★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: This new version has all levels unlocked and no Ads.

Racing Penguin (or Flying Penguin) is a physics based slide and fly game!

Slide down the mountains of Antarctica and flap your wings to fly.

Go as fast as you can to escape from the polar bear.

5 addicting worlds, 40 racing levels.

arta's comments:
Paid version: http://itunes.apple.com/app/racing-penguin-flying-by-top/id443395370?mt=8
Ad supported free version: http://itunes.apple.com/app/racing-penguin-flying-by-top/id443395370?mt=8

So here's the lowdown: it's a cheapass Tiny Wings knockoff. The resolution is quite crisp due to a recent retina update, but with the bare minimum put into the music, sound, graphics and animation, the presentation is utterly laughable compared to Tiny Wings or any casual game to have come out in the last couple years.

So why post about this? What I do like about this (from the 1st few levels of the free version) is the gameplay; the sliding physics are extremely smooth and your penguin soars quickly vertically and horizontally, resulting in a exhilarating playthrough. It's easily the fastest TW style game out now. Only thing is, missing a perfect slide on a slope results in your penguin awkwardly hopping forward at a snail's pace or even sliding in the reverse direction.

Another thing I like about this is that it's also level based rather than endless, with wildly varied slopes within each level.

This was obviously made by someone who's intention was to mix up the Tiny Wings formula not with gimmicks but with varying the gameplay space so as to make each playthrough a challenge, almost like playing a platformer. The challenge isn't making perfect slides, it's about picking the right slopes to make the fastest time.

Sadly, there's another downside that's hard to ignore; it's all way too short and easy. There's only three worlds right now with 8 levels apiece, with each level taking about 20-30 seconds apiece. Getting 3 stars in all levels is the intended replay value but I expect most to breeze through it.

Download the Lite version and bite your teeth through the ads. Blow through it in 5 minutes. I recommend it not for the value of the game as a whole but simply the gameplay potential. This feels like it was made by someone who has the knowhow to make the next true evolution of the TW formula more fun as opposed to merely more charming, but chose to do a quick rushjob to get something to eat. If only this guy had a bigger team with more resources. It's also something to give to your kids as a alternative.
07-19-2011, 01:55 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓 [Original Poster]
#69 in Paid Games, 120 in Paid Apps.

Currently learning iMaschine and Garage Band.

08-15-2011, 04:27 PM
I think its interesting that this is higher in the charts than Tiny Wings.
08-15-2011, 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyeye View Post
what charts?
08-15-2011, 04:42 PM
Quote:
What charts are you looking at? Tiny Wings is still #6 on the top paid apps, WAY above this crappy looking clone.

Playing:|Roboto|Cordy|QuBit|Amazing Breaker|Awesome Saucer|Groove Coaster|Gesundheit!|
Favorites:|PoP:WW|Infinity Blade|World of Goo|Phoenix|Danmaku|PewPew2|Alien Space Retro|Battleheart|Gears| LGR2|iDaTank|PvZ|ME|To-Fu|Anodia|Lego HP|Fruit Ninja|I Dig It 2|Soosiz|
08-18-2011, 07:42 AM
Quote:
No it isn't and never will be.

It's a cheap clone, but it has some variety to go for it. Some.
08-18-2011, 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartel View Post
No it isn't and never will be.

It's a cheap clone, but it has some variety to go for it. Some.
I actually think even tho it's a clone, it's got harder levels than Tiny Wings!

Gameloft Live: IDontKiIIPpl (idontkiippl without capital letters)

I make EDM music No I'm not some pro who's signed to some major lable.http://YouTube.com/okayyymc3
08-18-2011, 10:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLavi View Post
I actually think even tho it's a clone, it's got harder levels than Tiny Wings!
Tiny wings has no levels?
08-18-2011, 10:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flameon View Post
Tiny wings has no levels?
The game itself is levels....

Dropped iPhone 6 on live tv. Became a viral sensation.
App Reviewer and Writer for Pocketfullofapps.com. Got a new game? Want a review? Contact me!
Follow Me On Twitter @Triggywiggy BETA Tested: View Here I can test yours too!
08-18-2011, 10:40 AM