★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: The game follows the theme of the classic game marble madness, with a few twists.

The principle of MarBall Odyssey is simple: guide the ball to the
exit without falling out of bounds,
avoiding obstacles or by triggering various mechanisms.
Along the route, you can pick up various bonuses to improve your score.
The demo contains 3 level and you can download it for free right now!!

The smooth polished and detailed look of the graphics are amazing with full HD on the iPhone4

www.allaccessgames.com

Been seeing several amazing-looking 3D games on the iPhone this week, and Sunday Coders maiden game for the iPhone is no exception.

Nine Over Ten

guyshav's comments:
Hey everyone
A new great game was released this week. It's called MarBall Odyssey and it follows the theme of the classic marble madness game, with a few twists

The principle of MarBall Odyssey is simple: guide the ball to the exit without falling out of bounds, avoiding obstacles or by triggering various mechanisms.

A free demo is available NOW. It contains three levels. Full version contains 15 worlds.
Check out the video trailer:

07-11-2011, 06:27 AM
Ding!

I'll be trying that for SURE. Downloading the demo now...

07-11-2011, 07:54 AM
Game Impressions

I tried the 3 demo levels. I love the puzzle / exploration aspect with the switches, teleports, jumps and different balls (seen 2). Real promise here. The 3D terrain mixes things up nicely. The checkpoints are handy. I have real issues with the motion though. I could hardly get by with the tilt controls - not much between stuck on the spot and rocketing out of control - for me at least. The tilt calibration also seemed to change from time to time - does it reset when you touch the screen? The button controls were a bit better but ball motion still awkward. I would prefer a virtual joystick. I thought it looked quite good on an iTouch4 but (well like many) a bit daggy at 2* on an iPad2. The menus were okay but could be more immediate I think. The save message worried me a bit - does it only save when you quit?
07-11-2011, 08:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frennis View Post
I tried the 3 demo levels. I love the puzzle / exploration aspect with the switches, teleports, jumps and different balls (seen 2). Real promise here. The 3D terrain mixes things up nicely. The checkpoints are handy. I have real issues with the motion though. I could hardly get by with the tilt controls - not much between stuck on the spot and rocketing out of control - for me at least. The tilt calibration also seemed to change from time to time - does it reset when you touch the screen? The button controls were a bit better but ball motion still awkward. I would prefer a virtual joystick. I thought it looked quite good on an iTouch4 but (well like many) a bit daggy at 2* on an iPad2. The menus were okay but could be more immediate I think. The save message worried me a bit - does it only save when you quit?
I agree. There's a lot of potential here (the music is great), but the ball rolling physics feel off -- almost sticky, if that makes sense. As to alternative controls, I would much prefer a swipe mechanic like Gears than the current buttons or a joystick. Swiping really captures the feel of the trackball in the arcade Marble Madness and if well implemented it gives you a great feeling of control over ther ball.
07-11-2011, 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frennis View Post
Frennis you are correct. The calibration is reset every time you fall and get the "touch screen to start" message. Good observation
07-11-2011, 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
I agree. There's a lot of potential here (the music is great), but the ball rolling physics feel off -- almost sticky, if that makes sense. As to alternative controls, I would much prefer a swipe mechanic like Gears than the current buttons or a joystick. Swiping really captures the feel of the trackball in the arcade Marble Madness and if well implemented it gives you a great feeling of control over ther ball.
While I wouldn't mind an option to enable touch controls for those who prefer it, I think ball-rolling via tilt is still my preference -- if it's done right. Dark Nebula 1 and 2 got this right. What really is needed is the ability to tweak the sensitivity in the options.

I actually may be one of the few who disliked Gears' swiping mechanism (but also gave upon the game due to slowdown on my 2G). Again, it would be great to have the option to use either swipe or tilt controls. I just think it would be wrong to just take out the tilt option completely.
07-11-2011, 10:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by awp69 View Post
While I wouldn't mind an option to enable touch controls for those who prefer it, I think ball-rolling via tilt is still my preference -- if it's done right. Dark Nebula 1 and 2 got this right. What really is needed is the ability to tweak the sensitivity in the options.

I actually may be one of the few who disliked Gears' swiping mechanism (but also gave upon the game due to slowdown on my 2G). Again, it would be great to have the option to use either swipe or tilt controls. I just think it would be wrong to just take out the tilt option completely.
Certainly didn't mean "instead of tilt"; I meant "instead of buttons as a touch option.". I agree that a ball roller needs tilt controls.

BTW I can definitely see hating Gears swipe controls on a 2G, as that methods will work only with a solid framerate.
07-11-2011, 12:37 PM
Got a chance to check this out at lunch and definately see potential. The tilt controls actually felt pretty good to me -- maybe just a tad sluggish (it would be nice to have a sensitivity slider) -- which is still my preference for this type of game. Didn't have the issue I have with Gears, where I go flying off an edge even with a tiny swipe.

Only issue with me is that if there is no way to adjust, it seems pretty difficult to get all of the rings prior to getting to the checkpoint. Either the time needs to go up or the ball needs to roll a bit faster.

Anyway, I only had a few minutes. I'll play some more and maybe have more success.
07-11-2011, 12:37 PM
When using the accelerometer there is a learning curve and it takes a lot of practice before you can make whatever you want with the ball.
But I guess this is the difference between a "casual" game with a single touch interface and a more "hardcore" game which demands practice and better skills
07-11-2011, 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by awp69 View Post
Got a chance to check this out at lunch and definately see potential. The tilt controls actually felt pretty good to me -- maybe just a tad sluggish (it would be nice to have a sensitivity slider) -- which is still my preference for this type of game. Didn't have the issue I have with Gears, where I go flying off an edge even with a tiny swipe.

Only issue with me is that if there is no way to adjust, it seems pretty difficult to get all of the rings prior to getting to the checkpoint. Either the time needs to go up or the ball needs to roll a bit faster.

Anyway, I only had a few minutes. I'll play some more and maybe have more success.
awp69 I don't know if you noticed it, but during the game there are some flat colored buttons with different functions. Some save your current position in the game, others add extra time to your counter and so on.