★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Former employee accuses Gameloft of dangerously overworking employees

07-18-2011, 11:09 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓 [Original Poster]
Former employee accuses Gameloft of dangerously overworking employees

http://games.on.net/article/13193/Tr...ous_Conditions

Quote:
“Some weeks I was working 100 to 120 hours a week”, says Glenn Watson, former Head Studio Programmer at Gameloft’s New Zealand arm. “Starting at 9:30 AM, going home at 2:30 AM, and then coming back into the office at 8:30 AM to start work again was not unusual”. Glenn, who began his long career in Australia’s game development industry with Ratbag Games in Adelaide, spoke to games.on.net about what he describes as “dangerous working conditions” at a company that, it seems, has no qualms about breaking New Zealand’s health and safety laws. “There were other times when I would be called back into the office at 11:30 PM by the studio producer, only to head home again at 2:30 AM,” he explained. “It was after I worked four consecutive weeks of fourteen-hour days - including weekends - that I realised I needed to resign”.
More at the link.

Currently learning iMaschine and Garage Band.
07-18-2011, 11:38 AM
Over working shows in their work... jumpy animations!

If something online is free, you are not the customer - you are the product.

07-18-2011, 06:02 PM
It sounds pretty bad indeed- i guess that's just the way some 'managers' work- these psychopaths actually believe that they can treat those under them however they please, as long as it makes themselves look good. Hopefully they get their comeuppance, but the world's not really fair like that, sadly.
07-18-2011, 06:05 PM
I emailed Gameloft about these allegations, let's not go overboard here with speculation until we hear back from them. Right now this is 100% based on rumor. Not that I particularly support Gameloft in any way in this, but there are two sides to every story.
07-18-2011, 06:31 PM
Work them harder games need patches.

Seriously though isn't every firm like this these days. I'm serious about patches though Gameloft need to address the games they already made before releasing new ones.

I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out
07-18-2011, 07:17 PM
This might just be someone trying to expand on the whole Team Bondi thing. Not all companies do this, and gameloft may or may not have done this, but don't write off Gameloft because of a one sided allegation. Just sayin'
07-18-2011, 08:11 PM
Doctor of Game of the Week-ology
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodapp View Post
I emailed Gameloft about these allegations, let's not go overboard here with speculation until we hear back from them. Right now this is 100% based on rumor. Not that I particularly support Gameloft in any way in this, but there are two sides to every story.
5 bucks says that they don't respond...
07-18-2011, 08:52 PM
Game firms are always crazy at their work, like working from 9:00 am till 1:00 am is quite normal in my company. But I never do extra work for I've got a part time job to do.

Who can tell me what to write here

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge3112 View Post
Couldn't agree more. I saw a review of it on StuffTV. I think you owe them one!!! Would love to get an interview with you, for my folio (:
07-18-2011, 11:12 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓 [Original Poster]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodapp View Post
Are you emailing the other side?

Currently learning iMaschine and Garage Band.
07-19-2011, 12:01 AM
This is basically par for the course for the gaming industry. We've been hearing the same story about game developer working conditions for years.

This is one of many reasons why I made a decision before I went to college that I refuse to go into the gaming industry and will keep gaming as just a hobby.