★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: a game with BALLS (Puppy Punch Productions)

08-02-2011, 05:54 PM
a game with BALLS (Puppy Punch Productions)

Hey all!

We're an indie studio located in the sunny state of Florida, and our first game is coming out this Thursday (8/4)! Feel free to ask us any questions about the game and provide feedback once it's out. We'll be looking at suggestions for future updates (we already have a lot of stuff we're looking at from your excellent feedback in the beta)!

EDIT: Gamecenter Achievements & Leaderboards aren't in the current market version, but have already been submitted in an update (version 2.1). This should be approved and live thursday/friday!

a game with BALLS
Quote:
67% OFF!!! ON SALE NOW for .99!!!
Balls rain from the sky. In a chaotic frenzy you attempt to destroy them to no avail. You resign to your fate. At the last moment your mind becomes clear and you begin to... understand. Why destroy them? Why not brush them aside, effortlessly? You transcend, a mystical shield arises from inside. Now a tap of your finger can solve anything...
  • Simple Gameplay, Complex Mechanics
    • One finger fires light balls, two fires heavy
    • If you’re not careful things can get to hectic, so firing a strategic small ball is often better than a pair of big ones!
  • 4 INFINITE Games in ONE!!
    • Each theme has different gameplay mechanics, songs, balls, difficulty modes, and more! See how long you can survive in each!
    • Collect all the Game Center & Open Feint achievements to prove you’re a true Ball Master! Check out the leaderboards to compare your times against the world.
Like us on Facebook: facebook.com/puppypunch
Follow us on Twitter: twitter.com/puppypunch

BETA WINNERS:
$100 - TheEvilNoob
$20 - Crex
$10 - phattestfatty
Thanks for all your hard work!!!

-Laura

Last edited by Laura@PuppyPunch; 08-03-2011 at 10:48 AM.
08-02-2011, 05:56 PM
Doctor of Game of the Week-ology
Congrats on the release! It was a pleasure to beta test!

Definitely recommended to everyone when it arrives!

08-02-2011, 10:09 PM
This looks very cool!

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
08-02-2011, 10:47 PM
I like the looks of this as well. Not 100% clear on what the objective is though.
08-03-2011, 05:32 AM
A Game With Balls - (by Edward DiNola) [NZ] - Universal App

Retina Screenshots
(click to enlarge)

iPad Screenshots:
(click to enlarge)

Last edited by ImNoSuperMan; 08-04-2011 at 05:42 AM.
08-03-2011, 05:34 AM
Looks interesting...

Gameloft Live: IDontKiIIPpl (idontkiippl without capital letters)

I make EDM music No I'm not some pro who's signed to some major lable.http://YouTube.com/okayyymc3
08-03-2011, 10:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
I like the looks of this as well. Not 100% clear on what the objective is though.
The objective of the game is to protect your cannon from objects falling from the screen and see how long you can survive. These objects both fall differently from one another and react differently to being shot. For example, on bubblegumODYSSEY there all balls which when shot instantly get more mass and drop much faster and on etherVISION there all balls which clump together when hit. Each of these objects require different strategies to get past; i.e. if you don't separate the clump balls they can take up the whole screen and kill you!

There's three difficulty modes and 4 themes. Each theme has an entirely different art-style/music and objects whose patterns match that feel.
08-03-2011, 07:23 PM
I might just have to pick this game up. I love the art style.
08-03-2011, 10:05 PM
I can't wait. I love the concept.
08-04-2011, 03:58 AM
Game Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura@PuppyPunch View Post
The objective of the game is to protect your cannon from objects falling from the screen and see how long you can survive. These objects both fall differently from one another and react differently to being shot. For example, on bubblegumODYSSEY there all balls which when shot instantly get more mass and drop much faster and on etherVISION there all balls which clump together when hit. Each of these objects require different strategies to get past; i.e. if you don't separate the clump balls they can take up the whole screen and kill you!

There's three difficulty modes and 4 themes. Each theme has an entirely different art-style/music and objects whose patterns match that feel.
Having now played it a bit I can testify the dev's description decently sums up the basic gameplay. Unlike most shooters, you're essentially just using non-lethal rubber bullets since there is no way to destroy any of the falling objects. Using tilt or touch controls you fire small or large bullets (large bullets fire a bit slower and use up multiple bullets from your limited but ever regenerating ammo supply), you use your cannon to keep the objects from hitting you.

Your score is simply how long you can last on a given theme (things get progressively denser over time). The game tracks your best time in each theme at each difficulty (so 12 unique leaderboards). You earn game credits based on how many seconds you last which then can be spent to unlock the game's other 3 themes.

What really makes this minimalistic/surreal game extra fun for me is the variety of objects that all have unique characteristics (shape, mass, etc.) which require the player adapt accordingly. Just shooting everything willy-nilly will surely get you killed.

4/5

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews