★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Bonkheads is a family friendly fast action platformer for one or two players. Help the two trolls, Grag and Thog, stop the hordes of invading pests from reaching their beloved Trollsville. 144 levels in twelve unique environments provides plenty of long lasting entertainment.

Highlights
144 unique levels
12 different Underworlds with varying friction and gravity
3 nefarious bosses
8 special blocks to help and hinder
6 types of power up gems
33 achievements to earn
Co-op play for two
Controls designed specifically for touch
07-24-2011, 11:18 AM
Hmm theres something familiar about this.....

()() Favorites: Sword of Fargoal, Rogue Touch
( '.') Slay, Titan VG Edition, Hero Academy [ID:Rixx]
(('')('') GameCenter: TK656

07-24-2011, 11:34 AM
Don't mind if it's a clone. Would like to know what the controls are like though
07-24-2011, 11:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
Don't mind if it's a clone. Would like to know what the controls are like though
I'm not mad that its a clone, quite the contrary.....as you said, assuming the controls are good.

Rixx

()() Favorites: Sword of Fargoal, Rogue Touch
( '.') Slay, Titan VG Edition, Hero Academy [ID:Rixx]
(('')('') GameCenter: TK656
07-24-2011, 12:00 PM
Controls

The controls were a huge focus for us when making this title.

We actually spent a great deal of time iterating on the controls and worked very hard with a group of beta testers to try and find the ideal solution.

In the end we decided to offer two modes of controls but passionately believe that one is much better than the other.

First, because this was originally a Mac/PC title that a lot of users played with their keyboards, we included the option to have virtual buttons. (Left, Right & Jump) This is obvious and works for those who would like to treat the device like a keyboard.

Second, and the one that we really prefer but realize it takes a little getting used to, are the virtual sticks. While virtual sticks are not uncommon to existing touch games, ours are subtly different in their implementation. Our hope is that this allows the player to NOT think about the controls after a few moments of settling in.

If you are curious to see the virtual stick method in action, you can view this video which was taken early on in development: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe_ZMHoP_2I

We are very excited about receiving feedback from players and anticipate making changes to the control scheme as needed. We understand that nailing the controls for this style of game is critical.

- Grag
07-24-2011, 12:13 PM
Always great to see devs active on TouchArcade.

I hate to be the person always asking this, but does this have retina graphics?

"I am virgin, I'm a whore! Giving nothing; the taker, the maker of war!" - Black Sabbath, "I"
07-24-2011, 12:42 PM
Virtual buttons? Sold! Downloading now

Love 'takes' or 'similar' versions of classic games which aren't available on iOS
07-24-2011, 12:53 PM
Retina+

Bonkheads HD contains custom resolutions for ALL current iOS devices.

We wanted to make sure that each device had an image in its own native format so that we could completely control the quality. This means there are 480x320, 960x640 and 1024x768 versions which are selected based on the device you are using.

A large part of the reason it took so long to get Bonkheads onto iOS was that we decided to recreate all of the graphics from the original game. Back in the day, when Bonkheads was first created for MacOS, a 640x480 screen was the maximum resolution supported. Even our source images were created with this in mind. We didn't feel good about just up-scaling so we decided to master all new art.

We did everything we could though to preserve the same look as the original release as we quickly received feedback about this from fans. http://www.facebook.com/BonkheadsGame

Interesting side note: Play two player co-op on an iPhone retina display and you are looking at the original resolution (640x480 for each player) of the game with only half the display! Crazy!

- Grag
07-24-2011, 12:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
Virtual buttons? Sold! Downloading now

Love 'takes' or 'similar' versions of classic games which aren't available on iOS
Please let us know how these work out for you. Almost all of the beta testers ended up switching to the virtual sticks because they ended up preferring those. But we'd love to know if there is anything we can do to make the virtual buttons even better.

Last edited by Around the Clock Games; 07-24-2011 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Learning how to quote properly. :)
07-24-2011, 01:00 PM
...and with that, I'm convinced.

"I am virgin, I'm a whore! Giving nothing; the taker, the maker of war!" - Black Sabbath, "I"