Best RPG for Casual Gamer?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by jedolley, Jan 17, 2012.

1. jedolley

jedolley Member

Oct 4, 2009
    I'm looking for the best iPhone RPG in terms of game play and story, but is not too difficult or challenging. I want something that's immersive, but will be playing it as a time killer or casually. Price isn't a huge factor (don't mind paying for quality), but want something that's rewarding in terms of game play, story, immersive, and decent graphics would be nice.

I've done a search on here for RPGs and have read through the threads and have some games written down, but figured I would ask since I might be looking for something different that was previously asked (i.e. Best RPG may not be for me, maybe due to difficulty).

Thanks in advance.

2. jaze

jaze Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    A Bards Tale

I would recommend A Bards Tale. 100%, its is awesome.

Only rpg ive finished in ages. Great story and characters. took me 23 or so hours to finish and i didnt complete every side quest. truly an awesome game.

3. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Agreed, though I'm not sure how "casual" it is. On the one hand, the item management is mostly automated, which takes away a lot of the drudgery typical of the genre. On the other hand, the game is fairly complex and pretty challenging at times.

I think something like Bug Heroes or Squids may be a better fit. Inotia 3 is also fairly easy, though definitely not simplified.

4. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Gameloft's Dungeon Hunters 1 and 2 are great for RPG beginners.

5. jedolley

jedolley Member

Oct 4, 2009
    I'm not really an RPG beginner... RPG is definitely my favorite genre and I have played many of the classics. The reason I am looking for some more casual RPGs is because I plan to play them in short stints. For example, during down times at work, breaks & lunches, waiting for an appointment, etc.

I've played DH1 and it was ok... Decent hack & slash, but void of an real story. I may try DH2 if I don't get any other suggestions, but I am assume there is better stuff out there.

6. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Oh, well that changes things. I think Rimelands and Mage Gauntlet would be two great choices then. Both are among the best RPGs on the AppStore and can be played in relatively short bursts.

7. violentv

violentv Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    #7 violentv, Jan 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
    Rimelands is awesome ! I never got to finish it in my x3 playthroughs ..due to some nasty bug righttttt at the end but everything is fixed up now.

eh...I suppose Galaxy on Fire 2 falls under the RPG genre too. There is a somewhat decent storyline, decent dog fighting and lots of ship customizations and stations to visit. Outside of the main plot, there are tons of missions which you can complete for extra gold/items/faction points and I think this makes it ideal for someone in your situation.

8. jedolley

jedolley Member

Oct 4, 2009
    Thanks will check them out!

How are the Final Fantasy updates? Will they work for what I am looking for?

9. Darth Ronfar

Darth Ronfar Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    Chrono trigger