★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

strategy behind Cordy free?

07-29-2011, 02:17 PM
strategy behind Cordy free?

uhh...scratch that whole thing. I'm stupid and misread the article.

Games delivered fresh.

See AMAZING MeatBot! or visit our Dev Blog

Last edited by milkmangames; 07-29-2011 at 02:22 PM. Reason: didn't rtfa
07-29-2011, 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmangames View Post
I thought this was interesting. On Wednesday I was scanning new releases, and the Cordy icon jumped out at me. Seemed very polished, but was free and had no IAP, so I was intrigued and downloaded it, wondering what the business model was.

Next day, saw it featured by Apple, still free.

Today, featured on TouchArcade with the paid price.

So is there a strategy here? Get eyeballs right at launch with the new release/free combo, then add the pricing? I can see this helping it chart, but only for free listing, and may only be a viable strategy if you know it's going to get press coverage on a following day (of course it's a beautiful and tight game, so it should be covered.)

I also scanned their press releases and saw no mention of a 'free at launch' promo.

Thoughts?
It's a free game with IAP of $1.99 (i think) to unlock all the rest of the levels. They give you 4 levels for free and the last 27 you have to pay for. That's probably why TA featured it with a paid price, since that's the full game...

I don't want a signature.
07-29-2011, 03:39 PM
Yeah, my bad. The confusion for me is that it still doesn't show any 'top purchases' icon in the store, the way most IAP games seem to, and I hadn't noticed any upsell while playing?

I guess it's not what's happening here, but it it got me wondering if it would be crazy to launch at free for a day, then go up to paid, or you'd just be shooting yourself in the foot by missing sales at your greatest moment of exposure.

Games delivered fresh.

See AMAZING MeatBot! or visit our Dev Blog