★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: iBASEjump, Any good?

04-21-2009, 05:35 PM
iBASEjump, Any good?

Being a real fan of skydiving/parachuting, I take interest in any app of this sort that falls into the AppStore.(Falls, get it?)

Anyway, I had a look at it on Appshopper, but was wondering, has anyone taken the plunge(There I go again) and bought it? And if so, would it be something you'd recommend?

http://appshopper.com/games/ibasejump
04-21-2009, 05:46 PM
I'd love to see a parkour game on the iphone

back

04-21-2009, 05:51 PM
I tried this the other day, and I would say not really. The game offers 14 locales where you can make your jump. The graphics are ok, but I think they missed an opportunity by not including sound.

When you start the game, it offers a scrolling menu of locations of which only the first two are unlocked. In order to proceed on to other locations, you need to score jump and landing points. In terms of gameplay, you have two set of d-pad controls on either side of the screen. On set is for moving forwards and backwards while the other is for turning up/down/left/right. There is also a little figure of a skydiver in the corner which you tap to shif the position of your BASE jumper. An altimeter is included which shows how many feet before reaching ground as well as a parachute deployment button in the upper left hand corner.

As you jump, you have full motion to look around but honestly, everything is moving so fast to give you the feel for descent that you really don't have a clear picture of what you're seeing. There is a nice feeling of speed and descent, but inherently, the graphics don't really come through. Also, you have to watch how you turn otherwise you run into the building or mountain, and you don't want that. The altimeter turns red as you near the ground and that's usually a good time to deploy the chute.

Overall, it's just very repetitious in what you're doing...jumping and landing. As I mentioned, the game lacks sound, and it needs some other objectives other than surviving the process. You'd be better off getting one of the skydiving games like Freeball'n or SkyDive.
04-21-2009, 05:53 PM
downloaded it before, have to say, crappiest game ive ever seen.

the textures are poor patched together google earth pictures. It is not creating a bit of a sense of falling, and the only goal is to open your parachute as close to the ground as possible, in order to score, and to unlock new jump spots.
Once i jumped a cliff and the texture patches were all stretched and didnt match like at all.

Unlocked all spots in 10 minutes, then deleted and went to bed. destroyed my day

Seriously, dont buy, its not even worth downloading for free.

better try the game "Vir2L Base Jumper".
Havent tried it yet, but it seems to offer Wingsuits and better graphics

Last edited by Absolut; 04-21-2009 at 05:57 PM.
04-21-2009, 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolut View Post
downloaded it before, have to say, crappiest game ive ever seen.

the textures are poor patched together google earth pictures. It is not creating a bit of a sense of falling, and the only goal is to open your parachute as close to the ground as possible, in order to score, and to unlock new jump spots.
Once i jumped a cliff and the texture patches were all stretched and didnt match like at all.

Unlocked all spots in 10 minutes, then deleted and went to bed. destroyed my day

Seriously, dont buy, its not even worth downloading for free.

better try the game "Vir2L Base Jumper".
Havent tried it yet, but it seems to offer Wingsuits and better graphics
Yeah, I gave Vir2L Base Jumper a try, and the problem there is that it's too short...only 3 maps (nothing unlockable). Using accelerometer/tilt controls, you guide your little Evil Kneivel (that's who he reminded me in his outfit) through a series of rings collecting items for bonus points, and then the screen will start blinking red when it's time to deploy your parachute at which time you land in on a bullseye. The game also offers some customization so you pick the outfit your jumper wears and the graphics aren't too bad. It's a little nerveracking when your jumper skids off the sides of buildings and mountains, but oh well. It's seriously too short for me to recommend it.
04-21-2009, 06:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolut View Post
poor patched together google earth pictures.
Are you serious? Oh jeez, I sense a legal issue here. Legally you can't use Google Earth images, or derivatives of Google Earth, for any purposes unless you clear it with Google.

Quote:
We're flattered to hear that you're further incorporating Google Earth into your online world. You can personally use an image from the application (for example on your website, on a blog or in a word document) as long as you preserve the copyrights and attributions including the Google logo attribution. However, you cannot sell these to others, provide them as part of a service, or use them in a commercial product such as a book or TV show without first getting a rights clearance from Google.
Now it seems that if the dev didn't put it together too well, he's not likely to contact Google and ask for permission, but it could just be my feeling.
04-23-2009, 03:36 PM
I bought iBASEjump today and I like it for the most part. Watching Nitro Circus on mtv really interested me in base jumping and that's why I got it. iBASEjump is pretty easy and it's more of a simulation program than a game I would say.

To me it's just fun jumping off stuff haha. The feeling of free falling is really accurate. There are a lot of levels too, even if they can be beaten pretty easily. Hopefully an update will fix some of the textures and add more levels. It is the best base jumping game for iphones.

Btw, it does have sound, it just needs to be turned on in the options page.
04-23-2009, 03:59 PM
I wouldn't pay for the app, personally. I tried it out for a few minutes, then deleted it.

HTML Code:
<name> Noah <!-- hello.wordpress.com -->
<member since> Sept. 2008 <!-- that's 8+ years -->
<title> Senior Applications Developer <!-- CricketWireless.com -->
04-23-2009, 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorero View Post
Being a real fan of skydiving/parachuting, I take interest in any app of this sort that falls into the AppStore.(Falls, get it?)

Anyway, I had a look at it on Appshopper, but was wondering, has anyone taken the plunge(There I go again) and bought it? And if so, would it be something you'd recommend?

http://appshopper.com/games/ibasejump
You base jump in Clontarf?!

Life Is Too Short To Be Wordy
04-23-2009, 06:37 PM
Quote:
You base jump in Clontarf?!
Now tell me this, where in Clontarf would I find a place high enough?

No, I did some Skydiving in the US, and did a bit of it in the UK, but not much. I still haven't done BASE jumping, but hope to soon.