★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Lumen is Here!

08-02-2008, 01:00 AM
Lumen is Here!

A while back TouchArcade showed a demo of my game, Lumen. While I was completely done with the game at the time of the posting nearly two months ago, Lumen has only just barely been approved by Apple. Although I said in the demo video it would be for $4.99 I have decided to sell it at the low price of $1.99 instead. Unfortunately, Apple got the release date messed up so Lumen will not appear in the new applications list, but you can find it here.

Thank You,
Bridger Maxwell

p.s. I certainly wouldn't mind a positive review or two
08-02-2008, 02:11 AM
Looks good, although I was a bit overwhelmed jumping into it. Even after reading the help section, I was a bit confused as to how to play. It took a bit of trial and error to get into it.

I suggest anyone playing to pick the first game under Easy, the one called "A beginner game" That helped me along. Now my issue, with any other puzzle, is to figure out where to first place the Emitter.

The graphics could use some polishing up a bit, and hopefully you'll add sound (a satisfying laser sound can go a long way.)

This is definitely a more challenging intellectual game. I'll definitely fire up Lumen from time to time when I want to really be challenged.

08-04-2008, 02:32 AM
just watched the youtube video you posted and it definitely looks worth checking out but from the reviews ive read about it, it sounds very challenging and i like games i can beat not ones that i'll throw my phone in anger , i might wait for some more users to comment on it or atleast til you get some sound in it
08-04-2008, 07:24 AM
I downloaded this after seeing the post, too bad Apple screwed up your release. I try to keep a close eye on the releases so nothing slips through the cracks. If this game wasn't mentioned here, i never would have found it.

This style of game is similar to a type of laser-based board game i had previously really liked, with enhancements that could only be available in a digital incarnation. It's pretty cool to have it in a portable version minus all the hardware and set-up.

I booted it up on my lunch break at work and easily killed the given time. The huge selection of puzzles and freedom to explore at your own pace is a welcome change from the linear structure of most games. I like the relaxed feel of not having a timer or a given number of moves to make. A reset button might be a nice addition though, one stage i muddled up so badly with mirrors it took a bit to clear them all away.

I had one concern though, and thats in the limited number of areas in which to place the laser emitters. I understand how it must function to make the solutions to the puzzles very specific, but i feel like a game like this should have a bit more flexibility.

Otherwise, i love it, and hope you continue to work on it and polish up the presentation. It's a unique offering in a sea of break-out and labyrinth clones, and it's very well suited to the iphone.