★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Uniwar: am I doing something wrong?

04-23-2009, 02:44 PM
Uniwar: am I doing something wrong?

I am completely stuck in uniwar and I cannot for the life of me figure out what I am doing wrong.
I'm on the level that intros the human air and naval units and cannot make any headway. It always comes down to a stalemate of some kind with the computer having a slight edge.

It seems like the problem is that my damage and movement abilities seem totally inconsistent. Sometimes units that can usually cover half the map get confined to mving just a square or two; I guess it has something to do with the positin of enemy units but it seems completely impossible to predict.
Also, sometimes I will attack an enemy unit three or four times in a turn with fairly powerful units and do a total of 0-1 damage. The supposed gangup bonus seems to do absolutely nothing so I end up using my entire turn attacking one unit that doesn't get hurt because damage isn't working and I can't retreat because suddenly my units only move a square at a time.

I was really enjoying the game until this level- can anyone throw some ideas my way?
04-23-2009, 02:48 PM
what level? Also if your surrounded by enemies, you can only move one space also, about dealing no damage... many your unit is not effective against the other (look up stats, like ground light, ground heavy, aerial, etc...) Also in the info for units, you can see in terrain the effects they have, like mountains slows ground light units down a lot.

edit: is it on the map that starts with a P and is also the first water map?

04-23-2009, 02:57 PM
That is precisely the map.

I get that my movement is restricted by my environment and enemies, but it just doesn't seem to be consistent. It might just be that this map puts you in this awful corner.

As far as damage I get weaknesses, etc, but I will attack some units with literally everything I have on the board and have no effect.

Any ideas for strategy on this level?
04-23-2009, 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaytee View Post
I am completely stuck in uniwar and I cannot for the life of me figure out what I am doing wrong.
I'm on the level that intros the human air and naval units and cannot make any headway. It always comes down to a stalemate of some kind with the computer having a slight edge.

It seems like the problem is that my damage and movement abilities seem totally inconsistent. Sometimes units that can usually cover half the map get confined to mving just a square or two; I guess it has something to do with the positin of enemy units but it seems completely impossible to predict.
Also, sometimes I will attack an enemy unit three or four times in a turn with fairly powerful units and do a total of 0-1 damage. The supposed gangup bonus seems to do absolutely nothing so I end up using my entire turn attacking one unit that doesn't get hurt because damage isn't working and I can't retreat because suddenly my units only move a square at a time.

I was really enjoying the game until this level- can anyone throw some ideas my way?
For the movement, Remember that the type of terrain effects how far a unit can move.

For the damage, Some units get a NEGATIVE added to their damage depending on what kind of terrain they are on. Some units just do poorly against others (Light ground fighters vs Heavy Tanks), and the gangup bonus damage is different based on the position of your units.

Gang up: An enemy has 6 tiles surrounding it. Attack with one unit. If the second unit to attack is touching the first unit then the bonus is +1. If the second unit is NOT touching the first then the bonus is +2. If the second unit is on the EXACT OPPOSITE side of the first unit (essentially hitting the enemy unit in the back) then the bonus goes up to +3.

Hope that helps!
04-23-2009, 03:11 PM
- Damaged units do much less damage to enemies and has much lower defense, in fact sometimes no damage is dealt and the damage unit just kills itself by trying to attack; this is why you always attack with a full health unit first and then finish off with a damaged unit

Damage done without taking into consideration the landscape (this is from experience):
- Light units (the marine, the critter thing, and the robot thing) do 0-1 damage to heavy units (tanks, etc) when full health; heavy units do 6-9 damage to light units when full health and almost always take 0 damage (exception is the human tank, which takes 1 damage if attacking a full health light unit)
- Light units do 3-5 damage to aerial units when full health; aerial units do 4-7 damage to light units when full health
- Aerial units do 3-7 damage to other aerial units (of course depends on what aerial unit you're using) when full health; aerial units do 0-3 damage to heavy units at full health (likely 0-1 if enemy is full health)
- Heavy units that can attack aerial units do 3-6 damage at full health
- Marine units do 4-8 damage to other marine units when full health; the weakest marine unit is the critter clan one that shoots acid or something; marine units do 4-8 damage to light land units, 1-5 damage to heavy units, and 3-7 damage to air units when full health

- ALWAYS try to block the enemy command pads by just standing on it with any unit (yes even flying units will work); this will stop them from dishing out units every single turn; this is especially important for marine unit production pads
Is the level you're stuck on the level where you can manufacture the battleship? If it is then fly a helicopter to attack the enemy ship on the first turn, then on the next turn head straight for the enemy marine pad to block it. Without the ability to produce ships, the enemy weakens dramatically and the level becomes a walk in the park.

Last edited by Aurora; 04-23-2009 at 03:18 PM.
04-23-2009, 03:20 PM
Is this level 6 that you are talking about? I had such a hard time on that one as well! I finally got around to beating it the other day.

I found that if you move your ship right next to the other ship and attack, it will usually take half its life and for some reason you wont take as much damage (No damage at all most of the time). After that, keep your ship close to the middle because the computer will at some point create another ship. When that happens do the same by getting right next to it and attack. It will then move away from you and attack you. Then get right next to it to finish it off. After this happens you will have a great advantage of destroying the other units because of the ships power and range.

Hopefully this helps! I played/restarted this darn map about 10 times until I finally beat it by doing what I mentioned above. Good luck.

Such a great game!

Last edited by NRunner; 04-23-2009 at 03:26 PM.
04-23-2009, 03:28 PM
well me? Well... i actually forgot... keep thinking about the match on that map I had with a friend so Im afraid im mixing them two up. Yet I think from the match i had with my friend, I learned to NOT BUILD A SHIP. I was human he was titans, and my ship was pretty useless (of course my friend is better than the ai though... I built the ship for the range, yet he was smart and built units only on the top layers of land so my ship could not reach while he built walkers... and I went on the defense then lost)

So the counter the opponents ship, use helicopters like i did.
04-23-2009, 03:30 PM
You must build a ship in that mission; it is one of the objectives.
Key is to block the opponent's ship pad with helicopter, like I said above.
04-23-2009, 03:40 PM
huh, must of forgot about the level then...
04-23-2009, 03:40 PM
Ok, so...since this thread is already here. Can someone help me out with level 18 (there are three bases on each corner and four spaced in the middle. I do ok until a certain point (when the enemy starts making heavy ground units) because it takes four or five attacks to even try to kill one of their heavy units. Also, the light ground units on my side are too slow to get to the center in time....and the long range missle unit (I forget what it is called) is too expensive (750, I think).

Any help is appreciated.

By the way, the middle units are surrounded by land that puts me at a disadvantage as well.

I am the managing editor of nodpad.com.

Sporting an iPod Touch 2 Gen