Where's my tactical rpg? :-(

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by MisterDrgn, Jul 2, 2009.

1. MisterDrgn

MisterDrgn Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Stuff like Mecho Wars can be fun for a few hours, but I want a serious, deep tactical RPG. Something like Disgaea would be so amazing...

2. yournothere

yournothere Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2009
    ehhhhhh not sure if theres anything like disgaea on the iphones, but disgaea would be a good game on the iphone

3. walsh06

walsh06 Well-Known Member

What are you actually looking for. Is it a jrpg??

4. astrosaurus

astrosaurus Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Designer/Blogger
    Portland, OR
    I would imagine something like that would be on it's way. We're barely a YEAR into the app store. Over the next year or two we'll probably high quality games from just about every genre around.

5. h0130j03

h0130j03 Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Would be pretty awesome if Disgaea made it onto the Idevices. It would probably be the game I would play the most.

6. Chrono

Chrono Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Maybe Square-Enix port Song Summoner (nice iPod game).

7. FilthyCanadian

FilthyCanadian Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Ontario Canada
    #7 FilthyCanadian, Jul 2, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
    Perhaps if people were willing to pay more than 99 cents for a game, you'd have something like this.

8. h0130j03

h0130j03 Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Never played it, but read about it's features. And it would be nice to see a port.

9. robertf224

robertf224 Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    you mean more than 99 cents?

10. FilthyCanadian

FilthyCanadian Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Ontario Canada

Haha, yeah, thanks.

11. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    More than 99c? How absurd.

[​IMG]

12. sethwenen

sethwenen Active Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Mexico
    Song Summoner would be the greatest port ever.

13. dalfiuss

dalfiuss Member

Apr 22, 2009
    People are absolutely willing to pay more than 99 cents, the issue is, most developers are putting out complete garbage and wonder why it isn't selling at their $4.99 price.

Good games need to come before the masses begin paying $5 and up regularly for games, not the other way around.

Strategy RPGs and Turn-based RPGs are both HUGELY untapped markets on the iPhone, and both genres would work extremely well. I am so tired of developers going at the iPhone like they did early on with the DS, with the need to either shoehorn other experiences onto the device, or pander to the unique controls and build something entirely around that.

14. Gamingfun

Gamingfun Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    I think they are talking more in lines of a SRPG like Final Fantasy Tactics, Fire Emblem, Shinning Force, and so on.

I agree we need some of this RPG goodness. I see plenty of action rpgs which we are overstaurated with on the consoles as well :( we need more of the other kinds of rpgs. More turn based would be good for me as well but grid based battles rock :cool:

15. MisterDrgn

MisterDrgn Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. A Fire Emblem-type game would be fun, but I'd prefer more replay value (since in Fire Emblem you only play each map once in a game). I played the original Disgaea for over 100 hours. With randomly generated maps and power-leveling of characters and items, you can get a huge amount of gameplay time vs. the time spent actually designing the game.

16. McCurry

McCurry Member

Jul 3, 2009
    oh yeah I think iphone is made for turn base rpg or tactic gaming. Strat gaming to be exact

just looking some top snes and gba games, and ps1 games. There are so much potential there!

SNES:
    Super Punchout! That would be sick with Iphone
    FF series
    Super Mario RPG
    Secret of Mana
    Chrono Trigger!

gba
    Advance Wars
    Golden Sun
    Harvest Moon
    FF tactic

pc
    Heroes and Might and Magic!!!
    Civ 4

ps1
    blah blah blah

I don't think it take too much trouble to import these games to Iphone. Hell if I know how to do it I would make Chrono Trigger and sell about 1 million copies. 1 million x 5 = 5 million moola for a simple copy and paste!

17. Johno

Johno Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    They need to make ports of the Golden Sun series and Fire Emblem series from the GBA. Graphics wise the iPhone and iPod would have more than enough power for it.

18. Chrono

Chrono Member

Mar 9, 2009
    #18 Chrono, Jul 3, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
  19. sethwenen

sethwenen Active Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Mexico
    Rejoice, cause now I have it in my hands.
    :D

20. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    The port of Final Fantasy Tactics is coming out on the 15th. :D