★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

More than 90% of iOS Games are Pirated

07-14-2011, 06:08 PM
More than 90% of iOS Games are Pirated

Just read the article: http://www.itproportal.com/2011/07/1...s-are-pirated/

This means that developers are only getting about 1/10 of the money because of pirated apps. The discussion is from Gameized, the devs of FingerKicks. Gameized has revealed that there are over 17,000 active players playing the game via Game Center. That should mean that Gameized should have 17,000 sales. But Gameized has only made around $800 in sales for FingerKicks.

Quote:
Software developer Gameized has attacked Apple for its inability to curb piracy on its iOS platform, calling the problem 'humiliating'.
"Unfortunately, the reality is that we've collected less than $800 in sales for FingerKicks, and Apple's policies (or lack thereof) are the primary reason for the huge losses," says Luis Fonseca (from Gameized) in a blog post.
What a sad, sad world. Very disappointed in people who have pirated apps on their iDevices.

List of Games I've Beta Tested
Follow me on Twitter: @Jdragoon19
07-14-2011, 06:20 PM
Just because someone pirated the game doesn't mean they will pay for it, so they are not getting 1/10 of the money they would have, but more like 1/2, because the majority of pirates are kids without credit cards.

07-14-2011, 06:27 PM
Lol, enough with the piracy statistics already. Pirates aren't going to stop, and there's really nothing any of us can do about it. Here at TA, I'm pretty sure most of us actually buy our games. I can't imagine what it's like to pirate a $0.99 game though.

Twitter: @back2this
07-14-2011, 06:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdragoon19 View Post
Just read the article: http://www.itproportal.com/2011/07/1...s-are-pirated/

This means that developers are only getting about 1/10 of the money because of pirated apps. The discussion is from Gameized, the devs of FingerKicks. Gameized has revealed that there are over 17,000 active players playing the game via Game Center. That should mean that Gameized should have 17,000 sales. But Gameized has only made around $800 in sales for FingerKicks.

What a sad, sad world. Very disappointed in people who have pirated apps on their iDevices.
Pirating does suck, but this stat is for one game. I'd say the top sellers are selling way more legit copies than pirated (I may be way off as this is uneducated opinion, but there can't be over a million people pirating games). Also, I must agree with the argument I have seen a ton of times, pirated copy does not equal lost sale most of the time. Only a small percentage. Besides, it seems like this will be an issue for the entirety of the digital age. People just have to look at it as not even a portion of the potential consumer base, and just say it is free marketing.

Currently Playing: Pocket RPG, Tentacle Wars, Oh My Heroes, Minigore 2, Mini Motor Racing, Eufloria, Swordigo
07-14-2011, 06:47 PM
I call BS, at most 1 in 10 iDevices are jailbroken and maybe 75 percent of those are used for piracy. If you've sold 160 copies you would have sold around 200 if the platform was pirate free and even that is an extremely high estimate. Also why is it always developers whose apps aren't selling complaining about this? Not every app is going to be Angry Birds, if it's not selling maybe it's because it's underexposed or people don't actually want it? Hmm?

Last edited by Spamcan; 07-14-2011 at 06:49 PM.
07-14-2011, 06:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamcan View Post
I call BS, at most 1 in 10 iDevices are jailbroken and maybe 75 percent of those are used for piracy. If you've sold 160 copies you would have sold around 200 if the platform was pirate free and even that is an extremely high estimate. Also why is it always developers whose apps aren't selling complaining about this? Not every app is going to be Angry Birds, if it's not selling maybe it's because it's underexposed or people don't actually want it? Hmm?
But people plays the multiplayer part. It means they like it.

Anyway, why is apple not doing anything? They know who pirates with game center - it's linked to 1 account, so they know if you bought it or not.
07-14-2011, 06:55 PM
The race to the 99 cent bottom in the Appstore is a much bigger threat to developers than piracy ever could be.

Currently learning iMaschine and Garage Band.
07-14-2011, 07:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xapped View Post
But people plays the multiplayer part. It means they like it.

Anyway, why is apple not doing anything? They know who pirates with game center - it's linked to 1 account, so they know if you bought it or not.
Usually it adds the game to your gamecenter profile immediately after loading, if they opened it once and then deleted it without removing it from their profile then it's still there. If I had to guess the extremely high piracy numbers come from kleptopirates that download everything.

Quote:
Unfortunately, the reality is that we’ve collected less than $800 in sales for FingerKicks
Ether they were charging more at some point of they've sold roughly 800 copies at 99 cents and not 160 like the article states.
07-14-2011, 07:06 PM
Send a message via AIM to SkyMuffin Send a message via Yahoo to SkyMuffin
Wait a minute, this is about Fingerkicks again? Really? The dev made a thread about this literally two days ago.

Quoting myself from the original thread, in which I detail how the dev basically breaks every basic rule of appstore advertising and promotion
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyMuffin View Post
3) What it all comes down to is whether or not the product is worth buying (if they have money), or whether the person has money that is disposable. Based on what i've seen on the appstore, Fingerkicks just doesn't really intrigue me. At all. The description claims that it is addictive at the top, but then the rest of it just seems pretty plain and ordinary. Both the icon and the screenshots do not give me any real information about why this app is more interesting, fun, or special than the 100,000s of other apps on the appstore.
4) You don't have a lite version. Combine this with 3, and you have a good reason for people to pirate-- at least to try before they buy.

I've seen many posts by devs about piracy on the appstore, and of course I sympathize with the hard work that goes into it. But sometimes there are issues on the marketing or game end that explain a lot of it.
The honest truth of the matter is that Fingerkicks is simply not well advertised, not that creative, innovative, or fun, and really not worthy of the praise the developer thinks it deserves. It's also lacking a lite version, so, as I mentioned in the post above, many people who want to try a game that looks mediocre in the screenshots and description before buying it would have to resort to piracy.

This is not a case of people being jerks and pirating something that deserves praise. This is a case of a developer with an overinflated sense of entitlement. The fact that they cried about it to news sites instead of asking their customers for feedback on how to make the game more interesting and appealing says quite a lot.

Edit: 284 google search results for this article, often reposted by the same few people. It's pretty clear that the dev is just trying to generate some RAH RAH RAH PIRACY IS BAD JAILBREAKING IS BAD hype-- probably to drive sales to their mediocre game.

i'm a pretty kitty cat

Last edited by SkyMuffin; 07-14-2011 at 07:15 PM.
07-14-2011, 07:27 PM
There's been a couple threads about piracy in the dev forum about similar bouts of piracy. One thing they all have in common is that the piracy seems to mostly happen in the first few days of an App being released. This indicates to me that it's probably just reflective of a group of people that will probably pirate as many apps as they can, and not people who are necessarily interested in the app.

If piracy was a huge problem and the app was a ton of fun, it certainly would not have stopped at 17,000 players. I sincerely hope that piracy isn't a big issue, but I feel like if it was we'd be hearing more noise from larger developers and then I have no doubt Apple would do something about it. Hopefully when my game comes out those 17k will represent less than 1% of the player base rather than 90% of it .

Developer: The Epic of Roderick by InstantLazer Studio
TEoR blog Now including the Economics of the App Store series.
facebook
Twitter: twitter.com/instantlazer