★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPad: Emerald Mine for the iPad

07-09-2011, 06:40 PM
#1
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Sunrise Florida
Posts: 87
Emerald Mine for the iPad

Greetings,

I'm working on the final touches for one of my all-time favorite Amiga games from back in the day, Emerald Mine. It's a Boulder Dash-ish type game where you must collect a certain number of gems in order to open the exit portals and finish the levels.

You can see a video of my port on my website along with screenshots and a more detailed explanation of the game.

In general, it includes all the original artwork, sounds and gameplay of the classic Amiga game. There are 1,920 levels including the original set from Emerald Mine 1 through 3 plus many more from the Emerald Mine archive.

The controls were modified to fit well with the iPad touchscreen. Instead of using virtual buttons or a virtual d-pad, which I'm not a big fan of because you can't feel the buttons, you simply move your avatar around by sliding your finger in the direction you want to go. To grab objects from an adjacent square you just tap the square. To plant dynamite (which was not demonstrated in the video) you tap and hold anywhere on the screen.

Game Center is also integrated to track global high scores.

My plan is to release it for free with no ads and no in-app purchases.

Check out the details here: thegameprojects.com

Feedback is welcome.

- Les
07-09-2011, 09:09 PM
#2
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 3,319
I have very fond memories of that game. It will be interesting to see how it holds up this many years later.

Game Center: MarinasideSteve

07-10-2011, 12:27 PM
#3
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Czech Republic, Ostrava
Posts: 621
Send a message via ICQ to spajdr
I still would like to see virtual d-pad so i could use it with Fling Joystick
http://tenonedesign.com/fling.php
Especially since looking at your video it didnt look much comfortable to be played just by touching it.
Its up to you, maybe you could add it as paid service for 1 Dollar, i will gladly send it
07-10-2011, 12:48 PM
#4
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Sunrise Florida
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by spajdr View Post
I still would like to see virtual d-pad so i could use it with Fling Joystick
http://tenonedesign.com/fling.php
Especially since looking at your video it didnt look much comfortable to be played just by touching it.
Its up to you, maybe you could add it as paid service for 1 Dollar, i will gladly send it
Sure, I could add that. Seems like a good idea.

- Les
07-11-2011, 08:59 PM
#5
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Sunrise Florida
Posts: 87
Greetings,

I just thought I'd let everyone know that version 1 of my Emerald Mine port for the iPad has been submitted to the App Store. I'll let you know the results when I hear back.

Also, to spajdr, I did add dPad controls for use with the Fling Joystick. Let me know how it works.

- Les
07-12-2011, 12:36 PM
#6
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 5
Can't wait for this!

I wasted so many hours playing this game back in college. The idea of adding the D-pad is great as well as making it Fling-friendly. Another thing you might consider down the road would be support for the Joypad Elite app which would allow a player to control the game via an iphone. Might open up the possibility for multiplayer? Anyway, like I said, I can't wait to get this, free or not!!!
07-12-2011, 01:25 PM
#7
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Sunrise Florida
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljkiii View Post
I wasted so many hours playing this game back in college. The idea of adding the D-pad is great as well as making it Fling-friendly. Another thing you might consider down the road would be support for the Joypad Elite app which would allow a player to control the game via an iphone. Might open up the possibility for multiplayer? Anyway, like I said, I can't wait to get this, free or not!!!
Joypad Elite support is already in progress for the next release.

- Les
07-12-2011, 01:31 PM
#8
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Czech Republic, Ostrava
Posts: 621
Send a message via ICQ to spajdr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesbird View Post
Greetings,

I just thought I'd let everyone know that version 1 of my Emerald Mine port for the iPad has been submitted to the App Store. I'll let you know the results when I hear back.

Also, to spajdr, I did add dPad controls for use with the Fling Joystick. Let me know how it works.

- Les
I will let you know how it worked, thank you :-)
07-14-2011, 09:39 AM
#9
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 5
Who do I bribe at Apple.....

....to get this approved faster?!
07-14-2011, 10:05 AM
#10
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Sunrise Florida
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljkiii View Post
....to get this approved faster?!
It's pretty much a waiting game. My other apps have taken about 5 days from the time I submit until they're approved.

- Les