★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Starbase Orion - Competitive 4X Turn-Based Space Strategy

07-11-2011, 01:29 PM
Starbase Orion - Competitive 4X Turn-Based Space Strategy

UPDATE: Stargate Orion has been released, so this "upcoming" thread is closed.

New thread: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=109751

----

Starbase Orion is a 4X TBS game inspired by the likes of Master of Orion II and Galactic Civilizations. While Starbase Orion provides a robust AI and a gratifying single-player sandbox experience, the game design is heavily focused on multiplayer play. I plan on updating this thread with new stuff as time to release draws closers (new images, gameplay videos, etc). Enjoy!

http://www.chimerasw.com/starbaseorion/

More on the vision behind the game
Descriptions of the races
Listen to the original music

Youtube link | Pop Up

Alpha Release Screenshots
content may change prior to final release

Click image for larger version

Name:	screen1.png
Views:	16
Size:	326.3 KB
ID:	35253Click image for larger version

Name:	screen2.png
Views:	12
Size:	273.6 KB
ID:	35254Click image for larger version

Name:	screen3.png
Views:	18
Size:	333.7 KB
ID:	35255Click image for larger version

Name:	screen4.png
Views:	7
Size:	186.7 KB
ID:	35256Click image for larger version

Name:	screen6.png
Views:	5
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	35257Click image for larger version

Name:	screen8.png
Size:	310.1 KB
ID:	35258Click image for larger version

Name:	screen9.png
Size:	226.7 KB
ID:	35259Click image for larger version

Name:	screen11.png
Views:	7
Size:	248.2 KB
ID:	35260

Designing The Fleet:

Quote:
Chimera Software Announces Starbase Orion
4X Turn-Based Space Strategy for iOS
Available Fall 2011

July 11, 2011 – Chimera Software is thrilled to announce Starbase Orion, a fresh way to experience the beloved 4X Turn-Based Strategy (TBS) genre on iPhone, iPod, and iPad. A sidequel to our popular strategy defense game Starbase Command, Starbase Orion will take the Starbase series into a new frontier by providing an engaging single player and multiplayer 4X TBS experience.

“Other space strategy games desire to become a worthy competitor to the genre-defining title, Master of Orion.” said Rocco Bowling, founder of Chimera Software. “Starbase Orion is no exception. It has been designed to provide a classic 4X TBS experience suitable for the modern day enthusiast; someone who desires a robust single player experience and rewarding player-vs-player (PvP) action.”
  • Built for iOS 5: Asynchronous Games with GameCenter, Universal Binary, Retina Display, Multitasking.
  • Glorious Space Battles: Watch your fleets duke it out each turn with a fully animated and controllable combat system.
  • Customizable Races: Choose from one of five existing races to play, or make you own by picking and choosing from a variety of race attributes.
  • Customizable Ships: Starbase Orion includes a complete ship designer which allows you to design your ship weapons and systems.
  • Premiere PvP Experience: Playing a competitive strategy game has never been this easy.
    • Balanced random galaxy generation
    • Hassle-free automated game matching
  • Battle-hardened AI: We battle tested the fleet management AI for Starbase Orion in the Google AI Challenge 2010. Our AI ranked 698 among thousands of competing bots; it has played hundreds of matches and is ready to give Starbase Orion players a challenge.

To learn more about Starbase Orion, please visit:

http://www.chimerasw.com/starbaseorion

Last edited by Red1; 10-11-2011 at 10:10 PM.
07-11-2011, 02:52 PM
Looks awesome. I'm eagerly awaiting this. So I take it this is universal?

07-11-2011, 03:08 PM
TEll us more!,

-----
On GC I am FPEX
07-11-2011, 06:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Looks awesome. I'm eagerly awaiting this. So I take it this is universal?
Yes, definitely.
07-11-2011, 07:55 PM
I'll buy the living daylight out of this as soon as it hits, and I'll be gifting the stuffing out of it to all those of my iOS-enabled friends who are to cheap to buy it themselves.

I'm struggling to recall: is this the multiplayer space strategy title that was featured on TA' front page quite a few months back (and that had me just as excited as this)? I seem to remember something along the lines of a monthly fee for that game, so perhaps I am mistaken.

Vocalist of Earthbridge and Neverlast
Game Center/OpenFeint/Plus+/[insert arbitrary game network, online character or multiplayer account here]: Ayjona

Last edited by Ayjona; 07-11-2011 at 08:16 PM.
07-11-2011, 08:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayjona View Post
I'm struggling to recall: is this the multiplayer space strategy title that was featured on TA' front page quite a few months back (and that had me just as excited as this)? I seem to remember something along the lines of a monthly fee for that game, so perhaps I am mistaken.
You are thinking of Empire of the Eclipse. Their developers can step in to correct me if I'm wrong, but it is a $2/mo subscription fee 4X RTS MMO (ie, you start a ship building and its some number of real hours later it gets built).

Starbase Orion is the polar opposite of that, featuring asynchronous turn-based matches of up to four players. It will also be a single fee application, with no IAP or subscription fees.

This fall is looking to be a great time for fans of 4X space games!
07-11-2011, 09:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyMac View Post
You are thinking of Empire of the Eclipse. Their developers can step in to correct me if I'm wrong, but it is a $2/mo subscription fee 4X RTS MMO (ie, you start a ship building and its some number of real hours later it gets built).

Starbase Orion is the polar opposite of that, featuring asynchronous turn-based matches of up to four players. It will also be a single fee application, with no IAP or subscription fees.

This fall is looking to be a great time for fans of 4X space games!
Ah, right! I've been waiting for Empire of the Eclipse like almost no iOS title before (a proclamation that might be slightly marred by the fact that I could not remember the name ), but Starbase Orion has got my attention in a way that rivals even Empire, if not more so.

It is my belief that asynchronous and constantly available gameplay is iOS' biggest gift to gaming, and possibly the beginning of a paradigm shift in interactive entertainment. Starbase Orion looks like an addition to that (still rather sparsely populated) genre that might be leading the charge before too long.

Vocalist of Earthbridge and Neverlast
Game Center/OpenFeint/Plus+/[insert arbitrary game network, online character or multiplayer account here]: Ayjona
07-11-2011, 10:31 PM
This dev knows how to announce an upcoming game. Screenshots, video, and a few links. I'll be watching this thread for more updates, and best of luck to you.
07-11-2011, 10:35 PM
Looks excellent; can't wait for release.
07-12-2011, 01:12 AM
The graphic looks great!

GameCenter: williamsyee Twitter: @willzhw
Beta Tester profile: willzhw
Hero Emblems Skill Location Prison Life RPG Guides