★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Finding Funding for your Project

07-30-2011, 10:00 PM
Finding Funding for your Project

Firstly I will say that I am a part time financier of Independent touch/flick style games and I am always looking for promising projects to fund and develop.
I do think that the individual game developers who are sitting in their bed/lounge room are the reason why the mobile games industry is where it is today and will assure the growth and prosperity of the industry into the future.
I am a gamer from a very early age, from Atari 2600 and Commodore 64 tape drive, I know what I like and what I think will in the end make money, because although the artist amongst you may say “I’m in it because I love to make Art (in some form Picture/animation/sound/code).” But in the end if your art is not appreciated and make money (either break even or Profit). Then the next game will not come. This, I think is a problem with some Independent developers.
That is the point of this first post:
Know who you pitching to, know your target audience and know “with confidence” the direction of the game. The funders will want to have an input in big decisions and be prepared to make business decisions in defiance of the Artist inside.
07-31-2011, 08:56 AM
Thank you for this. We are in complete agreement, this is a business first, and an art second. Ideally there's room for both in a game, but the hard decisions have to be purely business based (yay capitalism...). I'm looking forwards to your next tip(s)!

Our next game has a lot of investor potential, enough to give all of us on the team goosebumps and keep us awake at nights in excitement, so we will be exploring this more fully soon.

How do you recommend putting together a pitch? And how does one go about contacting and/or finding potential investors?

Last edited by BravadoWaffle; 07-31-2011 at 08:59 AM.

07-31-2011, 01:34 PM
I would love to know where I can find some investors who are willing to take a loss with the first few games in order to help grow a company- especially on the iphone market, the more games you have, the more your individual games sell.
07-31-2011, 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroCrow View Post
I would love to know where I can find some investors who are willing to take a loss with the first few games in order to help grow a company- especially on the iphone market, the more games you have, the more your individual games sell.
Hmm, I believe those are called Suckers, not Investors.

Honestly though, it would be interesting to know how far sighted a particular investor is. A lot probably has to do with how well you present yourself and pitch your company.
07-31-2011, 09:45 PM
If you are expecting an investor to take a loss on a couple of games before make a 'green' game. Expect a lot of knock backs. These people who give out money into what the believe to be 'losers' will eventually disappear. There is a saying that the market will remove bad investors, this is true with any market, stock/ housing even basketball cards, if you buy assets that are going to lose money you will run out. Start ups only get investors after an idea or a product, (some are the exception don't get me wrong). That said, tip 2, only ask, if you are pitching,
for a percent of the calculated development cost, to use a very public product, Angry Birds: " 100,000 euro's to produce" if they pitched 50k for half the game, they would of received a flat 'get out!' ( without 20/20 hindsight) But if the pitch was 25 or 20 for a 50 split then it is a lot more attractive to the person/company taking up the 'RISK'. Don't be mistaken risk is what will get you funded. If you reduce risk for an investor you will attract. ask yourself if you had 20-30 grand sitting around would you give it to someone just out of university ( generality) to make a game that may or may not give you your money back or be that .1% chance that make good money.

Remember when investing:

"Profit is made before you buy, not when you sell!"
08-01-2011, 03:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Touchjudge View Post
But if the pitch was 25 or 20 for a 50 split then it is a lot more attractive to the person/company taking up the 'RISK'.
it means that the investor for 20-25% of the risk he get 50% and YOU for 75% to 80% of the risk you get 50%. + He do nothing, and you work...
-> you are a bad investor
Unless the money is made to pay your own salary, you better get 100% of the investement in that case.

The investor bring the money and you bring your work and expertise (and some money to prove that you believe in the project).

And if you just go out of university what ever you ask, NO investor will give you money.
08-01-2011, 04:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercule View Post
it means that the investor for 20-25% of the risk he get 50% and YOU for 75% to 80% of the risk you get 50%. + He do nothing, and you work...
-> you are a bad investor
Unless the money is made to pay your own salary, you better get 100% of the investement in that case.

The investor bring the money and you bring your work and expertise (and some money to prove that you believe in the project).

And if you just go out of university what ever you ask, NO investor will give you money.
its 20-25k (money) not %

and of course students never come up with brilliant ideas that get invested into.. like facebook.. *cough*

most likely no one invests in just ideas.. but if you have a running game and can show of your ideas in an interactive manner.. you can get funded..

thats the way most of game developement worked over the years.. pitching prototypes & proof of concepts to various publishers etc.

of course that won't work for the next run of the mill endless jumper, runner, gunner whatever.. but enough developer got under the cover from different publishers..

you don't need to be 20 years in the biz to be able to create an competive mobile game.

sometimes it can be even a problem if you only worked on big titles for years.. because its then even harder to make smaller games and you need to force yourself to put only one candle on the tiny cake and not 20, because there is not enough space but one lives and learns
08-02-2011, 02:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.Ugly View Post
its 20-25k (money) not %

and of course students never come up with brilliant ideas that get invested into.. like facebook.. *cough*
20-25K for a 100K budget game is 20-25% of the money risk, no?
But maybe my math is a little rough

I didn't say no student have good idea.
But like you say no one invest on student only idea.

Student just go out of university != Facebook
( facebook is just the second business of a student, and receive a first investement for 7% of the company, when the business was already successfull..)

Last edited by Hercule; 08-02-2011 at 02:57 AM.
08-02-2011, 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercule View Post
20-25K for a 100K budget game is 20-25% of the money risk, no?
But maybe my math is a little rough

I didn't say no student have good idea.
But like you say no one invest on student only idea.

Student just go out of university != Facebook
( facebook is just the second business of a student, and receive a first investement for 7% of the company, when the business was already successfull..)
Considering without them you'd have no money, they're entitled to a larger cut and you'd have to make do with the smaller budget.
08-02-2011, 07:41 PM
We invest in apps!

We invest in apps. if interested, send me a pitch!