★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Darts on sale ($1.99)

11-07-2008, 08:49 AM
Darts on sale ($1.99)

This is the only working link I could find:
http://appshopper.com/link/darts
On sale due to new control scheme in the newest version.

Seems like a pretty fun game so far, and my more in depth review is coming soon - I need to play it a bit more then 5 minutess in my car to make a decision. If you like darts, this seems to be the best version available.
11-07-2008, 09:20 AM
New control scheme is terrible

This is a plea to the developer of Darts: In future releases, please retain the option to use your original control scheme. The new scheme turns your 5-star game into a 1-star.

11-07-2008, 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grist View Post
This is a plea to the developer of Darts: In future releases, please retain the option to use your original control scheme. The new scheme turns your 5-star game into a 1-star.
I haven't got this game. Please elaborate- what was the old scheme, and how have they made it worse?
11-07-2008, 09:41 AM
Control schemes

The latest release now provides two control schemes (original and new), accessible by going into "Settings" and selecting your preferred scheme. I am asking the developer to continue to offer users a choice which will include the original scheme.
11-07-2008, 09:51 AM
As stated, the old method is still available. I only played with the new method and thought it was way too easy. I switched to the old method and it got 1000x harder. I have no idea how to aim using the original throwing technique. I'm sure it takes a ton of practice, but it seems much harder and more fun the original way.
11-07-2008, 10:21 AM
I've had this game since it came out. Before the first update, it was next to impossible to try and hit the 1 or 18. The first update improved it somewhat, but it is still very difficult. I am not a big fan of the new method and think that it should default to the original method. Part of the fun of darts is the frustration factor.

This is a very well done app though. A couple more dart variation games would make it even better.
11-07-2008, 10:53 AM
I think the price drop is also due to the release of iDarts yesterday:

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=295411852&mt=8

Old (slightly harder technique): swipe up from the center and towards the right/left/center with variable velocity to throw dart. If you try starting your swipe from the bottom left or bottom right and swipe straight up, the dart still goes to the central part of the board.

New (easier technique): If you try starting your swipe from the bottom left or bottom right and swipe straight up, the dart now goes to the left/ right part of the board, respectively.

I believe one has the option now of which technique to choose.

Per developer website he will be implementing the following in future releases:

• Multiplayer over wifi (play against friends on same wireless network)
• Pass-and-play multiplayer (pass the device around; play against friends)
• An implementation of Baseball
• An implementation of Killers

Of note, the above features are already in the new $0.99 iDarts, but Darts still looks more polished

Last edited by salsamd; 11-07-2008 at 11:28 AM.
11-15-2008, 12:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grist View Post
Hi! The original throwing method is still available in the Settings app. The new throwing scheme was added because I received many complaints that the original scheme was way too hard, especially on hitting doubles and triples reliably.

I can't please everyone of course and since I only heard "this is way too hard" I made it quite a bit easier. This new control scheme is also similar to other darts games for other platforms.
11-15-2008, 12:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iago View Post
I've had this game since it came out. Before the first update, it was next to impossible to try and hit the 1 or 18. The first update improved it somewhat, but it is still very difficult. I am not a big fan of the new method and think that it should default to the original method. Part of the fun of darts is the frustration factor.

This is a very well done app though. A couple more dart variation games would make it even better.
Hey thanks for the mini review. Yes, the original scheme requires practice just like real darts. The trick is that a straight up the screen flick gesture throws the dart right along the line of the 20-bull-3 slots. To get all the way on the sides you can start the gesture on the bottom left of the screen and move to the top right (or opposite).

It does take a lot of practice, perhaps too much. Perhaps I got used to it during endless hours of testing!
11-15-2008, 12:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by salsamd View Post
I think the price drop is also due to the release of iDarts yesterday:
Indeed true. Swamiware and I seem to be in lockstep price drops. A little friendly competition is great.

Quote:
Old (slightly harder technique): swipe up from the center and towards the right/left/center with variable velocity to throw dart. If you try starting your swipe from the bottom left or bottom right and swipe straight up, the dart still goes to the central part of the board.
Yeah, that is correct.

Quote:
New (easier technique): If you try starting your swipe from the bottom left or bottom right and swipe straight up, the dart now goes to the left/ right part of the board, respectively.
The idea of the new technique is to shrink the radius of the target point from the entire board to the rotating circle + some percentage beyond it. The board essentially shrinks thus making this technique easier than the original technique in which any point on the board is possible from any throw.

It seems that this is what many people wanted as in darts games for other platforms, and even in iDarts, one first aims to a point on the board, and depending on the skill of the throw gesture, you land the dart on the targeted point.

I personally much prefer the original technique but I fear that most people want the simpler, easier gameplay mechanics instead of diving into a skills-based game while standing in line at the bank...

Quote:
I believe one has the option now of which technique to choose.
Yes, in the Settings app.

Quote:
Per developer website he will be implementing the following in future releases:

• Multiplayer over wifi (play against friends on same wireless network)
• Pass-and-play multiplayer (pass the device around; play against friends)
• An implementation of Baseball
• An implementation of Killers

Of note, the above features are already in the new $0.99 iDarts, but Darts still looks more polished
iDarts does not have multiplayer over wifi. Thanks re: more polished!

FWIW I just made Darts FREE until I release the multiplayer over wifi feature.

Thanks guys!
Brian Hammond

Last edited by brianhammond; 11-15-2008 at 01:25 AM.