★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Vector Conflict: The Siege ---> Free [FAAD]

08-01-2011, 03:10 AM
#1
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,572
Vector Conflict: The Siege ---> Free [FAAD]


08-01-2011, 03:28 AM
#2
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Minneapolis, USA
Posts: 3,654
It's a decent game, worth a look if you like retro vector-style arcade games. Despite protestations to the contrary, it's basically Battlezone as a tap game, but with weapons upgrades etc.

08-01-2011, 03:32 AM
#3
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Transient.
Posts: 316
Gonna grab this Thank you!

My game recommendations:
Hard Lines - Comboline - Magnetic Billiards Blueprint - Canabalt - The Blocks Cometh - Gangstar: Miami Vindication - Puppet War - Tetris - Dalton - Siege Hero - Cuddle Bears - Doom Classic - Space Leap - Bug Heroes - Startales
08-01-2011, 04:55 AM
#4
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,251
Fairly fun game, though really short. Finished it in under an hour. Worth the price of free
08-01-2011, 05:19 AM
#5
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Transient.
Posts: 316
I played like the first couple of waves and my first impression is this is much too hard (not challenging, but hard in the cheap sorta way) to be a truly good iPhone game. Before this gets a backlash, I mean hard for an iPhone game. My number one genre on my iPhone is Endless Runner's. I use my iPhone for tiny, mindless time wasters and this game requires some actual effort and concentration. And although by no means a bad thing, it just isn't the kind of thing I look for on my iPhone.

I love the style of it though and it can be pretty rewarding to survive a really hectic wave. I think the upgrades menu needs some work though. Some of the most important upgrades are the most expensive and without them the game is even harder but to get them you need to survive but to survive you need them... you see my point.

My game recommendations:
Hard Lines - Comboline - Magnetic Billiards Blueprint - Canabalt - The Blocks Cometh - Gangstar: Miami Vindication - Puppet War - Tetris - Dalton - Siege Hero - Cuddle Bears - Doom Classic - Space Leap - Bug Heroes - Startales
08-01-2011, 05:54 AM
#6
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsizing Heart View Post
I played like the first couple of waves and my first impression is this is much too hard (not challenging, but hard in the cheap sorta way) to be a truly good iPhone game. Before this gets a backlash, I mean hard for an iPhone game. My number one genre on my iPhone is Endless Runner's. I use my iPhone for tiny, mindless time wasters and this game requires some actual effort and concentration. And although by no means a bad thing, it just isn't the kind of thing I look for on my iPhone.

I love the style of it though and it can be pretty rewarding to survive a really hectic wave. I think the upgrades menu needs some work though. Some of the most important upgrades are the most expensive and without them the game is even harder but to get them you need to survive but to survive you need them... you see my point.
Where's the fun in a game if there is no challenge? This game doesn't require a whole lot of effort. It's not that hard. it's a little challenging and not in a cheap way. You can get all the upgrades by the time you complete the game, and the upgrades are well thought out so to not make the game way too easy. And that's how a lot of games are, the best upgrades are the most expensive and for good reason. How can you complain about something like that?

There's a lot of different games out there on the iPhone and a lot of them aren't mindless games. This isn't one of them, but it's not a very difficult game at all and not cheap in any way and your average iPhone game should be able to complete this game in a couple of hours or less.

It's a good buy. Got it with a code a little while ago.
08-01-2011, 06:01 AM
#7
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Transient.
Posts: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma32 View Post
Where's the fun in a game if there is no challenge? This game doesn't require a whole lot of effort. It's not that hard. it's a little challenging and not in a cheap way. You can get all the upgrades by the time you complete the game, and the upgrades are well thought out so to not make the game way too easy. And that's how a lot of games are, the best upgrades are the most expensive and for good reason. How can you complain about something like that?

There's a lot of different games out there on the iPhone and a lot of them aren't mindless games. This isn't one of them, but it's not a very difficult game at all and not cheap in any way and your average iPhone game should be able to complete this game in a couple of hours or less.

It's a good buy. Got it with a code a little while ago.
Because I have my console for my challenge. I use my iPhone for gaming while say, waiting for the bus, for a game thats only purpose is to fill five minutes, I don't want something that will frustrate me or get me stuck. It always annoys me, the cheap people who ask for bigger 'proper' games on the iPhone, just go buy a bloody console you cheapskate. And sure you can get the upgrades eventually, but at the beginning the upgrades you need the most are placed out of your reach, unless you sacrifice other crucial things as well. And yes, the best upgrades should be the most expensive, but the necessities shouldn't.

I think swarming you from all sides to bump up its difficulty is pretty cheap and I still stand by the fact that for an average iPhone game this is pretty hard.

My game recommendations:
Hard Lines - Comboline - Magnetic Billiards Blueprint - Canabalt - The Blocks Cometh - Gangstar: Miami Vindication - Puppet War - Tetris - Dalton - Siege Hero - Cuddle Bears - Doom Classic - Space Leap - Bug Heroes - Startales
08-01-2011, 08:35 AM
#8
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsizing Heart View Post
I played like the first couple of waves and my first impression is this is much too hard (not challenging, but hard in the cheap sorta way) to be a truly good iPhone game. Before this gets a backlash, I mean hard for an iPhone game. My number one genre on my iPhone is Endless Runner's. I use my iPhone for tiny, mindless time wasters and this game requires some actual effort and concentration. And although by no means a bad thing, it just isn't the kind of thing I look for on my iPhone.

I love the style of it though and it can be pretty rewarding to survive a really hectic wave. I think the upgrades menu needs some work though. Some of the most important upgrades are the most expensive and without them the game is even harder but to get them you need to survive but to survive you need them... you see my point.
Sounds more like a general statement for non-casual games. I can practically copy and paste that to alot of iOS games - dead space, real racing 2, galaxy on fire 2 and it will hold true. If u dont play real games on ios devices, then good for u, play what you want, u dont need to complain about games cuz theyre not casual.

Its nice that u use your phony for baby casual games, but alot of us have ipads and iphones as our most used gaming systems, so its not cool one bit you call us cheapscates - wtf really? So we do want games like gta chinatown wars, galaxy on fire 2, street fighter 4, real racing 2, devil may cry, etc. And the great thing is that these games have a much lower price tag and we can buy and play more of them. This is why nintendo is struggling more, cuz gamers like me have flocked to devices like these. I have an xbox 360 and a ps3, but since i got the ios devices i havent touched them in many months. Glad i sold off the wii when people were going nuts off it, got to love ebay people willing to pay 3x the worth

Also if u do play console games for general type of gamers, this game shouldnt strike u as hard or cheap. It strikes a nice balance for the players of what they need to upgrade and decide later what they can upgrade later. A wave can be hectic tho it is not hard. I beat the game quickly and never died once.
08-01-2011, 08:48 AM
#9
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Transient.
Posts: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykikgmr View Post
Sounds more like a general statement for non-casual games. I can practically copy and paste that to alot of iOS games - dead space, real racing 2, galaxy on fire 2 and it will hold true. If u dont play real games on ios devices, then good for u, play what you want, u dont need to complain about games cuz theyre not casual.

Its nice that u use your phony for baby casual games, but alot of us have ipads and iphones as our most used gaming systems, so its not cool one bit you call us cheapscates - wtf really? So we do want games like gta chinatown wars, galaxy on fire 2, street fighter 4, real racing 2, devil may cry, etc. And the great thing is that these games have a much lower price tag and we can buy and play more of them. This is why nintendo is struggling more, cuz gamers like me have flocked to devices like these. I have an xbox 360 and a ps3, but since i got the ios devices i havent touched them in many months. Glad i sold off the wii when people were going nuts off it, got to love ebay people willing to pay 3x the worth

Also if u do play console games for general type of gamers, this game shouldnt strike u as hard or cheap. It strikes a nice balance for the players of what they need to upgrade and decide later what they can upgrade later. A wave can be hectic tho it is not hard. I beat the game quickly and never died once.
Casual/hard etc are pretty meaningless concepts anyway. Since you always get one 'hardcore' faggot claiming he beat Ninja Gaiden one handed while asleep cuz it was like SO EAZY BRO. For some reason wanting to go back to when gaming had three continues or you went back to the start regardless of your progress. I mean why you'd want to go back to that...I will never understand. Sounds about as fun as eating your own fingers. But in my opinion what is casual and what is hard on the iPhone are EXTREMELY different definitions to what I'd give console games. Yeah if this game was on consoles I wouldn't call it hard, but I'd still call it cheap. But I will never see portable gaming as a serious platform like console gaming. So all I want is nice short burst casual experiences. I mean sure you can challenge or frustrate me, a lot of endless runners can. But a game like this is just cheap to bump up the difficulty and I'm not looking for this sort of game on my iPhone. I mean it isn't a bad game. And visually really pleasing. Just not what I'm personally looking for.

Your defence for not being a cheapskate is that the games are cheaper on iOS? Sweet sweet, irony.

My game recommendations:
Hard Lines - Comboline - Magnetic Billiards Blueprint - Canabalt - The Blocks Cometh - Gangstar: Miami Vindication - Puppet War - Tetris - Dalton - Siege Hero - Cuddle Bears - Doom Classic - Space Leap - Bug Heroes - Startales
08-01-2011, 09:13 AM
#10
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,251
"It always annoys me, the cheap people who ask for bigger 'proper' games on the iPhone, just go buy a bloody console you cheapskate."

There's nothing wrong with wanting to play console games on the go...it's especially nice on jailbroken iPad 2s with emulators. Why pay for another expensive system (a system you can't take with you on the go) if you can have a lot of fun playing both casual and hardcore, old style games and new games on a portable system you already own? It's especially true in my case as the PS3 just sits there and collects dust nowadays. It's perfectly OK you only play casual games on your iPhone, but bashing others for wanting to play the many different types of games they want to play on their favorite systems is sad.