get into withput spending 2 hrs sitting in one place.

Oh and the psp has a horrible design, if a game uses the shoulder buttons it will cramp ur hand after a while and both the dpad and nub are horrible as well and i dont understand how anyone could play rscing games on such controls. I also mentioned the lack of any online play on almost its entire library?

19. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    "Go back to playing something like Doodle Jump, that's more age-appropriate for you."

Why are you even on toucharcade if you think the psp is such a superior system or gaming experience. Wouldnt you be geetting all your portable gaming from it already and not looking at any other venues to get your fix? Why are you putting games on your ipod if the psp is so good? You sound like those gamespot forum members or ign/kotaku/joystiq comment fiends who cries and whose face turns red any article regarding apple, the idevices, or peple supporting and saying gaming is taking off on it appears and if every other argument fails just says "but the controls still suck or only have touch screen" without remembering thst you played zelda on the ds which is touch screen only more than any other ds game.

Oh and id much rather play Donut games rat on run, bagman, soosiz hd, or frogatto on my ipad than any psp platformer.

20. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    "I think games like Aralon is close to console-quality, Infinity Blade has good gameplay but it's too simple to be considered console-quality (after all the entire game has you doing that same screen-wiping gesture). But none of Gameloft's games will ever reach the level of complexity no matter how good their graphics are. They are way too predictable. One hero character, a single predetermined path, hell there's even a guide arrow GPS-ing your way to the next checkpoint. It's like something you'd find in miniclip.com, except with pretty graphics."

Yes, and all your watered down ps2 japanese rpg games with saving princesses and being a long haired hero arent predictable a all. Or all your fighting and racing games with no multiplayer. Yes the psp has such a wide variety of genres. Its only in the last two or so years that its got anything descent like metal gear and resistance, but there is no innovation of gsmeplsy or uniwueness here or snything thst hsnt been dony on sony systems already.