★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Josh Blazer
  • Genre: Simulation
  • Device: iPad
  • Size: 25.0 MB
  • Version: 1.1
  • Price: Free
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: Experience the thrill of RC Truck racing! Race against 3 other trucks and win the gold on five unique tracks.

Features:
- Accurate physics simulation
- Gold medals awarded for 1st place
- Best time stored for each track
- Practice area for refining driving skills
- top down and 3d camera controls
- 2 speed settings
- 5 fully 3d track environments
- 3 competitor trucks to race against

jblazer's comments:
HD iPad version of my simulation game RC Racing Pro released today for 99cents.

App Store Link
07-26-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!

07-26-2011, 11:42 AM
Now this looks rather good. An RC racer that actually simulates RC racing, imagine that. Would like to see how it runs as my only real concern is the frame rate, but at 99c could just about chance it.
07-26-2011, 12:21 PM
Game Impressions

This is certainly a little rough around the edges, but warts and all it's still one of the best "racers" on the iPad and the only "RC" game I've played that fits the name. I'm not going to list all of its warts here for you, but I will point out the only significant issue: the controls are too large, too far towards the center of the screen to reach comfortably, and too low. This is the only thing that really needs to be addressed ASAP, preferably giving the user options to adjust all three of the above variables to their liking.

Aside from that, if you have even an inkling you might like this sort of game, don't hesitate to risk your dollar. It is unique and well worth that, with potential to be worth a lot more if the developer provides it with a little more love in the fine tuning and attention to detail department. It has received a lot of the same already to this point, and it plainly shows.
07-26-2011, 02:54 PM
I've always loved games like this and have many of them.....I like this one quite a bit, but I'm having trouble with the steering....it's almost like I turn the RC car and THEN it starts to turn in the game....I find myself looking down to make sure I have my hand on the joystick correct because it's not turning as soon as I move the joystick.
07-26-2011, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the feedback (and for the d/l!) - Like many, I'm a one man shop that does this as a hobby... I will try to address the controls issue in giving a few options for control location in the next revision - In terms of the controls I had never thought about putting them up higher - good thought...
Reducing controls in size is easy (already did that and eliminated the pots altogether for the iPhone version on it's way)...

In terms of drivability, wow there are so many factors - my car physics model has extensive tweakability even if it doesn't yet come out in the app. And yes there is a "dead zone" in the middle of the joystick to prevent oversteer which may be the steering trouble. I'll look at reducing the size of the dead zone a little. Can't tell you how many hours and different combinations of wheel slide, power to the wheels, turning radius, etc. I've tried to make it fairly accurate, but realize there is opportunity to improve. I think in the spirit of simulation I'll just put the values up there (within reason) and let people tweak the car to their liking. I had planned further customization like this initially but after 4-5 months of (albeit part-time) dev was ready to get this out.

Have my work cut out...
Anyway thanks again for the feedback. would appreciate a review on the app store as well if you haven't already.

Last edited by jblazer; 07-26-2011 at 05:18 PM.
07-26-2011, 05:52 PM
Thanks for stopping by here !...Always great to see a developer in the forums

"I'll look at reducing the size of the dead zone a little."

I didn't realize it had a dead zone in the controls, I bet that is my problem....Most of these touched based games nowadays turn on a dime....you move the controller they immediately move.....Thinking I'm just used to that.

I'll keep playing it and see if I can get more used to it....Look forward to any updates you can make too ! ......Being able to tweak it for each person would be great !
07-26-2011, 06:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblazer View Post
Thanks for the feedback (and for the d/l!) - Like many, I'm a one man shop that does this as a hobby... I will try to address the controls issue in giving a few options for control location in the next revision - In terms of the controls I had never thought about putting them up higher - good thought...
Reducing controls in size is easy (already did that and eliminated the pots altogether for the iPhone version on it's way)...

In terms of drivability, wow there are so many factors - my car physics model has extensive tweakability even if it doesn't yet come out in the app. And yes there is a "dead zone" in the middle of the joystick to prevent oversteer which may be the steering trouble. I'll look at reducing the size of the dead zone a little. Can't tell you how many hours and different combinations of wheel slide, power to the wheels, turning radius, etc. I've tried to make it fairly accurate, but realize there is opportunity to improve. I think in the spirit of simulation I'll just put the values up there (within reason) and let people tweak the car to their liking. I had planned further customization like this initially but after 4-5 months of (albeit part-time) dev was ready to get this out.

Have my work cut out...
Anyway thanks again for the feedback. would appreciate a review on the app store as well if you haven't already.
The physics are actually very, very good. The work you've put in there certainly shows. There's definitely an oversteer factor that kicks in at higher speeds. It doesn't bother me since it feels spot on realistic. I also thought the steering was a little slow at the start though, and the dead zone explains it. I think making the controls smaller though will partly fix that problem as well. But in the end, having control size and placement be user adjustable is still key on the iPad, thanks for looking into it.

A couple of other things I noticed:

What is the difference between simple and pro steering modes? I couldn't tell.

Is "fast" mode working properly? Again, I couldn't see a lot of difference. I did see a huge difference though (in speed!) when switching to AWD, which seemed odd. Additionally the computer cars don't appear to reflect the adjustment which means that switching to AWD results in easy wins.
07-26-2011, 07:10 PM
There's about a 20% increase in steering sensitivity with pro mode on. It's honestly a little tougher to drive, just a little more responsive.

The awd does apply power to all 4 wheels thereby increasing the speed. Might need to balance that a bit. The competitor cars also do go faster, but they are slower to accelerate giving the player a bit of an advantage if you can control it at the higher speed.

I'm reworking the control placements now. The pots will be semi-transparent as long as it doesn't affect framerate. Looking at raising them up to just below midpoint on the screen. The bottom black area will be greatly scaled down as well to just the title...

Has to go through the review process of course but will try to have an updated binary done by the weekend. Again thanks for the support and feedback!
07-26-2011, 08:09 PM
Purchased. Enjoy the 69 cents! Looks fun so far. Now to some shadows onto the obstacles so we have a better sense of exactly how they lay on the course, and maybe some cool elements like ice and water.

Keep up the good work. Nice to see a lone developer do something cool.

Bryan