★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Fractal Combat -- by oyatsukai

07-20-2011, 02:05 AM
Fractal Combat -- by oyatsukai

Hi everyone!

Time has come to show our next upcoming title..

Official site: http://oyatsukai.com/fractal-combat

It's an arcade flight combat game.
It requires at least an iPhone 3GS and it's an universal app. So, it supports Retina as well as iPad/iPad 2 screen resolutions.

The game features 7 worlds, 6 ships as well different types of missiles, generators and radars, which are more like upgrades.
Ships and items are progressively unlocked and can be bought with the credits earned in the missions.

Here is a preliminary list of features:
  • Fast-paced futuristic arcade flight combat
  • 6 different vehicles
  • 2 flight models: partial vector thrusters or magnetic rotors
  • 7 unique and stunning fractal worlds
  • 70 missions to complete
  • A varying range of weapons, radars and generators
  • Game Centerís Leaderboards and Achievements
  • Intuitive touch and accelerometer controls

Aside from the market/garage portion, the game is very much arcade and it aims to be a mindless missile shooter with high-endish 3D mobile graphics.

Have fun !
Davide

07-20-2011, 02:15 AM
Ok, I'm just going to ignore the obvious Ace Combat influences and HUD and say: INSTA BUY!!! Looks like this is much more fast paced than Ace Combat!!!

A few questions: are the missiles limited in numbers? I can't see a missile counter anywhere... Any non-missile weapons? Price? IAP? ETA on release???????
CAN'T WAIT TO BUY THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*Calms down...

07-20-2011, 02:55 AM
Great ! ..we already have a customer j/k 8)

I should have said a little more:

- There are only missiles. They are fire-and forget, but timing of launch makes a difference.

- Missiles are unlimited. Also because one has to use a lot of them!

- There is a shield that one should replenish (see the "Energy" augmentation on the HUD).

Given the amount of missiles flying around, I guess that the game play is somewhat closer to After Burner II than Ace Combat.

First missions aren't as busy, but they get progressively more intense and fast-paced.

Quite a bit of effort went into the HUD... we tried to make it as believable as possible by looking at real jet fighter's HUDs.
There is some custom vector font rendering that hopefully makes it all look more realistic.

We plan to release this at the beginning of August and for $1.99.

Thanks for the feedback !
Davide
07-20-2011, 02:56 AM
Like gunxsword already said: INSTABUY!!!! Looks better than MetalStorm!

Gameloft Live: IDontKiIIPpl (idontkiippl without capital letters)

I make EDM music No I'm not some pro who's signed to some major lable.http://YouTube.com/okayyymc3
07-20-2011, 03:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrib View Post
- There are only missiles. They are fire-and forget, but timing of launch makes a difference.
- Missiles are unlimited. Also because one has to use a lot of them!
WHOOHOO!!!!!! Em one question though... back when I was playing AC on PSP I put up unlimited missile + no/instant missile reload time (DON'T JUDGE ME! I finished the whole game without hacks on ace beforehand...) and encountered some crashes because there was just too damn many missiles on the screen... Will there be a missile limit? I'm guessing there's slight missile reload times in this game right?

Quote:
Given the amount of missiles flying around, I guess that the game play is somewhat closer to After Burner II than Ace Combat.
Yup, I played that on PSP as well... And yeah that comparison would be better

Quote:
Quite a bit of effort went into the HUD... we tried to make it as believable as possible by looking at real jet fighter's HUDs.
There is some custom vector font rendering that hopefully makes it all look more realistic.
You should check out screenshots of Ace Combat PSP/app store's HUD... seriously... they look EXACTLY the same as this game's... Coincidence?

Quote:
We plan to release this at the beginning of August and for $1.99.
TIME TRAVELLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great price too! (not dirt cheap or expensive!)

Oh and you don't usually see me using this many caps... I'm a bit euphoric that's all...
07-20-2011, 04:18 AM
maybe beacause both games using the real F16 interface

Last edited by MmAaXx; 07-20-2011 at 04:25 AM.
07-20-2011, 04:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunxsword View Post
WHOOHOO!!!!!! Em one question though... back when I was playing AC on PSP I put up unlimited missile + no/instant missile reload time (DON'T JUDGE ME! I finished the whole game without hacks on ace beforehand...) and encountered some crashes because there was just too damn many missiles on the screen... Will there be a missile limit? I'm guessing there's slight missile reload times in this game right?
ehehe.. well.. one has to wait for the missile to lock. But multiple targets can be locked and shoot at the same time.

When a missile is travelling towards a target, that target can't be shot again.
So, it's better to launch a missile when a target is more likely to be hit.

Quote:
You should check out screenshots of Ace Combat PSP/app store's HUD... seriously... they look EXACTLY the same as this game's... Coincidence?
I think that we simply took from the same source.
Here are a couple of videos about the HUD found in an F-16's cockpit.

- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCBfAPO52t0
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHx-OWdHqf8

HUDs for other airplanes are quite similar too.

Quote:
Oh and you don't usually see me using this many caps... I'm a bit euphoric that's all...
Thanks ! I really hope you'll like it.. it's definitely not as complex as Ace Combat, but we tried to make it as fun and as good looking as possible given our limited resources 8)
07-20-2011, 04:41 AM
This HUD, that HUD, it's a good HUD and it's proven to work

Oh and now for some more serious questions:
1. Methods of controls? What options will we have? (accelero/tilt, touch? Virtual joystick?)
2. Type of controls? Eg. sim orientated - roll and rudder. Arcade - no roll.
3. I see there are some customization options... are they unlocked by progress or in-game currency? If in-game currency, can missions be repeated for more of what ever currency that is used? (I don't like it when games only give out a set amount of currency/points for missions and more have to be obtained by performing better).
4. What does the 'eject' button do? (other than ejecting the player...)

Last words (for this post): I will be lying if I didn't like the title screen and missile launch sound effects... It just doesn't sound like launching missiles at all...
07-20-2011, 04:51 AM
Icade could use a good arcade shooter. Any chance you can add icade support.
07-20-2011, 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLavi View Post
Like gunxsword already said: INSTABUY!!!! Looks better than MetalStorm!
ahah.. right on !! d(^o^)b