★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Letter Matrix Lite - Nice Word Game

04-22-2009, 11:26 PM
Letter Matrix Lite - Nice Word Game

Letter Matrix Lite - Free - 16.6 MB

Letter Matrix - $3.99 - 16.6 MB

This is yet another word game but it is very polished.

The gameplay is simple: letters fall from the top (you can't control them like in a Tetris game) and you can form choosing letters from any position in the stack.

The game has everything well put together: graphics, animations, awesome interface, subtle sounds and even an OK music that you can turn off.

Right now only the Lite version is available.

Here's the game description:

Quote:
So you think working in a library is easy? Let’s put your Dewey decimal skills to the test.

Letter Matrix, a USA Network Games exclusive, is a challenging game that appeals to the consummate wordsmith, as well as the novice speller. It is a word game of tempo, starting slow and becoming faster as it tests a player’s ability to balance wit, strategy and composure, while creating words.

As books fall, choose letters from any position in the stack to form words. If you let all of the books stack up to the top of the game play area, the game is over.

While trying for the large word scores yields more points and bragging rights, it also increases pressure and creates a scenario where one wrong move could cost you the game. Pay attention to letter values and word length bonuses to really maximize your score.

There are only 3 levels available in the Lite version, however the Full version offers 20 action-packed levels that become progressively more challenging and create a rich dynamic gaming experience. Keep an eye out for the full version, coming soon!

Basic Features:

* Multiple touch methods to clear, submit and alter words.
* Dynamic tempo-based soundtrack
* Save your game

Full Version Features:

* 20 action packed levels
* Word Look-Up – spell check, return suggestions and get point values.
* High Scores – local & global high score lists to track your standing.
* Statistics – track interesting game stats
* Game play tips

iPhone 6 and iPad Mini iOS 8

Last edited by Carlos-Sz; 04-25-2009 at 08:02 PM.
04-23-2009, 10:01 AM
Great find. I'll check it out.

Thanks.

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL

04-25-2009, 07:48 PM
04-25-2009, 07:58 PM
Gameplay sounds similar to the recently released Alpha Blox, I think.

Anyway, this looks lovely... Definitely giving the free version a try.
04-25-2009, 08:00 PM
Thanks DaveMc99! I'll probably purchase it later today.

iPhone 6 and iPad Mini iOS 8
04-25-2009, 08:14 PM
I wish the letters were a little bigger. Also wish there were difficulty/speed options. And highlighting the letters in standard neon green seems out of place. It sort of takes away from the elegant look.

Those are my only "negatives" at the moment. Otherwise, the game looks great. I wonder how USA is associated with this. I'm surprised how nice it is if it's just to promote something on the network.
04-26-2009, 01:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post
Gameplay sounds similar to the recently released Alpha Blox, I think.

Anyway, this looks lovely... Definitely giving the free version a try.
Yeah, in some ways it is and in some ways it isn't.

This game lets you combine letters from anywhere on the board.

In AlphaBlox, you play it where it lays, so to speak. You have to direct the blocks to land in the proper sequence to spell a word.

This game feels much more frantic than AB too. The artwork is very nice, for the most part. The typeface for the letters is kind of thin and bland, but whatever, I'm liking the gameplay.

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL
04-26-2009, 02:35 PM
Is anyone else's eyes freaking out when looking at the icon? Does the book with the letter "L" on it look blurry? Or is it time for me to call the optometrist??? 8-(
04-26-2009, 07:16 PM
A couple of questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post
Is anyone else's eyes freaking out when looking at the icon? Does the book with the letter "L" on it look blurry? Or is it time for me to call the optometrist??? 8-(
The Letter L book is out of focus so it looks very blurry. No need to call the eye doctor just yet!

I love word games and I am always looking to add another to my collection. I tried the lite version and I am wondering what dictionary or word list is being used for this game. And is anyone having an issue with the wildcard 'letters'? Can you form words when you use them?
04-26-2009, 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snow_mani View Post
The Letter L book is out of focus so it looks very blurry. No need to call the eye doctor just yet!

I love word games and I am always looking to add another to my collection. I tried the lite version and I am wondering what dictionary or word list is being used for this game. And is anyone having an issue with the wildcard 'letters'? Can you form words when you use them?
Phew!

If you're talking about the asterisk books, then yes, I tried using one in a word (assuming it was a "blank"), and it would not allow it. I haven't tried looking into what these books actually do yet...