Old 07-08-2011, 01:19 PM
iPad

Default Pinball Dreams HD [Universal App] [v1.2 - New Camera modes, Bug fixes]

Retina Screenshots
(click to enlarge)

iPad Screenshots:
(click to enlarge)

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Last edited by ImNoSuperMan; 07-13-2011 at 05:59 AM..
Old 07-08-2011, 01:27 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 5.x

It's back!

I'll just say right off the bat that it is a fairly surreal experience playing these tables with the new graphics. It's also really very cool.

Also, maybe I'm the only one who feels it, but does it seem like the flippers are a bit slower to react than in the classic? Is it my imagination?
Old 07-08-2011, 01:34 PM

I don't know, the flippers seem the same to me. Hard to be sure though. I bought this when it appeared the last time and the update has definitely made it much smoother. And the AA on the iPad really helps.

I love it. It plays just like Pinball Dreams but now works with the big iPad screen.

My only criticism would be that it does feel something has been lost visually in the translation. Hard to be sure exactly without going back to compare but the tables feel darker, somewhat less colourful and, odd considering it's going HD, it feels like there is a layer of detail lost - like on the kicker/slingshot things, for example. In its flat pixel form, there were more details that added to the feel of each table.

But that doesn't affect how they play - which is always great. And good to futureproof the series. I hope this does well and we get a HD Fantasies.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeefJerky View Post
I don't know, the flippers seem the same to me. Hard to be sure though. I bought this when it appeared the last time and the update has definitely made it much smoother. And the AA on the iPad really helps.

I love it. It plays just like Pinball Dreams but now works with the big iPad screen.

My only criticism would be that it does feel something has been lost visually in the translation. Hard to be sure exactly without going back to compare but the tables feel darker, somewhat less colourful and, odd considering it's going HD, it feels like there is a layer of detail lost - like on the kicker/slingshot things, for example. In its flat pixel form, there were more details that added to the feel of each table.

But that doesn't affect how they play - which is always great. And good to futureproof the series. I hope this does well and we get a HD Fantasies.
It's strange...I think the flippers actually are the same speed, but look slower in landscape. I think it has to do with camera movement. It's sort of an optical illusion, perhaps.

I I know what you mean about the layer of detail that's seemingly absent, but it's hard to put your finger on it. I think it's just that the contrast in colors has been toned down a bit. I won't criticize that though; I think it very well may work better than the older (some might say more garish?) colors. To me, these tables look beautiful, although I do love the retrotastic style of the old tables as well. It's just to say that there is a good reason to keep both on your device, I suppose.

Another thing that sort of represents the visual weirdness to me of having a new and updated version is that, while the physics feel completely the same, the ball movement looks a lot more realistic in the HD version. The whole effect is just very strange, but in a good way.

I was most skeptical about the camera following the ball, but as it turns out, this is hardly an issue. In portrait it's more noticeable and not quite to my liking, but not nearly as obnoxious as the flying camera view in the Gameprom tables (which I'm not knocking because I still love their tables, by the way). In landscape, which is what I prefer anyway, it's not an issue at all and I really like the camera angle.

All in all, even though I was initially pretty hesitant about the new version, I'm loving it so far.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:06 PM

I'd say this HD version is a +1 on every level. The tables look HOT and play very well.

Big thanks to the devs for caring enough to update this game. I may be deleting my gameprom games soon as I dont get a real enough feel of pinbal from them...

With the new viewing angle of Pinball Dreams HD it really feels like the real deal.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:09 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

Send a message via Skype™ to your personal robot

Personally, it's the best Pinball game in the App Store. The tables were endlessly addicting and challenging before and now they look even better. Just love it!
Old 07-08-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by your personal robot View Post
Personally, it's the best Pinball game in the App Store. The tables were endlessly addicting and challenging before and now they look even better. Just love it!
Kudos on you Graveyard table score, by the way...
Old 07-08-2011, 02:36 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

Send a message via Skype™ to your personal robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDukester View Post
I'm a big pinball fan, but I've yet to find an iOS version that makes me happy. Either the layouts are uninspiring or else the gameplay/physics just don't seem pinball-esque. Or maybe it's just me being too picky; I really don't know.

Anyway, I like how this one looks and it seems to have a lot of enthusiastic fans here. So would y'all recommend this to the sort of picky person (me, in other words) I mentioned above? Does it have a "pinball vibe"? Do the physics seem reasonably close to real-world?
If you are searching for a real-world simulation, then I think Pinball Dreams won't be the best bet for you. It's definitely digital and also feels that way. But that being said, back in the days it was one of the best pinball games available, the table design is just REALLY well thought out. So, you really get a lot for your money. After years and years of playing this game, I'm still not getting tired. But again. Physics are nowhere near a simulation, I think. But they work perfectly within this game.

Best simulation table so far is Pinball Tristan... a quite simple yet extremely fun table with the best physics in the App Store.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medianotzu View Post
It's back!

I'll just say right off the bat that it is a fairly surreal experience playing these tables with the new graphics. It's also really very cool.

Also, maybe I'm the only one who feels it, but does it seem like the flippers are a bit slower to react than in the classic? Is it my imagination?
Thank you! About the flippers, it's an optical illusion, I was thinking of the same thinking when testing the game The physics engine under the hood is still 100% absolutely the same, not a single line of code has been changed.

,,juuso // rodeo
Old 07-08-2011, 04:44 PM

Plays beautifully on my 3rd gen Touch. Actually better than my iPad2 for whatever reason. That slightly slow flipper feeling? Totally not there on my Touch. Beautifully smooth and the loss of details is much less noticeable too. Works great on a screen of that size. Of course, the other version does too but it's nice to have options!