★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Oolong is a kung fu monk on a perilous mission to bring General Ginsu to justice and rescue his friend, Princess Meri. Kung Fu Monk features gorgeous rendered graphics, a cinematic story, a heart pounding musical score, breaking challenges, star tossing, and OpenFeint powered leaderboards. KungFu Monk is iPad and retina display compatible, too!

Once upon a time, there was an orphaned princess named Meri. The king and queen had been killed in a palace coup, but a group of kind monks had rescued her and raised her in a beautiful temple.

General Ginsu had done away with Meri's parents when she was an infant. The temple was secluded, but it was only a matter of time before he found her. Meri was now grown up, and Ginsu became obsessed, not with killing her, but with having her as a bride.

take out enemies with powerful kicks and punches
fry foes with fireballs
bodyslam evil ninja and soldiers
leap over bottomless pits
swim through a shark infested lake
slay bloodthirsty zombies in an ancient Chinese graveyard
climb cliffs while beset by hungry hawks and falling boulders
rescue Princess Meri from a booby trapped dungeon!

Visit the support site through the convenient in-game "NB" button for strategy tips and more.

Stroffolino's comments:
Oolong is a kung fu monk on a perilous mission to bring General Ginsu to justice and rescue his friend, Princess Meri. Kung Fu Monk features rendered graphics, a cinematic story, a heart pounding musical score, breaking challenges, star tossing, and OpenFeint powered leaderboards. KungFu Monk is iPad and retina display compatible, too!

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Once upon a time, there was an orphaned princess named Meri. The king and queen had been killed in a palace coup, but a group of kind monks had rescued her and raised her in a beautiful temple.

General Ginsu had done away with Meri's parents when she was an infant. The temple was secluded, but it was only a matter of time before he found her. Meri was now grown up, and Ginsu became obsessed, not with killing her, but with having her as a bride.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

- take out enemies with powerful kicks and punches
- fry foes with fireballs
- bodyslam evil ninja and soldiers
- leap over bottomless pits
- swim through a shark infested lake
- slay bloodthirsty zombies in an ancient Chinese graveyard
- climb cliffs while beset by hungry hawks and falling boulders
- rescue Princess Meri from a booby trapped dungeon!

Youtube link | Pop Up
07-29-2011, 03:06 AM
Looks really interesting. Can you adjust the buttons so they get smaller or move them on iPad?

07-29-2011, 03:06 AM
This looked promising from the screenshots but after watching the video I think the animation really lets the side down. I'd still like to try it but can wait until there's a lite out.
07-29-2011, 03:39 AM
There are no control configuration option in the initial release. Would be easy to do this in 1.1 update, though.

Take it easy,
Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leegames View Post
Looks really interesting. Can you adjust the buttons so they get smaller or move them on iPad?
07-29-2011, 03:55 PM
I wish I could recommend this since it's coming from a long time forum member, but I simply cannot. Gabrien mentioned the rough animation, which really isn't a huge deal for me, but overall the game feels unpolished, with nearly unreadable cut-scene text, ugly and awkwardly placed controls, oddly mismatched graphics (the coins seem to come from a different game), poor hit detection, imprecise platforming, etc. But what really killed the game for me (and why I ended up deleting it from my device) is the crazy arcade set-up. You get a set number of lives and once you run through them you go back all the way to the beginning of the game -- no matter how many levels you have already completed. There are no continues, no level selection that I could see, and every time you start you are forced to go through the entire opening cut-scene (you can tab quickly through the screens, but there is no skip button) and a fairly lengthy tutorial. This would not be much of a problem, except that there are no health potions and while you are getting used to the controls you will die a lot.

It's too bad, because the concept is quite good -- the game is basically a mash up of a fighting game and a side-scrolling brawler/platformer. The graphics are not bad and there seems to be a decent amount of variety to the environments and gameplay. But the execution is lacking, and the arcade-like set up is endlessly frustrating. Hopefully Stroffolino's team will get the message and give the game the major update it sorely needs.
07-29-2011, 04:13 PM
Your health is replished at the end of each level.
You earn a free life for every 10 collected coins.
You earn a life by defeating bosses.
You earn lives by completing breaking challenges.

The support page (click the "nb" button) describes how to continue after losing all your lives.

It also offers the option of starting with 100 lives for people that don't like the arcade style difficulty. If you have the game already installed, you can click the "Start with 100 Lives" button there, or here!

Last edited by Stroffolino; 07-29-2011 at 07:32 PM.
07-29-2011, 07:29 PM
promo fun

I've got some spare promo codes. in order to earn one, name an arcade, computer, or console beat 'em up from the 1980s, without naming the same game twice, along with something you liked about it.
07-29-2011, 07:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroffolino View Post
Your health is replished at the end of each level.
You earn a free life for every 10 collected coins.
You earn a life by defeating bosses.
You earn lives by completing breaking challenges.

The support page (click the "nb" button) describes how to continue after losing all your lives.

It also offers the option of starting with 100 lives for people that don't like the arcade style difficulty. If you have the game already installed, you can click the "Start with 100 Lives" button there, or here!
Needless to say, all that information should be on the game itself.
07-29-2011, 07:51 PM
Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid
Quote:
I've got some spare promo codes. in order to earn one, name an arcade, computer, or console beat 'em up from the 1980s, without naming the same game twice, along with something you liked about it.
Double Dragon. =oD

Sorry forgot to add what I liked about it...

It was the first beat-em-up I ever played. I use to go over to my friend, Brian's, house and play it all the time. I use to love stayin up all nite mashin buttons while gettin my butt kicked (I was 6... hehe). But after-wards, me and Brian would stay up longer doing our 'Kung-Fu Moves' and saving our town from the evil candy stealing bully up the street... =oP

Last edited by syntheticvoid; 07-29-2011 at 07:55 PM.
07-29-2011, 08:40 PM
Quote:
I will say the original Street Fighter! because it led to one of the greatest beat 'em up games of all times. Nuff Said.

"The previous Dead Trigger thread was the most reported thread in the TouchArcade forum's history." - Eli Hodapp