★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Boxd - simple, fun and incredibly addictive!

04-23-2009, 03:49 AM
Boxd - simple, fun and incredibly addictive!

Hi all,

My app was added to the store a few days ago, so take a look! It's a very addictive and incredibly simple board game/puzzle - perfect for tuning your tactical abilities!

You can check out the website: http://boxdgame.com

or just jump straight to iTunes:

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=311461678

All feedback welcome!

Cheers,

Dave.
04-23-2009, 07:41 AM
It seems simple and sometimes simplicity is for the best.

I see you have a high score based on time. Is there statistics as well? Winnings/Losses?

Is there a lite version coming?

iPhone 6 and iPad Mini iOS 8

04-23-2009, 08:06 AM
Could potentially be interesting... Would be keen to see a gameplay video of it though, to get a real "feel" for it.

Any chance of uploading something to YouTube?

Artwork, animation & UI-design for Beyond Ynth Parachute Panic Chicken Raid
Multiple icon-sets design for Thingy Blox
04-23-2009, 10:38 AM
Got the game I'll be posting my impressions soon. There's an update coming soon that seems to improve it quite a bit.

I like it even though I have yet to win lol.

You pretty much have a board broken up into squares. You have a chip and your opponent have a chip. You move first. You have to move your chip (up, down, left, right, diagonally) one step, and then box out one square. Then the other players does the same. Goal: To box in your opponent. Last game I was one step away from boxing him in lol.

Yay I won one! When you win you unlock other "levels" with pre-boxed in squares.

Don't check this site or private messages often.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 04-23-2009 at 10:47 AM.
04-23-2009, 11:24 AM
Hi all,

Thanks for taking a look at the game! Feedback in invaluable, so keep the comments/questions coming!

The high scores are just based on the best "thinking time" from the game (ie the time you take to decide where to move and where to place the block). I found that counting the time for the computer player move, and all the animations was a bit over the top!

There isn't a winnings/losses count, but I do plan to put this in with the iPhone 3.0 version for multiplayer across bluetooth (and so it will probably end up being in the single player version too!).

Simplicity is the key for the moment. I have several ideas to make it more complicated, and I plan to roll some of them out in the coming weeks - so I'll post again when I do!

In terms of demos, I've quickly put together a quicktime movie of how the game works. (Sorry about the watermark, I didn't want to buy the screen casting program!)

http://boxdgame.com/demo.mov

As for "lite" versions, I'll start to think about it when there are features that I can "strip out" that aren't going to affect the game play too much.

Keep the comments coming!

Cheers,

Dave.

Last edited by dhowden; 04-23-2009 at 11:47 AM.
04-23-2009, 06:02 PM
Up to level 5 but it's getting harder now

04-24-2009, 06:12 PM
Downloaded this game earlier in the week, and I've been hooked ever since. Nice work. Eagerly awaiting the updates!

I've already submitted a review to appleappreview.com, so should appear shortly. If not, I'll post it here...

J.
04-24-2009, 06:30 PM
Almost like my all time favorite 10 min 2 player strategy game Quoridor. Not 100% clear how this one works but in Quoridor each player has ten 2 length walls they place on their turn or they move. First to reach other side wins. One rule is must always have a path. Strategy is you can block yourself to not have to go far.

So far from what I read you remove blocks on your turn or move? What does the initial blocks look like? It is always 8 x 6 right? Is the pattern always the same?
04-24-2009, 06:39 PM
You ADD blocks, and first person WITHOUT a path loses One move, one path, one move, one path, etc.

I love it.

04-25-2009, 05:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstansfield View Post
Downloaded this game earlier in the week, and I've been hooked ever since. Nice work. Eagerly awaiting the updates!

I've already submitted a review to appleappreview.com, so should appear shortly. If not, I'll post it here...

J.
Hey, your review is up and running! I took the liberty to add the demo video inside too!

Simon Tay