★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Way too many game apps in the store!!!

11-07-2008, 04:00 PM
Way too many game apps in the store!!!

Man there is like waaaay to many apps in the apps store, everyday I look at new apps and theres more and more come out.

Are there any new apps recently released thats awesome thats not being talked about in here? 99% of the apps I see we don't even talk about here. and I can't even keep up with em.
11-07-2008, 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kursndax View Post
99% of the apps I see we don't even talk about here. and I can't even keep up with em.
Thats because 99% of all the apps suck.

11-07-2008, 05:09 PM
Apple should have a delete system based on the score and number of downloads of each app...
They should give each app 4 to 6 months to prove itself worthy and if the app performed poorly, they should delete it...

That or change the Store's layout...
11-07-2008, 05:16 PM
maybe they could sort the games by categories, theres way more games than anything else in the store
11-07-2008, 05:16 PM
Send a message via AIM to superbad
as it stands though the rating system isnt really 100% bullet proof.

when a great app is priced a couple of $$ higher than what the market expects, the reviewers thumbs down the app thus resulting in low ratings. this is true in most cases but there are some gems of an app out there that are reasonably priced with buyers being tooooooo cheap-O!S
11-07-2008, 05:35 PM
The whole app store system needs to be reworked in my opinion. My free app on its first day in the app store held a post date of about 15 days before the date it first showed up. So my app was never at the top of the games list. It was in fact so far down the list I didnt even want to scroll that far to look for it. Therefore this leads me to believe that there are probably a lot of great apps with very little exposure. If you can't get a top position in the app store your app will not do well. This is a flaw of the app store and is leading to alot of great stuff being lost.

kwigbo.com - iPhone dev blog with code snippets and more.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
iReviewFail.com Funny reviews from the iOS App Store
11-07-2008, 05:37 PM
I never understood why games were mashed in with everything else. A separate "Games Store" with some radical re-organization would be nice. The iTunes store shows some promise in this regard but it's been my experience that getting on the device App Store is the only way to get noticed.

As far as the rampant crapware goes it basically comes down to what people are buying. The 99 cent stuff rules - no matter the quality. The top app today has an average rating of 2.5 in the US and dozens of scolding 1 star reviews - yet people keep buying it (WTF?) As long as that trend continues you're going to see more 1-2 week efforts by the dumpload.

A lot of devs complain Apple is too strict, but I for one would like to see much stricter acceptance rules and developer fees in the range of $500 or $1000 per year.

SHREDD GO FAST! FREE!
Nozoku Rush Kick Math's Ass!
Critter Panic Break yer brain! FREE!
Silverfish & Silverfish MAX Hardcore arcade insanity!
Nozoku A casual game of math & logic.
More: cbox.me Twitter YouTube
11-07-2008, 05:49 PM
There should be an option to filter by rating. If I could get a list of all the 4-5 star apps I might actually look through the list again. As it is now I rely on word of mouth and external advertising.
11-07-2008, 06:04 PM
I suspect there may be an announcement of efficiency revisions to the App Store at the Moscone Center in Jan 2009...

Last edited by salsamd; 11-07-2008 at 08:00 PM.
11-07-2008, 06:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Condello View Post
A lot of devs complain Apple is too strict, but I for one would like to see much stricter acceptance rules and developer fees in the range of $500 or $1000 per year.
I for one would not be able to develop apps if the cost was that high. Charging more for people to develop apps doesn't necessarily mean the apps will be higher quality. Charging more just kills the opportunity for the individual. Just because you have money doesn't mean you can write good code. Also just because the app is made by a big company doesn't mean that it will be high quality either. Sometimes the big companies will cut corners to save time and money. Whereas people like me who are just making games for the pleasure of making games don't care about the time and effort. They care about quality and user experience. So in a price raise like that you might cut out some of the trash but you would also be depriving the platform of good software as well.

kwigbo.com - iPhone dev blog with code snippets and more.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
iReviewFail.com Funny reviews from the iOS App Store