★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Games and Shake actions.

04-23-2009, 01:06 AM
Games and Shake actions.

Just because the device can be shaken for an action does not mean that has to be thrown in.

WordFu. We have the dice which you can flick around and yet to submit a word you have to shake the device? How does that work then? They are dice then fixed solidly to the floor?

Wurdle. Shake to jumble letters. No button to do the same? Does the shake make the game sexier?

There are many other examples.
Devs, please, if you really want to use shake at least let us have an alternative.

You do realise that a shake action limits where the game can be played?

And what is a 'shake'? My ipod touch has a screen that I can see things on so when I shake it I cannot see it. Sort of defeats the point especially if my first initial shake is not good enough. The 'flick' does not always work, again meaning you have to do it twice and against a timer that sucks big style.

Shake should be optional and state that in the description.

My apologies if this is discussed elsewhere but hey, wherever it is no-one is reading it.
04-23-2009, 01:10 AM
I actually agree. That's why I don't ever play Iron Fist Boxing.

GameCenter: NotYou_ver1.0

Last edited by NotYou; 04-23-2009 at 01:13 AM.

04-23-2009, 01:11 AM
Totally agree, I don't enjoy shaking the device for gameplay. It doesn't add anything special for me and most of the time it takes away cause I am unable to see the screen.

The only game that I've played that works is Smack Me which is a simple game where thats one of the commands to "Shake Me". Other then that I wish this control method would die and as you said at least needs an alternative control scheme.
04-23-2009, 01:17 AM
While I agree that shake shouldn't be added to a game just cause it can I think your examples could have been better.

In WordFu you need to know all your letters so you can make words in your head. Flicking a single die makes a lot of sense as it doesn't disrupt the view of the other die. The shake to submit is actually a wonderful twist. You are smacking the dice with a kung fu chop in order to submit.

In Wurdle the shake for new tiles is based on the board game Boggle where you shake the lettered dice when no words can be formed.

A better example would be is Strategery where you shake to generate a new random map. Now the dev does offer a button for this but why they would implement a "shake for new map" control makes no sense to me whatsoever
04-23-2009, 01:22 AM
I absolutely agree with markx2. I hate having to shake the iPod so much that I usually won't play any game that requires it. I also really dislike the accelerometer controls. Devs should always give us the option to use touch controls instead if at all possible. Also, please mention mandatory accelerometer controls so I can avoid the purchase.
04-23-2009, 03:57 PM
Hi all,

Chiming in with a WordFu tip. You actually don't have to shake to submit each word, though it does go with the theming. There are two options in the game to get around this.

The first option is to turn the shake sensitivity up all the way in the Options screen, you barely have to touch the iPhone to submit.
OR (and the way I personally play)
You can tap on the word you are spelling to submit it.

Give it a try!
04-23-2009, 04:36 PM
They implemented the "shake" feature to make the game "cool" (ie, "hey look at how high-tech this game is~ it responds to "shaking"), when in reality it just makes the game more stupid than it has to be. Shaking is sometimes unresponsive, you cannot see the screen when shaking, and seriously unnecessary.
04-23-2009, 04:44 PM
@elio - thanks for the info. That got wordfu reinstalled

My initial choices were poor - they were the ones irritating me at the time.
Enso Dot is a relaxing puzzle game but shake to reset. Nonsense.
We all know there are others.
Do I want to sit in public shaking a device? I'd rather not thanks.

Like Aurora I do think it has been added for the cool factor but for me it takes what could be a game and makes it into a novelty. So by all means add shake as an option or at least tell us that shake is necessary and is not an option.

Just because you can does not mean you should