★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: ****** ON SALE! SPECIAL LIMITED PROMOTIONAL PRICE - $0.99 ******

Cowboys & Aliens is the exclusive iOS action game based on the Cowboys & Aliens property created by Platinum Studios. You take on the role of Zeke as you defend Silver City against attacking alien invaders.

In this dual-stick shooter with strategy elements, the player sprints around Silver City taking down invading aliens and collecting valuable resources for repairing the town and upgrading its defenses. Between alien attacks the player will be able to set up or move defensive and offensive posts around the town to help stop the alien horde.

Strategic overview: Plan your defenses and upgrade your towns automated "posts" with improved firepower and weapons.

Tactical combat: Use two virtual control sticks to maneuver and fire on the aliens as they swarm the town; select and enhance your weapons to maximize stopping power.

Multiple post types: Attack nearby enemies with offensive towers and use defensive posts to augment the player's abilities.

High resolution graphics: Experience stunning detail on the iPhone 4 and iPad.

15 missions: Immerse yourself in the Cowboys & Aliens universe with hours of pulse-pounding gameplay.
07-30-2011, 08:26 AM
Game Impressions

I took a chance and regret it deeply. This is leaning towards the recent mix of Tower Defence / dual stick shooter with still pics from what I presume is the comic original.

There are numerous problems with the game though. The graphics might look decent in pictures, but seriously there is hardly any animations on the chars. Sometimes they don't move at all, and it is hard to tell if they are bugged or busy.

No variations in the missions at all (at least the first 8 or so i have played through, which all take place on the same uotra boring map).

The weapons are slow, the dual stick shooter feels bland at best, the towers are boring (and it is hard to tell if they actually make a difference) at least if you expect any kind of action or animation.

Poor effort and licensed crap at its worst.

07-30-2011, 09:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leegames View Post
Poor effort and licensed crap at its worst.
I was ready to buy this game thanks for the warning mate!

I am the punishment of GOD
if you had not committed great sins
GOD would not have sent
a punishment like me upon you Genghis Khan
07-30-2011, 12:54 PM
I cant imagine the game is that bad judging by the screenshots, but if you say those things, it seems that at 2.99 this is not a good deal.
07-30-2011, 01:07 PM
Game Impressions

HD Gameplay Trailer (iPad 2):

Note:

First 15.Minutes of Gameplay. Those Strange Glitches are from the Recording Device. I`ll try to record a second HD Gameplay Trailer to see if i can fix that.
07-30-2011, 02:57 PM
I think the above video at around 3:15 shows pretty well the feeling of the game. I am now 12 levels in. It is the same mobs (2 flying ones who acts like the others), same map and a total of 3 weapons.

It is a shame, it seems like they were told to pack it up and deliver without the time to make a finished/polished product.. especially considering that the lead character seems to be quite well made.

Last edited by Leegames; 07-30-2011 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Time
07-30-2011, 03:42 PM
I am so glad I found this thread before buying this. I think that's all that needs to be said. Thanks!
07-30-2011, 04:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown454 View Post
I am so glad I found this thread before buying this. I think that's all that needs to be said. Thanks!
Me too! Phew, that was a close one.

Leegames - thanks for taking one for the team bud!

Hall of Fame:
1. Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP 2. Machinarium 3. Limbo 4. World of Goo 5. Ridiculous Fishing: A Tale of Redemption 6. Home 7. Rayman Jungle Run 8. Space Miner: Space Ore Bust 9. Rage HD 10. 1-Bit Ninja
07-30-2011, 05:47 PM
I don't get it. Why do people say the gameplay isn't good? Looking at the video, it looks pretty decent - yeah, only one map, but it seems there are different mission types, and it's not just dual stick shooter given the "towers". Sure, the enemies seem a bit easy, but he picked the easy difficulty setting. In the harder diff. settings, do they still just stop and stand there w/o putting up much of a fight? Or are they more aggressive?

Game Designer, Web Developer, Jack-of-all-trades
www.artfoundry.com
Gamecenter ID: Delerium
Alt TA: LCDDreams
07-30-2011, 06:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artfoundry View Post
I don't get it. Why do people say the gameplay isn't good? Looking at the video, it looks pretty decent - yeah, only one map, but it seems there are different mission types, and it's not just dual stick shooter given the "towers". Sure, the enemies seem a bit easy, but he picked the easy difficulty setting. In the harder diff. settings, do they still just stop and stand there w/o putting up much of a fight? Or are they more aggressive?
The "stopping" is how they look when they fight. They do damage still.

Mission types are: now they are heading for blacksmith. Okay now they are heading for the church and the blacksmith. Ow damn they are heading for the Saloon and Blacksmith now.

But buy it and tell me you still don't get it.

Sanuku what do you think?

Last edited by Leegames; 07-30-2011 at 06:28 PM.