★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Mage Gauntlet - from Rocketcat Games

07-08-2011, 07:20 PM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Mage Gauntlet - from Rocketcat Games

TouchArcade Preview and Trailer

Mage Gauntlet is a game inspired by 90's action-RPGs. Mostly Square's huge line of games at that time, and Zelda: Link to the Past. It also has our usual design twists. Reactive controls and combat, agile movement, and the return of hunting for secrets. We've also made a spell system inspired by arcade game powerups and a loot system where each choice you make has both advantages and disadvantages.

RELEASE DATE: 10/20! Get it before Saturday and it's $1.99 as a one-time release sale, $2.99 from then on. Get it before Monday for the Rocketcat Fan Pack, containing an in-game pet and 8 hats from previous games! After Sunday the Fan Pack is a 2 dollar IAP.

RocketCat Games: Creators of Death Road to Canada, Wayward Souls, Punch Quest, Mage Gauntlet and Hook Champ
Check out our new game Death Road to Canada at http://www.deathroadtocanada.com
@rocketcatgames on Twitter

Last edited by Kepa; 10-15-2011 at 04:02 AM.
07-08-2011, 07:35 PM
Hi Kepa, i am once again fascinated of rocketcat games. can't wait!!

07-08-2011, 08:48 PM
Send a message via AIM to SkyMuffin Send a message via Yahoo to SkyMuffin
I am super excited for this game. Looks very very promising compared to so many grindy KRPGs on the appstore right now.

i'm a pretty kitty cat
07-08-2011, 09:43 PM
I hope the magical combat is awesome enough to justify the slow speed you swing your sword at... I suppose it is more realistic, though. =D

The art seems great, though! Reminds me of Monster RPG 2 and Chrono Trigger.
07-08-2011, 09:55 PM
I definitely cannot wait for this to hit the store. I just have to ask why you chose a sword as a weapon instead of a hook/whip ,
07-08-2011, 10:04 PM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyMuffin View Post
I am super excited for this game. Looks very very promising compared to so many grindy KRPGs on the appstore right now.
I'm not a huge KRPG fan, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikemike View Post
I hope the magical combat is awesome enough to justify the slow speed you swing your sword at... I suppose it is more realistic, though. =D

The art seems great, though! Reminds me of Monster RPG 2 and Chrono Trigger.
It's very briefly shown in the trailer, but you have the option of hitting the attack button rapidly to swing really quickly. Or you can take your time and do big, meaty swings for lots of damage. Both methods of attack "cleave", you'll slash everything the sword passes through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B34$T View Post
I definitely cannot wait for this to hit the store. I just have to ask why you chose a sword as a weapon instead of a hook/whip ,
We actually were going to have a whip/hook weapon in addition to the swords, but had to cut it for time D:

RocketCat Games: Creators of Death Road to Canada, Wayward Souls, Punch Quest, Mage Gauntlet and Hook Champ
Check out our new game Death Road to Canada at http://www.deathroadtocanada.com
@rocketcatgames on Twitter
07-08-2011, 10:11 PM
When it out tell me plz
07-08-2011, 10:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kepa View Post
It's very briefly shown in the trailer, but you have the option of hitting the attack button rapidly to swing really quickly. Or you can take your time and do big, meaty swings for lots of damage. Both methods of attack "cleave", you'll slash everything the sword passes through.
Oh wow. That sounds... awesome!!! I think you might want to give the player a little more feedback for those "big, meaty" swings than you're giving now— it didn't really leave a strong impression of power in the trailer, at least to me.

EDIT: After looking at the video again, I think maybe the stiffness of the swings is possibly stifling the sense of power they have. I don't know how retro you're going for, but if you're willing to "loosen" up the attacking sprites a little (if you know what I mean), that'd be nice. =)

Last edited by ikemike; 07-08-2011 at 10:50 PM.
07-08-2011, 11:02 PM
Will this be universal, or will there at least be an iPad version coming?

Beta Tester for: iBlastMoki 2, Deadlock, Aralon: Sword & Shadow HD
Gameloft: Pacificsun81
Gamecenter: Pacificsun81
07-09-2011, 04:29 AM
Stoked for this game, Rocketcat makes the best stuff.