★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: VisionBall: Kinect style control using hand tracking

07-15-2011, 04:12 AM
VisionBall: Kinect style control using hand tracking

I thought I would introduce the first camera based hand tracking based game using the iPhone and iPad2's camera. The game is very simple, it is an arcade pop a shot basketball game and you make a shooting motion towards the screen to take shots without touching the screen. The game uses computer vision based technology to track the position of the hand at a fairly fast speed and many different algorithms to get physical information about your hand in 3D. It then plans a trajectory and takes a shot. The iPhone version isn't as sensitive as the iPad2 but is working in the same number of lighting conditions.

Link to VisionBall in iTunes

It's a demonstration of our technology that we'll be refining before bringing to more games and allowing for other developers to take advantage of.

Let me know what you think!

Last edited by ImNoSuperMan; 07-15-2011 at 07:27 AM. Reason: appinfo
07-15-2011, 04:39 AM
Just picked this up and it works really well pretty impressed I can see this being used to good effect in more games

Gamecentre- howlingwolf70, Open Feint -howlingwolfuk
Plus+ - howlingwolf. Crystal - syclone

Currently playing - Bumpy Road,Dofus Battles,Zenonia 3,Paladog,Nuts!

07-15-2011, 05:11 AM
do you need to stand the ipad on a desk or is it more played in the palm of your hand?
Looks like very exciting interesting technology, will download and give it a whirl!

Game Centre I.D - Scarypharaoh
07-15-2011, 05:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarypharaoh View Post
do you need to stand the ipad on a desk or is it more played in the palm of your hand?
Looks like very exciting interesting technology, will download and give it a whirl!
Currently it's best just flat on the table facing the ceiling but a lot of my work will be in making it better at any angle and in more lighting conditions. The key is that it is on a stable surface but it can have trouble particularly differentiating your hand in front of your face, although that has improved dramatically recently due to some code enhancements.

We'll be making this tech either completely free or really cheap once it is good enough to hit the market, which with everyone's feedback should be rather quickly. I'm so glad for any support and I have to also support the very few apps using computer vision, particularly Alien20, whose developers obviously see the same potential. This is the future.

It uses several custom algorithms that improve on what was already offered by OpenCV and Apple's sdks, hopefully making this far more intuitive.

For more info go to the website page I wrote about it here which talks a bit about how it works:
http://digitalrising.net/visionball/

Hopefully with everyone's support, feedback, and my own modification to the algorithm's variables (which I can adjust immediately) we'll get an article on this site. In my opinion a webcam should be able to do everything the Xbox kinect can with its hardware based solution (lasers etc), if the software is good enough (It's not like we have lasers in our heads, 'cept maybe the Borg). Hardest problem I have ever worked on I must say, wow.
07-15-2011, 07:40 AM
Tested on iPad 2. Works pretty well after I got used to it. I make easily 10-15 goals (high score 1,250) in those 60 seconds. Maybe it's better to switch off music and sounds in the game options to have more CPU power for the hand tracking.

Very interesting software. Featured in my blog. Thank you, dev!

Hurry up! Handpicked & Time-Limited App Store FREEbies & Sales
(Blog German-language; but you'll find all links, pics, and videos.)
07-15-2011, 09:03 AM
Well thank you!

I need all the exposure I can get.
07-15-2011, 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habakuk View Post
Tested on iPad 2. Works pretty well after I got used to it. I make easily 10-15 goals (high score 1,250) in those 60 seconds. Maybe it's better to switch off music and sounds in the game options to have more CPU power for the hand tracking.

Very interesting software. Featured in my blog. Thank you, dev!
@Habakuk thanks! Above 50 in Germany for two categories. I'll have to see where it is in Austria. It's amazing how much your blog was able to affect things, and so quickly.