★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: CastleGuard2 is Out [Free for a while]

04-23-2009, 02:00 PM
CastleGuard2 is Out [Free for a while]

[App Store Link]

CastleGuard2 is out. It was originally meant to be an update for CastleGuard which I released last month, but some changes to the submission process made it necessary to create an entire new application.

It's no Underworlds but it's a one-dev game and I'm proud of what I've accomplished thus far in the wee hours of the night.

I will be keeping the game free for a little while to let the original purchasers of CastleGuard grab it while it's hot.

Thanks to the critics and supporters both for their valuable feedback.

Enjoy! or not, as you prefer

CastleGuard2 is the groundbreaking sequel to the CastleGuard defense game. It is one of the iPhone's first *real* 3D fantasy rpg games. This is the second entry in a new series which will define roleplaying games on mobile platforms. Using a minimum of onscreen controls, you can explore the dungeon, fight the creatures within, unlock secrets, pickup health, and find the level bosses.

CastleGuard's famous hero is back, this time to clear the dungeon of the evil undead minions of the wizard Bargley.

Your weapons are a flaming sword, and a bow of fireballs. Your opponents can blast you with spells, missile attacks, or up close and personal melee combat.

New features:
<--Full tilt-based movement
<--Collision detecting 3rd party camera system
<--Openable doors
<--Load-optimized AI monsters
<--Melee and missile auto-weapon switch
<--Heal and Point pickups
<--Caster, Archer, Melee enemies and Boss enemies
<--Multiple enemies per spawn point
<--Area spawning and cinematic camera sweep

Last edited by salsamd; 04-23-2009 at 08:07 PM.
04-23-2009, 02:04 PM
Thanks for the post, it looks very nice, I will give it a try.

04-23-2009, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the update Dave. I'm looking forward to trying this. The first one had so much potential so the free movement in CG2 will be interesting to see.
04-23-2009, 02:09 PM
Tilt based movement? Can't imagine how that works well.
Wasn't your first game more of a tech demo than an actual game?
Will this be the same or is there actually a structured set up with character and stage progression?
It looks nice especially for someone doing it by themselves, but if it's a tech demo, I don't know how I feel about knowing you will be charging money for it (later).
04-23-2009, 02:10 PM
downloading now

btw you should contact apple about rotating the preview images on your app's store page
04-23-2009, 02:12 PM
Grabbed this one. The first was very interesting and I am anxious to see if this game reaches its potential.

My reviewer name is "Wawd Buhton".
04-23-2009, 02:25 PM
The original was definitely flimsy, but I bought it anyway off the potential that Dave had intended for it. For a single developer, it's really impressive. Dave's been really open to feedback, which I feel is important in improving a game. It has a lot of potential, and he can always respond to more feedback and make adjustments if needed. I'm personally curious about the tilt controls to see whether they will be viable.
04-23-2009, 02:27 PM
VooDoo, this is a different market than what you might be used to in the large commercial arenas. There are a lot of Indie developers like myself creating games and asking a very low price for them. It's almost a given that some games will grow organically and as developers we have a unique opportunity to grow a game based on user feedback combined with original vision. That being said, if you don't want to try it out, please do not download the free app, and definitely don't waste a dollar or two when I make it a paid app. Over 1000 people grabbed the original and it's my responsibility to improve it over time to provide the entertainment they're looking for while I improve the quality of the brand. The original took 3 nights of coding after a few weeks of research. This update took 3 weeks of coding.

It's very different from the original in terms of gameplay. It's got what I wanted to add in a very short timeframe, and I am releasing updates as they are ready. There are a lot in the pipeline that I would like to make, but not as a pure labor of love. I'm close to having an online technology working as well for this style of fantasy RPG battle, and while I have stats and level progression completed, I may not put it into a .99 game.

It's a tough game of tug of war indeed!
04-23-2009, 02:29 PM
Wow it's developed by one person? That's an amazing feat; I thought most games (well at least the proper ones) were developed by a team or something x3
I'm syncing right now; reading from the description, the only thing I don't like is the "tilt-based movement". If I'm interpreting it right, the character moves by tilting the iPhone in various directions right? To me that's a really awkward method of movement and when I tilt the phone I wouldn't be able to see the screen as well. I think the virtual D-pad or joystick idea is much more convenient.
A bug I noticed is that the game will not show up if I search for "Castleguard", nor will it show up if I click "show all applications by Dave Young". Weird.

Last edited by Aurora; 04-23-2009 at 02:32 PM.
04-23-2009, 02:33 PM
Nice. Will the new one come out in the UK appstore? If so, when? and is it still free?

edit: I clicked on your link and it worked and I downloaded it fine, but somehow it still won't show up under "All apps by Dave Young" Which is strange. There is only the original one. Great work though, you must be very skilled and committed to make such an excellent app by only yourself. Keep up the great work

Last edited by LBG; 04-23-2009 at 02:39 PM.